What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 19 this morning, the basement started out at 72 and up here was 68-69. I loaded up the wood stove this morning with ash.

The last I looked it was around 20, more ash went in the wood stove tonight. The temps up here are between 68 - 70 with the basement at 72 before the overnight fire.

Just some of the meals we made in the past years. The first picture is chicken and potatoes in a broth, the 2nd picture is a gnocchi dish and the last three are the stuffed shells.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Rural Rhinelander
Watch it, the Hodag might try to get in to warm up, with the temps you're facing! 👹🥶😏
View attachment 305666

87 pounds (I weigh every load) of hedge wood in the Switzer.
NOW we're talkin'! :ZZZ
The bottom drops out for us tomorrow afternoon, with temp going from 44 in the afternoon to -2 overnight.
Heavy-hitting center fielder Bo Dark has made his way to the on-deck circle...😏

chrome_screenshot_1671631175086.png PXL_20221218_143353298.jpg

Last edited:
We had 16F here this morning. House was anywhere from 67-72F from last night's full load of ash. At 5am, I reloaded will full load of half ash/half cherry. Should last me until 8pm tonight.

Back in SE WI. Box elder burning down coals right now. Filled the wood rack today with a little box elder for burning down coals, quite a bit of ash and some sugar maple for something a little higher BTU. We'll see how much snow we actually get, but it's been cold and going to get colder. Friday's high is supposed to be -2, which is colder than the forecast for the Northwoods...

It was around 25 this morning, the basement was 70 and the rooms up here were between 66 to 68. I loaded up the wood stove with more ash before we put in another two loads of ash.

Reactions: MMH
Temps last few days were frigid, had night temps around -15F and highs in the single digits for a few days, but it seems I’ve traded most of you we’ve got highs of 30-40 with lows of teens out. Feels like summer again. Took the opportunity to clean the stove and sweep the pipe. Back to the races again with pine, then another full load of pine for tonight. Y’all bundle up.

Temps and windchill headed on down here. Loaded the Switzer with 103 pounds of hedge this morning. Not sure if that will last until this eve or not, with the garage heat kicked on.

Reactions: MMH
Right now house is set at 72F (Mama Bear runs that thermostat ..... makes me sweaty) and the shop is set at 58F. Stove is chewing through poorly seasoned boxelder and elm turning it into hot water, smoke and creosote. I'll be really happy when it warms up enough next week that I can clean it completely out and get all the crap out of the stove. Next year should be much better with dryer wood.

Ash and 1 piece each of maple and birch. Spent the entire morning burning down coals to clean out the ash. While I was gone that was a pretty neglected job. Probably got 3 gallons of ash out of there. Finally got the first fire for the day going about 1:15 just after the temperature started to quickly drop. 5 degrees out and windy with a bit of snow.

Reactions: mpaul and MMH
Supposedly we will be >40F all night with a high of 55F tomorrow.

I just threw in about 15 pieces of biobricks with no cord wood into the stove. Probably going to heat the bejesus out of living room tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll open primary air to max to burn off all coals, and by late morning / early afternoon, clean out the ash box and soot eater the flue.

Since I didn't have an overnight fire last night ;em this morning the house was between 62 to 65, lets just say the wife wasn't impressed.

Before I went outside the pellet stove was turned on, when I came back in the house was only 67 so I turned it up. Between the cooking and the pellet stove we have temps up here between 72 to 74.

I shut the pellet stove off and started a fire in the wood stove, pine with two splits of ash, before I call it a night the wood stove will see a few more splits of pine.

I'm not sure how high the winds will get but tomorrow will be a pellet stove day, that way if the winds get real bad I can just shut it off.

Reactions: Gearhead660 and MMH
Ash & sugar maple. -5 with real feel/wind-chill of -26. Morning is supposed to be -10 with wind-chill of -50. Will be out snowblowing. Did pick up a Toro 828 in decent shape for $200 that will go up to the Northwoods with me next time to replace the 1033 I blew up...

With wind chill tonight pushing -30, we're back to the top of the batting order. The chunky lead-off man to your left is Bo Dark, a heavy hitter who can deliver when the game is on the line. Moving through the line-up, we get to the guys on the right, who are no slouches either; Mel Berry, Whitey Oak, Red Schoen...er, Elm, and that Black, Cheery fella. I have a good feeling about the outcome of this one. 😏