What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some more oddly shaped oak. 34 now 33 all night. Tomorrow I'll let the stove go cold and either tomorrow or Thursday I'll run the soot eater thru the flue.

Tomorrow 39, Thursday 42, Friday 43, with tomorrow and Thursday night a low of 34-35. I'll use the minisplit then.

Friday night 19, so Friday afternoon I'll light up again.

The oak pieces of last night are gone now. Waiting for it to cool down before I run the soot eater. But maybe it'll be tomorrow. A low of 34 tonight, so doable with the minisplit.

a friend sent some ironwood...
looks to awesome to toss in the stove...
they're about 3"x12" each...
really hate to burn'em...

ironwood.jpg

a friend sent some ironwood...
looks to awesome to toss in the stove...
they're about 3"x12" each...
really hate to burn'em...

View attachment 291370
I got a 1/2 dozen of those in limb wood too. There sitting in the basement near the wood furnace. Right on top of a stash of shag hickory. maybe a wheelbarrow or better. They were by the furnace when we moved in. They're dry as can be, and I didn't have it in me to "waste" em in the furnace. They're my back up stash now .....

I hoard hickory too.

Reactions: MMH and JamesGuido
Throws some nice heat when seasoned.
I'm certain of that!
I got a 1/2 dozen of those in limb wood too. There sitting in the basement near the wood furnace. Right on top of a stash of shag hickory. maybe a wheelbarrow or better. They were by the furnace when we moved in. They're dry as can be, and I didn't have it in me to "waste" em in the furnace. They're my back up stash now .....

I hoard hickory too.
My intention was to use it as wood for smoking meat...
It is supposedly very good for low n' slow cooking and emits a mild smoke flavour...

Just loaded some smaller elm and oak uglies that I couldn’t split. Racked my coals around pretty easy restart this morning. 12 inches of snow fell in the last (24 hours) wifey fed the stove yesterday while I was working..

We were just above 30 this morning with more maple going in the wood stove, the temp up here is 70.

We received more rain than snow overnight but the roads are good and the driveway has snow on it and not ice. Most of our snow (6-11) will come during the day and tonight.

-13 this morning at 7. Load of Aspen in the Strattford II on a good bed of coals has the temp up to 70 from the 64 the gas furnace is set at.

Hit a new high temp as I could smell paint curing. 868 on the door hot spot with the air 100% shut, which is about 650 stt. No flue temp as it is all class A chimney. I have to go by how the fire is acting to shut down the air. As soon as I start getting decent secondaries I start shutting down. Often I'll have to open back up again and then shut down again as this is not the easy breathing NC30 at home. I think the outside air intake really restricts the air flow until things are well heated. I do really like the new Auber digital flue probe I installed at home.

Firewood. The wife's at home feeding the stove. I've been in at work plowing snow since 3 or so this morning. I'd say we got about 8 inches right now with snow still falling with 15 degrees out.. It looks to be done snowing around 3:30.

wow! where in SE WI are you?
it was 11 above at 5:30am in northern Racine county...
I'm in the northwoods building now. Usually up 10 days, home 4. Get north of Stevens Point and Wausau and it's usually 10 degrees colder during the day and 15-20 colder at night. Lots more snow too.

I'm in the northwoods building now. Usually up 10 days, home 4. Get north of Stevens Point and Wausau and it's usually 10 degrees colder during the day and 15-20 colder at night. Lots more snow too.
oh boy... do i know that. Stay warm up nort!

oh boy... do i know that. Stay warm up nort!
Strattford II is doing it's job... well insulated and sealed new construction is pretty easy to heat; and the gas furnace kicking in isn't as offensive as the electric baseboard heaters at home.

Funny thing about the temps is that in summer it's often warmer here than SE WI because of Lake Michigan's cooling effect. I'll sometimes get cooling effect from Lake Superior here when winds are from the north or northwest, but the summer weather from the SW is predominant and hot.

Reactions: JamesGuido
My normal loads consist mostly of oak and cedar in various combinations. We’re having cold (for us this far south) and ice today, so I brought in lots of wood yesterday: big knotty cedar trunks for overnight and odd twisty pieces and y’s and chunks of both oak and cedar for burning down coals or loading empty spaces. I did a reload just before dinner and didn’t want to make it too big and have to wait for it to burn down for the overnight load, so I used just three pieces. One of those was a piece of cedar trunk that had a branch protruding that would have made it hard to load with others. It was medium sized. Around it on either side I packed two pieces of oak branch wood. Neither was as large as the cedar, but I figured that they would take a while to burn down and give some good support to the cedar. Imagine my surprise when I glanced at the stove a bit ago and saw the cedar burning merrily away and almost not even any oak coals remaining. Granted they were smaller pieces, but still.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

I just opened up the air to burn that down some more. My husband recently noodled a large cedar stump that had been sitting in our barn for three or four years. It gave us six short but very knotty pieces. I’m hoping to get two more in the stove for the overnight load (forecast for 17 degrees).