What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lol just got an email from Hearth advertising this thread that I created 7 years ago. I logged in and it was the top thread in the woodshed section, 209 pages long and adding. I think I should get a royalty or something 😂. I just love seeing every ones burning strategies.

Anyway, I got a mix of ash and maple running today after a few inches of snowfall.

Last edited:
Lol just got an email from Hearth advertising this thread that I created 7 years ago. I logged in and it was the top thread in the woodshed section, 209 pages long and adding. I think should get a royalty or something 😂. I just love seeing every ones burning strategies.

Anyway, I got a mix of ash and maple running today after a few inches of snowfall.
Nice. And you made the fist post on the 210th page.

I enjoy this one. Even if a lot is repetitive, I like reading what others burn, what issues (e.g. coals) they run into, motivation for letting the stove go cold. Just a no-nonsense reading of others' experience in something I enjoy myself.

So, thank you for starting this.

I just reloaded with pine. 30 outside and still snowing. 3-4" on the ground. 67 inside (and 77 in the basement). Just like I like it. But going to crank it up a bit because tonight will be 19 for a low.

Collected about 1/3 cord off ground. Time for a quick meal and I’m gonna hit road again for next week.

Got 5-ish inch of snow today. 28 now, 18 for a low. Tomorrow a high of 26 and sunny, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to have the snow slide off of the solar panels; it was 31 today so the snow is now well-frozen and icy, stuck to the panels.

Reloaded with (red) oak. Not entirely full because quite some pine coals were left and three pieces were a bit crooked.

It was - 2.6 the last I checked, I turned the pellet stove on and started another fire in the wood stove with more Ash and Ironwood. When the basement temp hit 79, I came up here, it's 69 in the living room and 67 in the sleeper.

Our low was - 5.9 this morning, the living room temp was 70 this morning, the floor in the living room was 76.6 and the bedroom temp was 68.

The high temp in the basement overnight was 84, I shut the P.S. off and started a fire in the wood stove with some Ash.

Well, got scraps from the source I mentioned earlier, was expecting more dimensional lumber scraps but it’s mostly kindling size pieces. I’ve got a few decent pieces, mixed hickory cherry and maple so I’ll call it mystery load. Also got in touch with another source who takes a tree trimming companies wood and mulches it, sounds like there willing to let me come cut and take some. Hopefully that works out as well.

High was in the 50s again today, cloudy and windy but house stayed warm. Currently in the 40s out with lows headed for low 20s and rain/snow mix tonight into tomorrow morning, likely only a dusting. House is currently 69. Will start up with a couple small pine splits, and I’ll end with a healthy mixed diet, I’ll come back and show that later.

Maple, with a log that got some snow “drying”; loaded 20 minutes prior to photo. Started this season thinking I’d be a weekend warrior, instead been burning (inefficiently) almost everyday since the new year. End of February may be the last of it. Going to build a woodshed this spring and start hunting around for some quality wood to buy a proper cord for the fall.

Been fun.

30DE2B9B-0CC4-49F3-98DA-2A35286E08D9.jpeg

After running on pine and some (garden; 4" dia) fir today, I reloaded with red oak, maple, and two small sticks of what I think was black walnut from a neighbor's yard. Hi today was 25, 22 now, a low of 16 tonight.

Went sledding with the kids down a hill in a nearby park this afternoon. Almost froze my butt off... Wind blowing, drifting powder like groups of snakes wiggling close to the ground, sun setting. But we had fun 😊

It's - 8.7 at the moment with the temp up here in the living room at 70 and the bedroom at 67.

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
Tonight’s load is 4 pieces of pine, mahogany split, red elm split, juniper split, 4 slabs of the mystery wood and mystery fillers. The mahogany has a thicker end in the back, but left a gap up front I didn’t notice until to late.

Yeah, that happens to me too. Starts off too fast to adjust. And if there only was perfectly straight wood....

At 5:11 this morning our temp was - 6.7, we had 70 in the living room, 68 in the bedroom and the high in the basement overnight was 87.

I shut the P.S. off just after 6 and we're back to burning Ash in the Lopi.

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
After some pine and more 3" fir today, it is now time for oak and maple. 27 for a high today. 25 now, 21 for a low tonight.

Tomorrow I'll let the stove go cold until Friday afternoon.