What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 5.4 this morning after the first cup of coffee, I ran the pellet and the wood stove overnight so we woke up to a temp of 72 in the living room and 68 in the bedroom, I'll take that heating from the basement.

We're just burning the wood stove and the temps up here are still 72 and the bedroom still at 68.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
Back below 0 tonight here. Save the Locust and Hickory for the nights. During the day I have cut ash a littler shorter and run it north south. Been nice ......I am running through a fair amount of would this January. I have plenty so not worried though!

A New Ash Grate!

We have - 11.3 already with the pellet stove going in the basement, I'll load up the wood stove around 10 with some Maple and Ironwood.

The temp here in the living room is hanging at 70 and the bedroom at 67.

Only going down to 7*F tonight.
Been feeding the stove dead ash limb wood and some splits of petrified black cherry.
Before I konk out I'll throw in a mix of locust, oak, and hicory. If I do this at 11 I'll be good till 5am. Been running the stove hotter on these colder days/nights.

Last night's oak was done at 4.30 or so (it was 29-33 today, so I didn't need a lot of heat; home was 70.5 all day) after which I took out two scoops of ashes, raked the coals to the front, and burned three times two sticks (1"*1") of cedar and ash on top. Helped a little, but I think that works better with a more directed airflow right to the coals. After that I put 3 small punky pieces of oak on. I reloaded with proper oak splits for overnight at 10.30.

It's 33 outside. Flurries started at 2. It's now been lightly snowing for 3 hrs. Accumulation of 3/4" or so. Wind is picking up.

A low of 26 tonight, a high of 26 tomorrow, and 11-17" of snow to go.

Last edited:
From what I saw before I called it a night, we had a low of - 18.7. I had both the pellet and wood stove going in the basement overnight, the living room temp this morning was 69 and the bedroom at 66.

We're back burning just the wood stove today, the forecast temp tonight is - 11.

Last night's oak was done at noon. Reloaded not completely full with a mix of pine, ash, and a maple split. Running high; wind is howling, temperature is dropping. 20 F now outside, with a wind chill of 5 F. May do another load before the night load.

Snow has become lighter. About a foot on the ground (in the snow gauge that is the trampoline with its safety net). Not sure how much more; forecast says snow until 8 pm or so.

Just tossed in a couple splits of maple to burn down the morning load coals. 71 in here 17 outside and about 12-15" on the ground so far. I'm running the stove pretty aggressively trying to get ahead in case of a power outtage. I'm pretty reliant on my blower/tower fan to move the air around. I will reload with a box full o maple once it's time!

🍁

Here too; using a fan to get the heat up

@Caw & @stoveliker , we could have another storm coming in on Feb. 2 & 3 for our area, we could get 11-18 inches of snow (still early so that will change) but they're talking about the areas on the east coast getting hit today with snow & wind possibly getting rain that could cause flooding, The Groundhog Day Storm.

Had a low of 18 last night with red oak for the heat. This morning it was 21 with red oak and hickory in the stove. We are going to have a run of nice days with highs in the 50s....nearly 60 monday.....and then a chance of a winter storm Tuesday night into Thursday morning with some of the coldest temps of the season Thursday night. They are still ironing out where the low will end up traveling which will determine if we actually get snow or just rain so we shall see.

@Caw & @stoveliker , we could have another storm coming in on Feb. 2 & 3 for our area, we could get 11-18 inches of snow (still early so that will change) but they're talking about the areas on the east coast getting hit today with snow & wind possibly getting rain that could cause flooding, The Groundhog Day Storm.

Gotta love New England weather. Mid Jan thru early March can get really wild. I'd prefer snow honestly. A big rain storm would lead to some real flooding issues then possibly ice. It was such a wet summer all the ponds are very full.

Gotta love New England weather. Mid Jan thru early March can get really wild. I'd prefer snow honestly. A big rain storm would lead to some real flooding issues then possibly ice. It was such a wet summer all the ponds are very full.
The way winters have been in the past is after we get snow the rain came in, last year was the first time that when the snows came....they stayed.

We'll put in extra wood tomorrow and then I'll make sure the snowbanks are pushed back far enough, if we get a bunch of snow and then rain/freeze, they won't be frozen in along the driveway.

I have about 13-14" on the ground. Still coming down, but lightly now. We won't get rain; it's 20 and decreasing to 14 overnight. Strong winds though, see wind chill temp below.

Once we get above freezing during the day and below at night, we have better ice than most NHL rinks.

9pm with wind chills expecting to hit -30* One of the coldest nights Ive had here yet. I believe it will be an accurate forecast. I'm in the hills at about 1300ft or more. Have a mix of everything burning right now. Small rounds and splits. For overnight, I've been saving a 6'' apple round and an 8'' pignut hickory round. I fill the remaining space with some smaller rounds of locust, and oak. Our Husky and Akita have been laying on the floor trying to keep cool. 🤣

BTW, it's been almost 20yrs since I've had the pleasure of burning apple. I'm quite impressed. We have 9 of them growing here. 4 have some decent dead wood limbs. 2 are 30' or so in height with good dia limb wood. I find this stuff to be ready burn this time of year. I'll be doing some climbing soon when it gets a bit nicer out.

Last edited:
Wind still 25 here on NJ coast with temp at 16f. Wind chill way colder. Gonna load up with some petrified oak. Jotul f400 still up for the task and keeping poorly insulated cape house warm.

16, wind chill 4, low of 14.
After the pine/ash/maple from earlier today was done, I burned three pieces of punky oak. After that I used some 1*1" ash pieces to burn down some coals.
Now it's red oak for overnight.