What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Beech wood loaded up. going to be around 20 degrees tonight

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Cleaned out the firebox late afternoon - must've gotten out about 2in at least ash+ coal combined, and I have at least 2, 3in coals remained. I use a pair of welding gloves when operating stove, and the radiant heat from the coals were so strong that I had to take off the gloves because the leather was getting too hot.

Partial reload with oak and locust around 5pm, and stuffed couple more 4, 5in-ish logs of assorted oaks and locust just now. Outside temperature 39F, inside living room a toasty 70F.

I loaded the stove yesterday at 6am with shagbark hickory and let the load go overnight into this am. the house was 63 at 8am and a few coals remained. I cleaned out the 3” of ash and loaded the stove east/west with some long pine I had to get rid of. House is up to 65 and climbing. Will be at 70 by evening reload time about 8pm.

White Oak and Locust is the flavor of the day and for the days to come with this polar air moving in..

It's 26.4 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of 21, up here is 70 and the sleeper is 69. The overnight load is two splits of pine with the rest ash, the stove room should be 79 headed north.

Reactions: MMH and 1kzwoman
Fire just about ran out about 5 this morning (more wind than expected, 20F outside, 63F inside). I woke up to footsteps and some banging around. Found my wife (not a morning person) in the furnace room restarting the fire. Gave her a kiss and asked if she wanted to go back to bed while I started the fire. Kindling was kiln dried 20 year old pine from the woodshop, then barkless white oak slabwood from the veneer plant. Cherry splits for the majority of the day.

We had 20.1 this morning with the temps up here between 67 and 68 with the basement temp still 73. I loaded up the wood stove with ash and then spent the day outside moving snow, with the possibility of rain, snow and wind with the next storm, I'll be moving more snow from just off the driveway.

Reactions: MMH and JamesGuido
Mild weather today in the upper 30s and sunny all day. House has a lot of south facing windows which kept the house at 74. Spent the day cleaning all the ash and glass.

Supposed to get down to 10 later this week.

Had the first fire of the season yesterday, couple piles of kindling over the course of two hours then a slow climb into cat operating territory. Wanted to give the chimney plenty of time to dry out from any summer time moisture it may have soaked up. Stove ran perfectly...which is good considering the heat pump puked a few weeks ago.