What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Low 40s here rainy drizzly no wind . Mixed bag of Red Oak Black Locust and Spruce

Reactions: thewoodlands
Temps were in the 20's this morning. I woke up and checked the firebox of my All Nighter Moe, which I found still had some coals from last nights overnight burn. I tossed in a few pieces of pine to get it started up again, shortly followed by a link or two of cherry which coal up real nice, and topped off with some ash splits to last a few hours.

I vary my wood types by time of day, outside/inside temps, and length of burn. What is in your stove right now?

It's 33.3 outside tonight with the basement temp starting at 75, up here between 69 to 70 with the sleeper at 68.

The wood stove has a load of ash for the overnight load.

Reactions: Oakey
Slept in this morning and only had a small handful of mostly dead coal. The stove definitely needed a pick-me-up. Full load but with a layer of kindling on top of raked coal, and in the spaces between wall and end of wood I filled up with cardboard. Took 45min before I could turn down primary but the stove is cruising now.

Its been a nice few warm days in the last week. On the bright side, barely had to burn any firewood, It Sucks as all the snow melted and have to travel north for better snowboarding conditions.

35 outside and 73 Inside. Have a good fire going.

We had a low of 22.3 this morning, before our first fire the basement temp was 72, the sleeper was 67 with the dining room, kitchen and the living room at 68.

Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

Full load just went in. Going into 20s tonight, I’d rather be too hot than too cold.
What are you burning? I just put four pine splits on some coals from the ash we're burning.

Reactions: NickW
Burned some bark this morning to get the overnight coals down and then let it go down to mostly ash to clean it out. Just loaded a mixed bag of ash, box elder and aspen to get to tonight. Colder yesterday, today and tomorrow. Highs maybe to 30.

What are you burning? I just put four pine splits on some coals from the ash we're burning.

I have 4 "stashes" of fuel.
1. Locust 2~3 years. Typically 15%~18% MC.
2. Biobricks.
3. Random hardwood I bought from local dealers. Last batch was purchased more than a year ago, typically <20% MC.
4. Oak / beech that I CSS'ed last winter / spring. Typically 20~22%MC. I always have a couple of those splits "toasting" near the stove and burn them after they are deeply cracked after 2~3 days (about 10~15% MC edge).

For this particular load, it's about 50/50 locust and junk hardwood.

Edit: changed from "3. junk hardwood" to "3. random hardwood". It's not always bad wood, I just can't identify half of them.

The outside temp is at 17.4, the basement temp started out at 75 with the temps up here 69 to 70.

We still had good coals in the wood stove but since I plan on burning the pellet stove tonight, I loaded up the wood stove with some ash.

When I turn the pellet stove on a bit later, I'll push the air in so the coals burn in the wood stove and take some ashes out tomorrow morning.

Reactions: mpaul
I have 4 "stashes" of fuel.
1. Locust 2~3 years. Typically 15%~18% MC.
2. Biobricks.
3. Random hardwood I bought from local dealers. Last batch was purchased more than a year ago, typically <20% MC.
4. Oak / beech that I CSS'ed last winter / spring. Typically 20~22%MC. I always have a couple of those splits "toasting" near the stove and burn them after they are deeply cracked after 2~3 days (about 10~15% MC edge).

For this particular load, it's about 50/50 locust and junk hardwood.

Edit: changed from "3. junk hardwood" to "3. random hardwood". It's not always bad wood, I just can't identify half of them.
That's some nice high btu firewood. I keep thinking that we'll start bringing in beech and ironwood for the coldest temps but I'm not seeing any real cold weather through January 20.

Ran a load of shorts and uglies on high when I got home since I only had a few pieces left of wood this morning, not enough for a long burn. Tonight is probably a mix of ash and cherry.

My old man and I are in Southern Utah. I haven’t installed my stove(jotul 118) in my cabin yet, but he’s been using his(jotul 602) for a couple years. Where we are at we have Juniper (closely related to red cedar), and Pinion Pine readily available (we own 40 acres of them). We use pine to start the fire as it’s much less dense and ignites quick. Then we add juniper as it burns longer (also juniper smoke is awful and once the stove and chimney are heated by more mild pine it sucks up the awful smoke from the juniper and doesn’t stink things up in the building). We recently found an old burnt dead Gambel Oak grove with HUGE trunks. We have started cutting that in truck loads and bringing it up. We cut some pieces specifically for the stoves as it burns hotter and WAY longer than the coniferous trees we have around us(great for right before bed). Often we still have oak coals in the morning to easily start a morning fire. We also use a 55 gallon drum to make our own charcoal out of the oak. Excellent for cooking and smoking. This spring I am building a smoke house.

Reactions: Vg3200p
That's some nice high btu firewood. I keep thinking that we'll start bringing in beech and ironwood for the coldest temps but I'm not seeing any real cold weather through January 20.
Toasting wood… by the looks of it, another reload is needed in about hour or two.

Those are good btu wood for sure. I think I’m doing well given the stove I have; however I’m certain that I’m leaving a lot of btu on the table as well

Reloaded with some hardwood splits and 8 biobricks. Wowowo these bricks take off fast and furious. I kept the throttle at ~50% and turned down to 25% as soon as I saw the first sign of secondary, and wow they are taking off.

The outside temp this morning was 14, the basement was 77 and the rooms up here were between 68 and 70. We're off the pellet stove and back to burning the wood stove, ash and pine.