What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reloaded with oak and pine.

It's 6.1 tonight, four splits of Ash on the bottom row with another two rounds and two splits of Ironwood on top row. It's 68 in the living room, 66 in the sleeper and 78 in the basement where the stove is.

Maple, Oak, and a nice bed of embers from eco logs, which make my life much easier, since I just got my chimney liner installed Feb 1, and I don't have much dry wood yet.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Nice. That is an insert? What kind?

It says Ashley on the bottom right.
Ashley, I used to have an old Tremont slammer insert that was 8" so I replaced it with the Ashley (made by Breckwell) with a 6" size and 3 baffles inside across the top. It is 2.6 cu ft, so I can almost make it thru the night with oak splits. Supposed to get down to 19 tonight, so I have a few oak splits saved to keep us warm .

Reactions: stoveliker
We're gone for a couple of days. The stove will still be chewing on the oak I stuffed it with this morning. Burning low, so the home should be about 63F.

In the Airbnb there is a nice woodshed outside. A fireplace inside. Fan. And fake flames :-(

Nice place though. Quiet, rural, animals for the kids (daughter while eating some pizza: one of the goats licked my hand - and I think I washed them. All good; good for her immune system.) But the remote control fireplace fake flame electric heater in a wall is not my thing...

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Accu has a low for our area hitting - 4 so the wood stove is burning down coals and the pellet stove has one bag in it and running for the overnight heat.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
Load of aspen to burn down last nights coals and give a quick heat burst in WI northwoods. High of almost 40 today after not seeing 20 for a week and negative mid teens overnights. Will get some ash out after this load burns down.

Big storm with cold temps and wind forecast for Monday afternoon into Wednesday morning. 10-15" of snow.

We had - 7.4 this morning, I shut the pellet stove off and the Lopi received another load of Ash with the same going in tonight. Our outside temp is 38.1 tonight and the temp up here at 70.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
I wonder about the use of the different types of wood to use and why ash because I thought oak was better in the way of btu"s and I believe Pine burns quicker and for a shorter time and oak gives you longer burning. So why Ash wood what makes this so good in burning for cold weather. ? clancey

I wonder about the use of the different types of wood to use and why ash because I thought oak was better in the way of btu"s and I believe Pine burns quicker and for a shorter time and oak gives you longer burning. So why Ash wood what makes this so good in burning for cold weather. ? clancey
We usually burn beech, ironwood or sugar maple during our coldest temps but the beech and sugar maple will get more time seasoning, that will be ready for our coldest months in 2022-2023 . Mixing in some ironwood with ash makes for nice heat and overnight burn.

Even when we've had some minus nights lately, the day temps are on the rise so ash is what we'll burn. Since the EAB was found in our county, I started felling ash to heat with.

We use the pellet stove on colder nights too for the constant heat, last year we burned 50 bags and this year we'll burn 53 if we use what we have here.

We had 35.3 this morning with the temp in the basement at 71, up here in the living room 68 and the bedroom 67.

Got off work last night pretty late so we let the propane go, wides been using it for the 5 days I was at work which hurts the rear…highs in the 30s today with snow off and on for a few days, lows headed for 10 or below through this cold front. Started up with pine and Dorothy is off to the races again.

Reactions: thewoodlands
today was the first day since dec23 this stove wasn't lit in the morning...
had to return to work after recuperating from hip replacement surgery...
and lemme tell'ya it was tough.

anyway, fired up the Jøtul with some mellow dylan to ease thru the next 8 weeks... retirement on the horizon
dirty oak and perhaps some filthy maple too inside.

thanks for viewin'