What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With the warmer weather, we've been burning some pellets when needed. We hit 46 yesterday with a low of 36.4 this morning.

Since we have this warmer weather, I did a full clean on the inside of the wood stove this morning, when I finished I started a fire in the wood stove with some Ash.

So, yesterday's load of ash and maple is done. 23-ish hrs. Of course it was not cold; 29 for a low early morning, 46 for a high, and sunny. But the stove did its thing; it kept the basement at about 77 and my living room at about 70-72. I didn't need the stove; could have done it with the heat pump during the day, but tonight is going to be a low of 32 again. So I wanted to keep the stove warm for the fire that is starting now. This is what was left.

Tomorrow I'll let it go cold. 48 or so for a high, and 45 for a low. Saturday then 50. But 30 Saturday night, and colder on Sunday. So I'll relight Saturday afternoon.

I'll be taking some ashes out tomorrow or Saturday for the cold snap Sunday night and Monday.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Since it has been warmer, I haven't been looking at the outside temps. Last night I filled the wood stove up with Ash, up here was 70 and the basement 74.

This morning I loaded the Liberty back up with all Ash, 70 up here and the high temp in the basement hit 77.

Restarted the stove. 42 right now (after a 53 f high ...), and decreasing to 30 or so tomorrow morning. 1-2" snow predicted.

Full firebox top down start. (Bedtime stove starting, so no way to start with a bit, and create a coal bed for a night reload.)

Oak on the bottom, ash above that. Pine on top, minus one split that was filled with two cedar sticks, some splitting trash, and a few rolled up papers.

Fire started directly below the car, and when I tried to close the bypass 7 minutes in it already immediately started glowing.

Will run it higher than normal to warm up the basement. So likely a morning reload tomorrow.

Back home for a few days again. Ash & beech just got loaded and working on settling in. Down to 4 tonight.

Heading back to the northwoods Monday. Need to haul more wood up again. The ash & birch up there is down to low 20's mc on a fresh warm split, so I've been mixing it with good stuff from home. Temps below 0 for the overnights up there still.

It's 5.9 tonight with a forecast low of - 3, we have the pellet stove going in one corner and the wood stove in the other corner with a load of Ash and two rounds of Ironwood.

It's 70 in the living room and 68 in the sleeper.

In the single digits this monring. Got some maple in Myra. Couple pieces of pine in the Tundra to burn down the pile of coals from the load of hickory last night.

Just got back to 60F home after a week on road. Snow is coming down heavy. Black locust mixed with mystery wood.

This snow is throwing off my plan to build a new wood rack. Now I have about a cord of seasoned quality locust sitting on the ground gathering snow on top. Not happy at all.

We had a low of 0.4 this morning, the basement was 81 (shut the P.S. off) the living room was 69 and the bedroom was 67, the floors up here were 76.4.

I loaded up the wood stove with Ash and a few rounds of Ironwood, the temp up here is still at 70.