What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice!

Reactions: thewoodlands
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Woke at 0500 this morning racked my coals from my overnight load, reloaded with white oak and honey locust. Each splits are about 15% MC easy restart this morning. Have a great day people…

40 F today. Simmered last night's load, kept the home at 70 for 21 hrs, of course with help from the sun.

Just added one oak ugly and two small (almost kindling) maple splits. Tonight will be a low of 29. I hope the oak is far enough done when it's bedtime reloading time.

Open fireplace loaded with oak and I’m fairly certain maple. I’m an arbrorist but my bark/wood ID is horrendous. Did a little top down with a nugget and smaller kindling. Bottom logs are hissing more than I’d like but it’s way hot in there with minimal smoke so I’m not concerned. Only way to tolerate this awful movie, Frozen, that my kids want to watch 6 times a day. And beer, of course. Going to be warm on Long Island for the rest of the week so getting in some fire while I can.

0237DA43-8C91-4093-BB2C-1880C69597C5.jpeg

Open fireplace loaded with oak and I’m fairly certain maple. I’m an arbrorist but my bark/wood ID is horrendous. Did a little top down with a nugget and smaller kindling. Bottom logs are hissing more than I’d like but it’s way hot in there with minimal smoke so I’m not concerned. Only way to tolerate this awful movie, Frozen, that my kids want to watch 6 times a day. And beer, of course. Going to be warm on Long Island for the rest of the week so getting in some fire while I can.

View attachment 291833
Beer (or Tanqueray) makes everything bearable.

Reactions: stoveliker
Lol, I remember those days. I've seen (or sat thru) Frozen about 837 times...

You have my sympathy. 🤣

Highs were in the 50s again today, almost feels like shoulder season except the wrong darn month. Let the stove go out, house is 72. Lows in teens again tonight, will start with pine and top off with more pine and some red elm.

Reloaded with ash and maple. 34 now, 29 for the low.

Marconis--what a beautiful set up and that beer sounds good to me so I am getting one out of the fridge...Does your TV get affected by the heat being above the fireplace? Lots of people have their TV over the mantle but I would not take the chance with the electronics but I guess the fire does not affect the workings of the TV and lots of people have them that way...clancey

View attachment 291833

I feel your pain. I've got three girls so I've been there done that lol.

We have a low of 28 tonight with a full load of red oak tonight.

Marconis--what a beautiful set up and that beer sounds good to me so I am getting one out of the fridge...Does your TV get affected by the heat being above the fireplace? Lots of people have their TV over the mantle but I would not take the chance with the electronics but I guess the fire does not affect the workings of the TV and lots of people have them that way...clancey
Hi Clancey, Thanks! A lot of guests over my house have asked that, and the answer is no. The top of the mantle does not get hot, only the bottom, and I think that the mantle shelf protrudes enough that it actually pushes the heat away from the surrounding walls. The top of the mantle, TV screen, TV base, and back wall are always cool to the touch even after burning for several hours.

That's wonderful and it saves a lot of space and I notice on here that quite a few are using up their mantles just that way--good for you--happy burning--looks pretty..clancey

to get the dampness outta the air, started the stove about an hour after the smoker this morning...
oak in the Jøtul...

View attachment 291880

pork and garlic in the Weber...

View attachment 291881

garlic is done, pork has hours to go.

View attachment 291882
I could make it there by dinnertime even going through the Milwaukee rush hour traffic. I'm just up by the Washington, Sheboygan, Fond du Lac county junction...😁.

Unfortunately, I just got home a couple of hours ago and am expected to have our dinner ready for everyone else...

What time is supper?!
supper? ? you from Wisconsin?
I could make it there by dinnertime even going through the Milwaukee rush hour traffic. I'm just up by the Washington, Sheboygan, Fond du Lac county junction...😁.

Unfortunately, I just got home a couple of hours ago and am expected to have our dinner ready for everyone else...
take your time, supper's around 7 and there will be leftovers...

No garlic here in the stove. I added two short cherry splits at around 3 because last night's load was done and I wanted to keep the stove warm. 41 out today, and sunny. 71 in the home.

Last edited:
Reloaded with ash and maple just now. I'll simmer it tomorrow again; want to keep it warm for the 32 low tomorrow night. I am only letting it go cold if it's above 40 for 24 hrs or more. That'll happen Friday morning until Saturday afternoon.