What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oak. Heading down to 11 tonight, which looks like the last of the serious cold we'll be seeing this year.

It's - 0.5 tonight, we'll burn down the coals in the wood stove and take them out tomorrow morning, they'll go in a metal garbage can. The P.S. is on and will provide the heat for tonight, it's 68 in the living room and 66 in the bedroom.

47ºF out now with a high of 53 and rain...
the little dry-ready-to-burn wood i have left i'll save for colder days
So, Ashes are What Is In My Stove Right Now.

kinda looks bored, sitting there with no flames

Having a heat wave right now before the front comes through. Let the Tundra go out so I can clean the ashes out. Just loaded Myra up with Hickory and Locust. That should last a while...

We had 16.2 this morning, I shut the P.S. off and took out the ash from the wood stove. When I came back in I started a fire with another load of ash going in the Liberty.

It was 70 in the living room and 68 in the sleeper this morning.

We just had the one fire this morning with the temp inside still at 67, with the winds picking up tonight, we'll go without a fire so I'll run the furnace for about five minutes before I call it a night.

Not much. I took out some ashes. Saw one or two still glowing coals. 50 out there today...

When we have seasoned Ironwood, we usually burn a face cord a year and January up here in Northern NY was our coldest in about eight years an we heat from the basement so when we were -23 or -26 we needed it.

We also have a pellet stove in the opposite corner in the basement, we burn that at night with the wood stove during the coldest months. We burn 50 bags a year in the old Yankee Pellet Stove.

How has your winter been in the Rochester area?
not very harsh until the beginning of January...Then normal for here, cold and snowy....good ole Lake Ontario adding to the fun. I have plenty of dry ash that I burn most of the time. I break out the hickory and locust for the coldest nights. only gets to about -10 here. Not like where you are!!!

9º with sunny skies at 7:45 Friday morning... my last day off of work from hip surgery...
at least until April 25th (1st full day of retirement)

anyway, Jøtul filled with some mixed hunks of dirty hardwoods...
about out in the house, gonna have to drag some in here soon.
gonna be a cold weekend

Just started the stove. Power is out since 3.37 am. Predicted restoration with crew onsite is 4 pm. 55 F this morning. 43 now. 23 for a low.
Time to get the basement up to temperature for the overnight fire.

It was 9.5 this morning (still is) I loaded up the wood stove with more Ironwood and Ash. We also received five inches of snow with more coming in.

It looks like we'll have a second system coming in with more wind and snow.