What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 13.3 this morning with the basement temp at 70 and the temps up here between 67 to 69. The Liberty saw a load of ash this morning.

Mild night 40f so mild load. Stove room at 65

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

The cold weather broke and it will be mild for a few days..going to load up a 3/4 load of ash tonight and let the stove go cold tomorrow

Woke up late and tossed in a full load of pure locust before we headed out to mass. Mid afternoon partial reload with punky and shorts oaks loaded N/S. Getting ready to bed - full reload with about 40% bricks and 60% locust. Going to turn down air reeeeeeal soon since I'm burning about 12 pieces of bricks.

Nice warm evening + morning coming right up.

Grabbed some locust to see how well its seasoned. Mixed 4 splits with some elm for overnight.

A couple mornings ago we had 4.3, I ran the pellet stove so up here was 68 to 70. This morning was minus 4.8, I went with the wood stove with some ash, it was cooler in the house, 64 and 65 this morning.

Yesterday I did a full clean on the pellet stove but still had one thing that needed checking today, I did that and the pellet stove is running with the temp up here between 68 and 72.

We did take in a hockey game yesterday afternoon and then went out to eat, we don't burn when we're not home so we're getting caught up on the house temps today.

We watched Slovakia play the United States in hockey at Clarkson University, Slovakia won.

Last edited:
We have 8.4 tonight, the temps up here are between 68 (the sleeper) and 70. We'll run the pellet stove tonight since the temps kept dropping last night.

Struggled with to get the reload to light this morning. It's the same wood... oak and locust. Usually I wake up, turn air to max and let the stove recover temperature for 5, 10min, but I skipped this step this morning... and the coal bed was already a bit tired. Had plenty of largish square and uniform splits that I stacked pretty tight, and before you know it my coals are mostly burnt out and the wood are stacked so tight they are barely breathing.

Found some shorts that I tossed to the side of stove to rekindle a flame and left door open for good half hour until all wood is charred. All in all, almost an hour into the exercise and finally I'm starting to get some heat.

I think the temp was around 8 this morning, the basement was 77 and the temps up here were between 66 to 68, we're back over to the wood stove this morning.

First yearer here. I have about 4 cords of dry oak stashed but have been cutting standing dead stuff and bringing in 2 days worth to burn before the bugs wake up. Running all on the dead stuff in the vid. Making good heat, good flue temps, no creosote. Will be the coal bed for overnight. Also been cutting lots of live cherry and hickory for 2024.

Attachments

• VID_20230117_212918255.mp4
    11.9 MB
Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 30.9 out tonight with a load of ash in the wood stove. The basement temp is 77 heading up with the temps up here 69 and 70.

Back up to the warm temps. Did a 3/4 load of ash overnight. Woke up to house temp at 76. Supposed to be in the 40s all day (12 degrees warmer than what it should be).eating the stove go cold today.
Saving a lot of wood for next season with this weather.

@Wisdomoak159#19 with the air all the way up, probably. The furnace is rated 190,000BTU/H and takes 30" logs. I try to aim for 24" because big rounds over that are very heavy, and 24 works for cord stacking. Not sure why this giant was installed. Have to be smart about loading it and setting the air. If you search used ones you'll find a lot have black squares on the outsides above the firebox.

Reactions: Vg3200p
Still had a pretty thick layer of coal on the bottom of stove this morning, so I loaded N/S with some thick knarly oak + some biobricks. Probably do a full reload early afternoon which will take me to midnight.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Had some nice coals from last nights burn. Loaded up with more oak this morning before work at 530. Won’t be home until 5, so probably won’t have enough coals to restart but it’s going to be 54 today so the house should still be warm when I get home. If not that’s what the furnace is for

Reactions: Gearhead660
I think the outside temp was 32.9 this morning, the basement was 72, the temps up here were 68 and 69. Another load of ash went in the Lopi Liberty this morning.

Had some nice coals from last nights burn. Loaded up with more oak this morning before work at 530. Won’t be home until 5, so probably won’t have enough coals to restart but it’s going to be 54 today so the house should still be warm when I get home. If not that’s what the furnace is for
Had enough coals left from a 12 hour burn to get another fire going with a little bit of help from my copper blow tube. More oak loaded up

Today it’s what I believe is cotton wood. Super light . Burns fairly quick but I can still load the stove at night and wake up to a nice bed of coals to load more wood on. I would normally cut this but a have a few on my property and one fell across the driveway. Keeps the house plenty warm during these warmer winter days in the 40s and high 20s at night.