What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not sure what the temp was last night but after waking up in the recliner, instead of starting a fire, I clicked on the pellet stove so the temps up here were between 67 & 68.

This morning I never checked the temps but I'm thinking the low 20's, I loaded up the wood stove with pine. The temps up here are 69 & 70.

Reactions: MMH
Total snow accumulations of 6 to 14 inches between today and tomorrow. Currently snowing heavily at inch an hour. 3 so far on the ground.

Ash and Pine in the fireplace. 72 Inside, 29 Outside
This storm turned out to be quite a bummer so far.. it doesn't seem like we'll be anywhere near 14 inches.

Temps were in the 20's this morning. I woke up and checked the firebox of my All Nighter Moe, which I found still had some coals from last nights overnight burn. I tossed in a few pieces of pine to get it started up again, shortly followed by a link or two of cherry which coal up real nice, and topped off with some ash splits to last a few hours.

I vary my wood types by time of day, outside/inside temps, and length of burn. What is in your stove right now?
Right now maple smaller pieces. have built up a very thick bed of gorgeous coals and will set a large dogwood round in for overnight in an hour. I have a 1951 Floyd-Welles Combination cookstove (Fuelane "Happy Cooking" edition) that was my grandparents and after a partial restoration it was installed 4 weeks ago, so still learning it's quirks and how close I can get to an overnight burn with the smaller firebox.

This storm turned out to be quite a bummer so far.. it doesn't seem like we'll be anywhere near 14 inches.
Same here, but I'm thankful! The predictions of 8-12" & 10-15" turned out to be about 7", but very wet and heavy. If all the rain and sleet was snow we probably would have had 20"+.

Same here, but I'm thankful! The predictions of 8-12" & 10-15" turned out to be about 7", but very wet and heavy. If all the rain and sleet was snow we probably would have had 20"+.
Yah same here. Makes sense as the snow is coming from the west. It's looking like about 6 inches here wet n heavy

Tonight's load of ash and cherry in the Stratford II here in the Northwoods...
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Like others mentioned the storm is a disappointment so far. Rain finally started around 9:30pm vs forecast of 4, 5pm. Pretty calm despite of forecast of gust up to 50mph. However I'm thankful - for this is a good relief to heat up the house. Burning the same, I've finally hit 68F in living room.

Looking fairly mild tonight (low of 39F). Given I now have an inch or two of ashes from running the stove so hard past week, I'll burn hard overnight, full reload early morning tomorrow, and let it die out over afternoon to clean up ashes.

Soooo with that said.... full reload with red stone bricks, locust, and white oak. Smoke stack clear in about 20min at ~90% throttle, turned down to ~40% for overnight burn.

Had another 3-4” between last night/night previous, had to plow again to get the wifey mobile out. Currently 12 out low headed for -1F house is 72. A full load of elm and mahogany in for tonight.

We have 31.8 tonight with the snow starting about an hour ago (nothing real heavy.....yet) it's 77 in the basement with the temps up here 69 to 70. The overnight load is some ash with pine.

Right now maple smaller pieces...will set a large dogwood round in for overnight in an hour.
Gotta love that Dagwood! 🤗 A guy I know just bought a stove a couple months ago, for his new digs. He needs dry wood so I've been helping him out, going out and scrounging up a quad- trailer load a week that he can take home in his little car. Now, it's a violation of my principles to give away dry, primo wood, but I scraped up a load for him yesterday, starting with....some o' dat dry, bark-gone pink gold! I started feeling better about my loss, after I finished the load by dumping on him a bunch of Assafras. 😏
Got a load of Maple in our stove right now. As Gee-orge Nooory would say..."shigger" Maple. 😆
PXL_20221215_220821291.jpg PXL_20221215_223607717.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 1951 Floyd-Welles Combination cookstove (Fuelane "Happy Cooking" edition) that was my grandparents and after a partial restoration it was installed 4 weeks ago, so still learning it's quirks and how close I can get to an overnight burn with the smaller firebox.
Way cool! 😎

So far 10 inches of snow here.

I have cleared 5-6 inches of snow last night. Woke up and another 4 inches of snow on the ground, I need to clear it fast as rain is coming down. what a mess.

They are still projecting another 4-8 inches today if this rain converts into snow.

20F/70F with all day light snow yesterday and some overnight, another shot of real winter temps on the way with lows dipping below zero in the near future. Brrr, Stay warm all.

Burning oversize R,Oak splits from what must have been the end of a long day of splitting;lol

Threw six ash splits, and some splitter trash in last night at 9PM, pics were taken around 11AM today. Temps have been in the mid 30's, house is set to 68 during the night and 70 during the day. Heating roughly 3k square feet.

Got to love gasification. :)

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

Last edited:
Approximately how many cu ft of wood did that take you?
Firebox is 22x23x29 inches ( 8.5 cu ft ). I'm just spit balling here, could be a little more, a little less. Bottom of the firebox was covered one split high, plus a little bit thrown in on top. I've been stacking my wood together as tight as possible to help with off gassing. Seems to be helping some with consumption. First year running a gasser. Wood is roughly 20% moisture, stored in totes outside that are top covered.

(20*21*4)/1728 = .97 cubic feet of wood, let calls it 1 cubic foot of wood.

Firebox is 22x23x29 inches ( 8.5 cu ft ). I'm just spit balling here, could be a little more, a little less. Bottom of the firebox was covered one split high, plus a little bit thrown in on top. I've been stacking my wood together as tight as possible to help with off gassing. Seems to be helping some with consumption. First year running a gasser. Wood is roughly 20% moisture, stored in totes outside that are top covered.

(20*21*4)/1728 = .97 cubic feet of wood, let calls it 1 cubic foot of wood.
wow that's crazy efficient

Reactions: sloeffle
It was still 31.8 this morning with the temps up here between 69 and 70. The coffee just finished when the power went out for 1:30 this morning but after talking, coffee and doing a few other things it came back on.

It's hard to tell how much snow we received because it's very wet but I'm thinking 6-7. I plowed three driveways and a few trails in the woods for walking and then called it a day.

The scanner has been busy since this morning, trees coming down across roadways with the powerlines.

Really enjoy reading this thread...first time posting in it.

Loaded my BK Princess insert this morning at 5am with a full load of ash. Temps were forecast upper 30's all day and overcast. Set t-stat to #2 and blower on low. At 7pm, raked coals to front and added one 3-4" cherry split and three 1-2" cherry splits and ran with t-stat wide open, blower at 50%. Currently 33F outside with stove room at 77F, main living area at 73F and bedrooms at 68F. Going down to mid 20's tonight. Will reload at 10pm with another full load of ash.