What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First year burning and out of about a cord this is what is left. Just in time for a little warm up. Have about a cord seasoning well for next year, so will be in the same boat again next year. After that stockpile is looking better. What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

76 in stove room now and 72 in bedroom. Overnight low is only 30. Have a small load going for past four hours. Just going to let that burnout overnight and let things cool off a bit. Might be a little cool in the morning but it beats baking us out. Will plan on cleaning the stove out in the morning and touching up the glass.

I have been burning hickory and locust with these cold temps, but back to small splits of ash some tulip, and maple.

I have been burning hickory and locust with these cold temps, but back to small splits of ash some tulip, and maple.
With the warmer temps coming in, we'll be putting in more pine tomorrow and after that I'll be scraping down the driveway again in the hopes mother nature will get it down to the gravel.

It's 28 out tonight with the basement temp starting out at 75, the sleeper is at 69 and the rest of the house is between 70 to 71.

The stove received another load of ash tonight.

Got enough burned down last night for a decent sized load for overnight, then spent almost the entire day burning coals down today to give it a good cleaning. Stir it up, bark, stir it up, bark, etc, etc. Back up and running on ash and maple again.

Interesting thing I noticed today... After getting the coals pretty well burned down I used my coal sifter to separate the ash from the coals to "try" to keep the coals burning down and let the ash cool. The ash was literally glowing orange. As it cooled I'd stir it up to get the hotter ash to the top so it could cool. As it cooled it started forming clinkers. I always thought it was the heat that fused the particles together, but it sure seemed like it was the cooling that fused it all together...

Got enough burned down last night for a decent sized load for overnight, then spent almost the entire day burning coals down today to give it a good cleaning. Stir it up, bark, stir it up, bark, etc, etc. Back up and running on ash and maple again.

Interesting thing I noticed today... After getting the coals pretty well burned down I used my coal sifter to separate the ash from the coals to "try" to keep the coals burning down and let the ash cool. The ash was literally glowing orange. As it cooled I'd stir it up to get the hotter ash to the top so it could cool. As it cooled it started forming clinkers. I always thought it was the heat that fused the particles together, but it sure seemed like it was the cooling that fused it all together...
About 35 years ago I knew a handful of old time operators running chain and grate coal feeders at institutions - and that’s probably as many clinker theories I would get if I could ask them today - but it would be entertaining!

That wood looks perfect- uniform cut, looking super clean. My splits are all different lengths, covered in dirt, grayed from years of weather, black and brown spots from gross random things that grow on firewood. They certainly don't look like those beautiful splits you have.
==c thanks!
i've burnt thru all my old gray-weathered wood... and last season, all i had was dirty'ol large hunks.
now i only have is this "looks perfect- uniform cut, looking super clean" stuff.

woodshed12202022.jpeg

I have let the basement stove go cold since we have temps in the mid 40's. I'm going to give it and the chimney a quick clean, before temps get back to normal. I have some small pieces of locust and ash in the first flood summit keeping temps in the low 70's.

We had an outside temp in the mid - twenties this morning, the basement temp was 71 with the temps up here between 67 and 68.

We went back to burning pine this morning and put another two loads in today. I think we'll put in another two loads of pine in tomorrow, that should give us plenty of shoulder season wood for the warmer temps.

Currently in the 20s with the feels like in the teens, house is 73. Next system is moving through starting tonight/tomorrow morning, they’re calling for up to a foot or more potentially in the valleys with several feet in the mountains; I doubt I’ll see that in the valley but I moved some wood this evening and will grab some groceries and diesel for the tractor in the morning just in case. Tonight will be another load of pine.

It's 41.5 tonight, I usually would go all pine but we'll give the pine we brought in today a night and full day inside before we burn it. The m/c is reading 18 to 20, the last stuff we brought in was 10 to 15.

Our overnight fire is ash with some pine we've had inside for about four weeks, the temp in the basement is 77 with the temps up here between 69 to 70.

Had a small fire last night that I just let burn down around midnight. Overnight low was 31 and today is going to be 50. Small fire this morning to take the edge out of the house.
7 degrees last week, 50 this week, projecting 60 next week. Crazy weather patterns

Reactions: MMH
Had a small fire last night that I just let burn down around midnight. Overnight low was 31 and today is going to be 50. Small fire this morning to take the edge out of the house.
7 degrees last week, 50 this week, projecting 60 next week. Crazy weather patterns
Yah it's so strange how it's getting warmer as we go into the real winter months.. quite confusing actually

Giving my outdoor boiler a menu change from the cherry, locust, and elm of late. She got 3 spoonfuls of bit coal this morning. not her favorite, but I need to use it up.

Currently snowing and 30 out with the feels like at 17, winds in the 20s gusting in 40s, house is 73 stove is still cruising. Starting in on the cup of coffee then I’ll be adding some pine and elm for Dorothy’s breakfast.