What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
-2 air temp, wind is howling. Just reloaded with 9 (yes, 9)-year seasoned beech, red oak, and hard maple. Filled in with a few 4-year seasoned hickory from the row behind that. We ended up getting to our best firewood, just in time for this cold snap!

Still bracing for the impact here. 53 outside this morning and 77 in stove room. Dropping to 7 tonight. Have ~three days supply of wood inside and ready to go.
Letting stove die down from last nights overnight burn and balance the timing of when to start it back up. Don’t want to cook everyone out of the house while still staying ahead of what’s heading our way.

We have 36.3 this morning, the temps up here are between 70 and 72. We're back on pellet power but the winds are picking up so we'll see how long we'll have power.

Cruising along with 2 burners going. Elm in one, oak in the other. Sub zero and windy outside, cozy inside.
Stay warm my friends.

40 Out, 74 Inside.

Getting ready for some really cold days in the next few days.

Brought firewood under porch [Enough for next 7 days].
Raining now, 3 Inches of snow in the forecast for afternoon with temps dropping down. Not looking forward to shoveling that snow in frigid temperatures today evening.

On the bright side, I am escaping this cold weather right after Christmas to New mexico for a few a days.

I have my dampener closed way down with the wind. Currently burning quaking aspen and boxelder again since I’ll be home all day for the shorter reloads. For the overnight the usual cherry mixed with some ash.

I'm going out to check the stacks for some Blackgum...Black Tupelo, because that's the temp outside right now! 🥶😫

Went to bed last night 44 and raining, this morning it was 0 with a -26 wind chill. Gonna be a lot of stuff freeze this weekend that hasn’t froze in a number of years. On the bright side I don’t have to worry about keeping the stove going low n slow! Burning oak that was dead when we moved in 4 years ago, been stacked n split for 3.5 of those years.

Still rocking the boxelder and a few pieces of poplar mixed in. Loaded the stove with some 14-16" rounds 30"+ long last night along with some smaller stuff and it was still 1/3 full this morning 10hrs later !! Can't ask for better than that with -15F and a 25-30mph wind !!

We're still burning the pellet stove, up here is between 72 & 73 with the sleeper at 70. I'll switch over to the wood stove later.

Reactions: MMH and boomfire
Plowed all night. Temps -5 windchill is -40 steady 30 t 50mph wind wifes been home runn8ng stove whole time. House at 42. Can't get it hotter. Pipes froze nd 1 fitting busted in-between 1st and second floor on the bathroom I just remodeled. So that's cool. Wind blowing so hard there is snow in the basement. On the plus side 42 feels really hot after shoveling for 2hrs straight last night. Eyes were starting to freeze shut

This cold and wind is making things tough to control on reloads. Too many coals not making enough heat so a reload is needed, but it takes off like crazy...

My flue probe is set to go off at 900 to allow time to react before it gets too concerning. Usually we are able to not have the alarm go off at all.

After last night's nervous situation I am trying something a little different. Raked the big pile of coals to the front and layed 2 E/W behind it, then went N/S over that. Ash and 1 maple. Choked the air back faster, but it still took off. Air fully shut down before 600 flue temp with secondaries firing. Hit 1000 for a second, but this was a much slower more controlled temperature rise. Ran between 900 & 1000 for probably half an hour. Stt was around 700. I know the pipe is rated to run at 1000, but honestly I just don't like it over 900. Usually I don't start choking the air back until 600 flue temp, but usually I have the coals burned down a lot more.

Is anyone else experiencing the same or does anyone regularly hit 1000 flue temp?

-8 last night, high of 8 today, 20-25 mph winds, mixture of long rounds, maple, elm, oak, all 7+ years old, dry as a bone. From the stockpile of rounds. With high winds I prefer fewer splits, and like bigger rounds instead. Love how the big rounds burn and coal up nice for long burns, without taking off on reloads. Plus, I saved labor not splitting them.

Keeping the IS turned way way down, nearly off with the winds and draft. Life is good and warm.

I just shut the pellet stove off and started a fire in the wood stove with a load of ash with a few splits of yellow birch.

The basement is 77 and the temps up here are between 70 to 73.

This cold and wind is making things tough to control on reloads. Too many coals not making enough heat so a reload is needed, but it takes off like crazy...

My flue probe is set to go off at 900 to allow time to react before it gets too concerning. Usually we are able to not have the alarm go off at all.

After last night's nervous situation I am trying something a little different. Raked the big pile of coals to the front and layed 2 E/W behind it, then went N/S over that. Ash and 1 maple. Choked the air back faster, but it still took off. Air fully shut down before 600 flue temp with secondaries firing. Hit 1000 for a second, but this was a much slower more controlled temperature rise. Ran between 900 & 1000 for probably half an hour. Stt was around 700. I know the pipe is rated to run at 1000, but honestly I just don't like it over 900. Usually I don't start choking the air back until 600 flue temp, but usually I have the coals burned down a lot more.

Is anyone else experiencing the same or does anyone regularly hit 1000 flue temp?
So after finding some other threads about flue temps I'm not as concerned. Surprised someone hasn't suggested a damper yet. I tend to lose draft pretty significantly as it cools due to a horizontal run...

47 today morning. 15 right now and dropping fast :eek:

Dropped 32 degrees in 8 hours. First time for me seeing such a swing in temperature, in a short span of time.
This system is brutal. I read that Denver airport dropped 37 degrees in one hour and Cheyenne Wyoming dropped 30 degrees in 10 minutes.

• Wow
Not quite "jump into the vent stack of a Burger King as the temp drops level" from Day After Tomorrow but our temps dropped a lot and quickly when it rolled though as well.

Reactions: MMH
16 degrees outside real feel -1 going down to 9 degrees and who knows how low the real feel will get. Red oak burning away and will be stoking the little osburn like a locomotive this weekend

-3 40mph sustained wind -29 windchill. Since getting home at 2pm been running the stove as hard as I can and got 3 space heaters going. Managed to unthaw pipes. Had to remove part of kitchen ceiling to do that. Stoveroom at 44 back of house at 35 so up 2 degrees. Wife and kid went to inlaws they were tired of being cold lol