What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We are at 60 now both stoves are cold to warm for a fire. I have one basement window cracked to let in some fresh air right now. A big temp change from less than a week ago. Temps are going to be warmer here for the next few days. The garage is loaded back up with oak, ash and some locust. Along with the kindling barrel full. Mother nature will change her mond soon and bring the cold back.

We has 39.5 for an outside temp this morning, the basement was 70 and the temps up here were between 68-69.

The fire this morning was pine with one split of ash, I think the wife had a second fire after we put in another two loads of pine. The temps up here are between 72 and 74 with an outside temp just below 50.

I missed opportunity...

Still an inch of coal bed around 4pm, but now we have company over and wife demands I build the fire backup. I'm too cheap to waste cord wood, so found an armful of thicker blown down branches that's everywhere in the yard. Yeah I know it's moist, but I have door fully open and using the stove as a fireplace now.

I guess I'll reload this evening for a small overnight fire and hope it all burns down tomorrow morning...

I missed opportunity...

Still an inch of coal bed around 4pm, but now we have company over and wife demands I build the fire backup. I'm too cheap to waste cord wood, so found an armful of thicker blown down branches that's everywhere in the yard. Yeah I know it's moist, but I have door fully open and using the stove as a fireplace now.

I guess I'll reload this evening for a small overnight fire and hope it all burns down tomorrow morning...
Maybe for the over night burn close the air just to 50 or 60 percent. That might help burn it down vs closing the air all the way down

@PAbeech yup def agreed that a different burn strategy is needed tonight.

Since I'm burning junk wet wood tonight (forgive me for I have sinned), door will either be cracked open or air fully open. No "reloads" per se - it's just tossing a log in now and then as fire gets low. The stove will be downgraded to a fireplace tonight.

Edit: My goal tonight is not BTU production... it's to have a lively fire and keep the flue temp high.

After small ash fire this morning, house got up to 78. Still cooling off with overnight lows in the 40s. Just keeping to that one fire this morning and will let the stove stay cold overnight. Will likely need a small fire in the morning to get any chill out. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow with temps in the 50s.

I really enjoyed last weeks challenge of keeping the house warm with the single digit temps as opposed to this warm up.

After small ash fire this morning, house got up to 78. Still cooling off with overnight lows in the 40s. Just keeping to that one fire this morning and will let the stove stay cold overnight. Will likely need a small fire in the morning to get any chill out. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow with temps in the 50s.

I really enjoyed last weeks challenge of keeping the house warm with the single digit temps as opposed to this warm up.
I'm the opposite. Couldn't hardly keep up with the cold and had to keep reloading on too many coals, so I couldn't ever get any ash out. Spent almost the whole day Wednesday burning the coals down to ash with bark. Didn't help that while I was gone for 3 weeks I don't think ash ever got cleaned out...

This is nice now. Clean out some ash in the morning, fire it up with some crap wood, clean a little more ash in the afternoon, small crap wood fire to heat it up, load for overnight.

I'm the opposite. Couldn't hardly keep up with the cold and had to keep reloading on too many coals, so I couldn't ever get any ash out. Spent almost the whole day Wednesday burning the coals down to ash with bark. Didn't help that while I was gone for 3 weeks I don't think ash ever got cleaned out...

This is nice now. Clean out some ash in the morning, fire it up with some crap wood, clean a little more ash in the afternoon, small crap wood fire to heat it up, load for overnight.
My stove struggles to keep up when there are sustained low single digit temps. I had similar issues with reloads on large bed of coals.
My heat kicks on if temps in the house drop below 60. Heat kicked on a few times during that cold snap.
Knowing I have the heat as a backup, i enjoy the challenge of how hard can I push the stove to keep up and avoid paying for propane heat.

My stove struggles to keep up when there are sustained low single digit temps. I had similar issues with reloads on large bed of coals.
My heat kicks on if temps in the house drop below 60. Heat kicked on a few times during that cold snap.
Knowing I have the heat as a backup, i enjoy the challenge of how hard can I push the stove to keep up and avoid paying for propane heat.
I hate the crinkle of our electric baseboard heaters kicking in. Just see dollars flying out the windows...

It's still 72 up here so the wife said she didn't want a fire, last year at this time, I think the cold air started to come down and last the whole month of January. The outside temp is 40.5.

With all the pine we have burned this year, we still haven't burned two face cord of hardwood. Hopefully January and February won't eat away at the the hardwood stacks....but those months usually do.

Well I think the weather was off just a smidge, it snowed briefly this morning but warmed up and changed to rain. It’s been raining all day and still going, now they’re calling for the snow tomorrow into Sunday. We’ll see. Currently 35 out feels like in the 20s, winds the same and house is 71. Another load of pine for tonight.

This morning still had a bed of coal left, despite I didn’t reload lasnight and left air open. I’m starting to admire the fighting spirit of this fire and decided to keep a couple pieces of coal behind to relight.

Cleaned out about a gallon or two of ashes, used a couple of used bamboo skewers to reignite the flame from coals. Flame caught on almost immediately although lack of draft spewed a bit of smoke back into the house. A few pieces of small splits on bottom and back to burning oak shorts.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

you use a lot of pine with cooler (not cold) temps. Just curious how many times a day do you load your stove?
Im in northern Nevada softwoods are generally all I have so pine goes in for everything, when I do have hard woods (1 local natural species, or something from a tree job) I tend to hoard it for temps around 10 or below.

To answer your question it just depends; I can fill it up and be on 12 hour cycles, or I can baby it and throw a few pieces in here and there.

This time last week it was 8 deg with a biting wind, today its 55 deg, stove is out and ashes will be removed, very happy with my setup's overall performance, including the loading schedule, while I like the winter, the weather and colder temps. I did not like last week, and I dont think many people liked the cold last week either.

After the wife said she didn't want a fire last night, she changed her mind, we had a pine fire with the temps up here this morning at 67 to 68, the outside temp was 38.5 this morning.

Another load of pine went in the Liberty this morning.