What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
5 outside 74 inside.

Kitties are enjoying the heat, while I am enjoying a nice cold IPA :)

-3 40mph sustained wind -29 windchill. Since getting home at 2pm been running the stove as hard as I can and got 3 space heaters going. Managed to unthaw pipes. Had to remove part of kitchen ceiling to do that. Stoveroom at 44 back of house at 35 so up 2 degrees. Wife and kid went to inlaws they were tired of being cold lol

View attachment 306025
Do you not have any other form of heat besides the wood stove?

-1 at the moment. Still running with honey locust with some oak and ash mixed in. Will load up with honey locust and hickory for the overnight and see how long of a burn I get. My reloads sure are happening much sooner with these cold Temps.

The outside temp is 13.7 with a low of 9 forecast. We had the power flicker so I decided it was time that I fill the basement with more heat so the pellet stove is on. The basement temp was 81 before we went back to the P.S., the temps up here are still between 70 and 73.

We do have coals burning down in the wood stove, if the power is still on when I call it a night I'll use the P.S. but if it goes off I'll use the W.S.

Here’s a chart of our weather temps and wind speed at my house from the last couple of days. It didn’t get as cold as they said (-40 windchill), but it was still kind of chilly. 🥶 It’s been worse! I’ve been burning a lot of wood, ALL HEDGE, ALL THE TIME. But that isn’t unusual, because that’s what I usually burn. Kept the house between 72-76 during the day, and 68-72 at night. Garage has been 60-64.

-8 last night, high of 8 today, 20-25 mph winds, mixture of long rounds, maple, elm, oak, all 7+ years old, dry as a bone. From the stockpile of rounds. With high winds I prefer fewer splits, and like bigger rounds instead. Love how the big rounds burn and coal up nice for long burns, without taking off on reloads. Plus, I saved labor not splitting them.

Keeping the IS turned way way down, nearly off with the winds and draft. Life is good and warm.
View attachment 306005
Did The same yesterday I brought in some big rounds for my over night burn for this arctic air coming

Going down to 13F tonight.

Cleaned out the stove, didn't get to the flue. Relit a fire around 2pm, about to reload with 100% locust to keep the house warm. High tomorrow will be 21F with gusty winds.... Let's see what the stove is made of.

It’s 36 out right now, and with the -15 last week is still feels hot out. Lows headed for 20s another load of pine in for tonight. Another system blowing through sometime next week we’ll see what that brings. Glad yalls are staying warming and surviving keep it up!

Burning ash and beech tonight. With the wind chill it’s -17 out right now. The temp went from 45 earlier in the day, down to 5. Not sure what the night time low will be, but probably not too much colder.

42F and raining this morning. Currently -6F with a real feel of -25F. Largest temperature swing I’ve ever experienced. Looking at 3 days of way below normal temps. Just loaded the princess with another full load of ash. Took off before I was done playing Tetris. House is holding 67-72F but I’m running it harder than usual. Will have to bump my normal 2x a day reload schedule to 3x a day but it’s worth it not to hear the oil furnace run.

Outside temp 8° feels like -11°.
Full load of four year old Osage Orange.

Nope woke up at 2 am. Stove room at 34.5 out to go ultimate redneck and open the oven door with it set at 350. Gonna have to buy a bigger stove the 1.6cubft firebox just don't cut it

View attachment 306054
My little 1.85 can't cut it at all in this cold which is why I went to an 32NC englander should be here in a couple weeks. Thankfully I have natural gas furnace to pick up the slack

When I went to bathroom around 4AM, fire had burnt down to about 1/3 coal... too sleepy to bother with reload. I got a smaller electric heater in bedroom anyway.

Woke up around 8:30am with living room at 59F. Full reload with dry locust... but stove isn't recovering fast enough and oil furnace finally kicked in by 10:30am. My next relief will be around 3pm when the holiday roasts go into oven, but for most part gonna have to burn some oil today.

My rooster isn't a fan of the cold either, he's squatting around all day behaving like a hen.

My 3.0 NC30 is struggling to keep up with the sub zero and wind... By the time I start getting the temperature up it's got 12" of coals and not throwing enough heat. 4 hours of burning bark to get the coals down and sporadic heat bursts and I can get a 3/4 load in and 4 hours later I've got 12" of coals and not enough heat again. Only during these most bitter cold and windy times does it struggle. Even my "crap wood" this year coals... mostly box elder.

We had 4.6 for an outside temp this morning, the pellet stove had the rooms up here between 70 & 71. After the first cup of coffee, I shut the the pellet stove off and switched to wood, the basement is 81 and the temp up here is between 69 (the sleeper) and the other rooms are between 70 to 71.