What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Gone through 2.5 loads today -

~7:30am, full load, oaks
~2pm, partial load, assorted hardwood and 2 biobricks
~8:30pm, full load, (I think ash?) and locust

House basically stabilizing to ~65F. I think it peaked around 4, 5pm at 66F. Only time oil kicks in is to maintain my work area ~65F (I've done the analysis, oil is cheapest option).

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 6.6 tonight, the basement temp is 77 and the temp up here is 68, tonight we'll burn the pellet stove for the constant heat overnight.

That load just gave us a true overfire. Flue surface temps at 725. And stt of almost 1000. The middle of top plate was glowing red. And it got warped. Pulled 4 or six splits out to get it under control. That was an intense 20 mins. Looks like it's time for a key dampner

View attachment 307265
Thats some scary stuff right there I’m glad you’re ok. I’ve had to take wood out of my last stove because of runaways. Definitely not a fun time. Also turns out the glass gasket was installed wrong leading to all the runaways and short burn times. Had no idea until I saw someone describing how to do a glass gasket

Reactions: Vg3200p
28F overnight, high 30s today. Packed 5, 6in hardwood splits onto a bed of tired coal... took almost 10min with door open before I got a reasonable fire. Top layer was biobricks, so once those caught on at ~20min mark, I got consistent secondary flames. Smoke completely clear by ~30min mark.

We had 3.7 this morning, guess I should've turned up the feed rate on the pellet stove because the basement was only 71 and the temps up here was 65 and 66.

I loaded up the wood stove with pine and ash this morning.

Reactions: Vg3200p
We had 22.7 this morning, I ran a bag of pellets overnight on manual mode so the basement hit a high of 81 during the night and up here is between 70-72.

After I shut off the pellet stove and had coffee, the basement started off at 77 with the same temps up here, our first fire in the wood stove is all pine.

We have close to an inch of rain starting this afternoon so we'll get a few more loads of ash in today.

Outside temps have continued to rise through the evening. Currently 50F and supposed to warm a few degrees yet overnight....could have probably let the stove go out for the night but just loaded a half load of ash to simmer until morning. Temps are supposed to fall throughout the day tomorrow and I don't feel like lighting a cold stove before work.

75% reload on top of super hot coal. Tomorrow should be in high 40s / low 50s, going to burn down coals some point tomorrow to clean out ashes.

We had some heavy rains that should turn to sleet/ice, the outside temp is 34 with the basement starting at 77 and the temps up here 70 and 71.

The wood stove has five splits of ash for the overnight load.

Reactions: zmender
Something strange going on, this morning woke up to a 70F living room... I'm looking around to see if I had a rogue heater turned on somewhere but all were off. Have pretty thick coal left so letting it burn off for ash cleaning later this morning.

This is a guess but the temps this morning was around 27, up here was between 67 to 69. The first load was five splits of ash and the wife burned some cookies while I was plowing today.

I just put on two splits of ash so we have some coals for the overnight load. The basement is 79, up here is 73 and the sleeper is 70. The outside temp is around 21.

Reactions: spuldup and zmender
This is a guess but the temps this morning was around 27, up here was between 67 to 69. The first load was five splits of ash and the wife burned some cookies while I was plowing today.

I just put on two splits of ash so we have some coals for the overnight load. The basement is 79, up here is 73 and the sleeper is 70. The outside temp is around 21.
Lol on the cookies!!!

Just did the weekend pre-bedtime stoke up load. Should make a nice bed of coals for the overnight. Being the weekend, I may sleep till 8AM instead of 5 so I need this pre-bed before the overnight burn. Amazing how woodburning really makes you a steward of time.

Down to about 20 tonight, nice big load of ash, maple and birch just went in.

It's 19.2 out tonight with the basement temp starting out at 77, up here is 71 and the sleeper is 70.

The wood stove has seven splits of ash in it for the overnight load.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Load of white oak with a red oak round. Should leave plenty of coals by the time I get out of the deer stand for dinner.