What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just dropped in a bit of Oak

28F this morning, living room 60F. A bit lazy and didn't really rebuild the fire with oak and bricks till around 9am. This didn't heat the house fast enough and oil furnace kicked at 9:30 and now oil + stove combined living room is at 64F.

Mostly oak with locust and Osage Orange around 12:30 am. Outside temps 24°.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
It’s now 10:15 am and still cooking a decent coal bed. House is really warm so I won’t reload for a while. Current outside temp 30° and pretty still.

Yeah we’ve got an atmospheric river moving in, bringing rain and snow from tonight into late next week. Calling for up to another 10”. How are you fairing over there?
We're still getting some snow but nothing like Watertown NY or Buffalo received. I moved a chit load of snow today before the melt and the rain gets here.

Reactions: MMH and dafattkidd
We had 19.1 this morning with the temps up here between 67 and 69 with the basement temp at 73. Another load of ash went in the wood stove before our first cup of coffee.

Reactions: MMH and mpaul
Reloading again… however, the zero degree temps are gone… warming up to 50’s tomorrow…
But, it’s only December-January soon…

View attachment 306320
That wood looks perfect- uniform cut, looking super clean. My splits are all different lengths, covered in dirt, grayed from years of weather, black and brown spots from gross random things that grow on firewood. They certainly don't look like those beautiful splits you have.

Scoped out about a gallon of ashes, and wow the remaining coals instantly turned from half dead to simmering with blue flames.

Full reload with some punky oak that I’ve dried out next to stove past coupe days and biobricks. Around midnight I’ll top off with splits or bricks, whatever fits. Rest of night will be toasty.

We're still getting some snow but nothing like Watertown NY or Buffalo received. I moved a chit load of snow today before the melt and the rain gets here.

Yeah smart move. I’ve been watching the news here and there, 5-6 ft back to back storms for the buffalo area and the temps etc that sounds rough, even for how much I like the snow/winter.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 21.9 tonight with the temps up here between 69 and 71. I'm burning down some coals and then the overnight load will be all ash.

Reactions: MMH and NickW
Yeah smart move. I’ve been watching the news here and there, 5-6 ft back to back storms for the buffalo area and the temps etc that sounds rough, even for how much I like the snow/winter.
Last winter the snow came and stayed, not much rain at all. This year has been snow then rains so even though I usually move snow during the winter, this year I've put in more hours moving snow compared to the same period last year.

Since we have warmer weather coming in, we'll get more pine in and save the hardwood for the colder days that usually come in January and February.

Reactions: MMH
It's 21.9 tonight with the temps up here between 69 and 71. I'm burning down some coals and then the overnight load will be all ash.
Same here except it'll be a mix of ash and maple...

We have "the plague" going through our house. First one of the boys, then the other, now my wife. She stayed home today and probably will again tomorrow. I can't remember the last time she was home sick. I'll probably be next just in time to miss the next family gathering. I've missed the last two...first when the well went out at Thanksgiving (wife's side), then Christmas when the pipes froze at the one rental (my side). Saturday is my wife's side for Christmas & New Years Eve.

Reactions: MMH
This guy saved some lives.

This guy saved some lives.
There's been some really good stories of people stepping up and showing true kindness and generosity. I saw the story about the couple who sheltered a busload of tourists. There are good folks everywhere.

There's been some really good stories of people stepping up and showing true kindness and generosity. I saw the story about the couple who sheltered a busload of tourists. There are good folks everywhere.
I saw that on the news, sure are. 👍

Same here except it'll be a mix of ash and maple...

We have "the plague" going through our house. First one of the boys, then the other, now my wife. She stayed home today and probably will again tomorrow. I can't remember the last time she was home sick. I'll probably be next just in time to miss the next family gathering. I've missed the last two...first when the well went out at Thanksgiving (wife's side), then Christmas when the pipes froze at the one rental (my side). Saturday is my wife's side for Christmas & New Years Eve.
Can't like that, I hope the family is feeling better soon and it skips you.

Reactions: MMH and NickW
Transitioned to snow last night, have a few inches out there. Currently 25 out house is 74. I’ll have a cup of coffee and let last nights load burn down some more before throwing in some pine.