What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have had single digit nights all week. Another load of pine and mahogany for tonight.

15ºF in Raymond this Sunday morning....
burning oak is gonna heat up the place for two local roundball games around the noon hour
(#22Marquette at #17Providence)
(Minnesota at #11Wisconsin)

Hope you folks in the New England states and surrounding areas are staying warm

Our temp bottomed out at - 23.3, I'm not sure what the wind chill was but these double digit below zero temps can leave when this month ends.

I loaded up the wood stove this morning with Sugar Maple and Ironwood, I'll take some ashes out and reload with hopefully the same.

So, 24 today, 23 now, 16 for a low tonight.
After last night's oak was done around 12.30, I burned some combo of ash and maple. I reloaded for overnight with red oak around 8.30. Not a fully stuffed load because of some places where small branches had been that bulged out. Good wood, but a bit of air in between. I hope it'll be okay until tomorrow 8 is or so. Then I'll burn some big noodles oak knots during the day.

4* here. Actual temperature with no windchill. Feels good compared to the hell unleashed last night.
Old Moe is ingesting a garden salad. Nice even heat. 300* stove top. Got get her stoked up with a couple of big rounds on the coals with some surrounding splits. That should get me through the night. I'll be up for a while longer anyway. Work has come to a crawl.

So, 24 today, 23 now, 16 for a low tonight.
After last night's oak was done around 12.30, I burned some combo of ash and maple. I reloaded for overnight with red oak around 8.30. Not a fully stuffed load because of some places where small branches had been that bulged out. Good wood, but a bit of air in between. I hope it'll be okay until tomorrow 8 is or so. Then I'll burn some big noodles oak knots during the day.
Hopefully Accu is wrong, they have us getting a low temp of -24 at night on 2/4.

After so many single digit days and nights its a balmy 28 ! Burning ash. Saving the rest of my hickory and locust until after the next storm when temps will dive once more.

Wow. Ironwood!!! You may as well be burning coal. Getting ready for the next blast?? We are here!
When we have seasoned Ironwood, we usually burn a face cord a year and January up here in Northern NY was our coldest in about eight years an we heat from the basement so when we were -23 or -26 we needed it.

We also have a pellet stove in the opposite corner in the basement, we burn that at night with the wood stove during the coldest months. We burn 50 bags a year in the old Yankee Pellet Stove.

How has your winter been in the Rochester area?

Today was slightly punky oak uglies day after last night's load was done. 28 for a high, 25 now, low of 22.

Reloaded 2 half,-noodled and half-split oak crotches (so 4 Y-shaped pieces), one split of oak, and a small ash split for overnight. Lots of space left, do here's hoping the low of 22 will help get me till tomorrow.

Charring the load:

Last edited:
I ran the pellet stove overnight, we had a temp of 1.4 this morning and the P.S. was shut off, we're burning some of the Maples in the wood stove today.

The oak Y's from last night are done. The low was 19, not 22 as they had predicted.
I just added 2 oak uglies and a "X27 misfire" (sliver). 33 now, 34 for a high.

Oak oak and more oak... Been well below zero every night. Mostly by double digits. My favorite is -18. 50 degrees below freezing is fun!
I like oak.
All I burn.
Including on this quite evening in Raymond… still upper 30’s yet comfortably warm indoors.

Load of aspen going right now to get the temp back up and rewarm the fireplace in the northwoods. Nice day today with sun, this mornings aspen load got it a little too warm for drywalling... I was sweating! Let it burn out, just a few coals for the reload. Overnight will be beech, ash, birch and maybe a little oak. Will depend on how the tetris works out.