What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Had to work today no one home to run stove. Windchill up to -7 so getting alot warmer house at 36. Got ash cherry and maple gonna run her hard as late as I can stay up to babysit it. To try to get temps back up. Glad I shut off water before I want to work

Came home from some holiday celebrations to the home at 67 and the bedrooms at 60. Disappointed to see a huge bed of coals that were ashed over. .
Opened the door to burn down the coals. That warmed the home up by 2 degrees. Just loaded it up with a bunch of ash for the evening and then another load of ash is ready to go for the overnight burn.

We switched over to the pellet stove after supper, it's 7.9 out with the temps up here between 70 & 73 with the basement at 81.

4 degrees out right now and feels like -17 full load of beech and a few bio bricks to fill gaps. First time using these and I think they're a huge help

View attachment 306148 View attachment 306149
I burn the bricks every year w/ my wood. But lately the ones at Tractor supply have sucked. Quality went way down. They're not compacted as tight and don't burn as well. I got a pallet 2 years ago from Tractor supply wrapped in Red Stone plastic but "Enviro" was stamped on the side of the brick. They were awesome and I got few packs left. Haven't been to find those good ones from T/S again.

6F tonight but the wind died down. Been burning down coals for the last few hours. Stove room at 70F, main living area at 67F and bedrooms at 65F. Full load of ash going in to keep us warm until it’s time to see what Santa brought. Merry Christmas everyone.

Sprinkled in a few logs throughout afternoon, didn’t need to burn too hot since oven was busy roasting most of afternoon / early evening.

finally returned to living room by 11:30pm, by now only had a layer of coal left and 63F. Loaded up with a huge knobby piece of oak that I’ve being drying next to stove for a week, along with locust rounds and splits. A few more pieces of biobricks for good measure too.

Oak in today. Did get down to 10 last night but not as windy. Next day above freezing here is Tuesday. Also got the coal stove going in the kitchen since last night. Can't beat that coal heat. Only holds about 15 pounds max but will run 8 hours on that.

We had 10.1 this morning when I shut the P.S. off, the basement was 77, the sleeper was 69 and the rest of the rooms were between 70 and 71.

We started a fire with ash this morning, up here is still between 70 and 71 with the outside temp just over 18.

Reactions: MMH
Threw a couple pine short splits in this morning, house is 74 highs heading for low 40s again today so I’ll end up letting the stove go out like yesterday. Merry Christmas everyone.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Back to a controllable stove... Not quite as cold out and way less windy. Box elder right now in it. If we can get the temperature up inside enough may try to burn things down enough to remove some ash

On an unhappy note, froze heater and some plumbing pipes in the rental that we rehabbed over the summer that we are trying to sell. Spent the whole day Christmas Eve there getting things thawed and partially functional. Heading back there now to try to finish it up today.

Woke up early this morning. House at 67. Raked some coals to burn them down and went back to sleep for a few hours. When I woke back up I was able to scoop quite a bit of the ash out with the house dropping to about 60. . Loaded it back up with a full load of ash. Warming back up now.

House is 72 currently 40 out the stove will go out again and I’ll light back up tonight. Looks like an atmospheric river is heading our way we’ll see what that looks like in a day or two.

House is 70, and it’s in the 30s out and overcast, I didn’t think the storm was moving in until this evening but was wrong about that. The winter/wind advisories and warnings are starting to come in. Starting back up with some pine and elm.

I never looked at the outside temp this morning but I'm thinking around 19, this morning the house was between 68 and 70 with the basement at 75.

I shut the P.S. off this morning and we're back burning ash in the wood stove, the temps up here are between 70 and 72.

Reactions: MMH
Last night was cherry mixed with a piece of white birch and a piece ash. More cherry this morning before we headed to my families Christmas. Home now and now a load of boxelder and quaking aspen on high before bed. Then another nighttime load of mostly cherry.

It's 18.3 out tonight, the basement temp is 79 heading up with the rooms up here between 70 & 72.

The Liberty has a load of ash in it for the overnight load.