What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We will probably be using the furnace here and there as well for the next week. The girls bedrooms are on the far side of the house over the garage. When it gets this cold it get difficult to keep them warm so the furnace helps out here and there. Gonna be a week of burning a lot of locust.

Warm night here with a low of 27. Tossed some cherry and ash into the 1600. Also brought some of the good maple and red oak into the basement in prep for the upcoming cold this week. Secondaries rolling, time for bed.

Sitting under some cold Lake effect snow now. 6” of fluff on top of the snowpack. Headed for at least a week in the singles and teens. Got into a vein of Bradford Pear ! Mixing it with the maple and locust!

Nothing for me right now. Reloaded at 6:45 am with a load of ash/ cherry and I've let it go out. It's 45/sunny outside and 70 inside so the sun is keeping the temp steady.

I'll likely make a tiny starter fire around 7 pm so i can reload on coals for overnight. I hate starting an overnight fire in a cold stove... you waste too much energy heating up the box.

Got home @ 5:15 this afternoon after reloading @ 5:30 this morning. We had a high temp of 15* & 4” of snow today, the stove room was still 78* & I still have plenty of coals for a restart at about 6:30 or so this evening. The Century & the Osage that is seasoned 35-40 years is doing quite well keeping the old shack warm.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Got home @ 5:15 this afternoon after reloading @ 5:30 this morning. We had a high temp of 15* & 4” of snow today, the stove room was still 78* & I still have plenty of coals for a restart at about 6:30 or so this evening. The Century & the Osage that is seasoned 35-40 years is doing quite well keeping the old shack warm.

View attachment 273867

35 years of seasoning??? Holy mackerel. How did you manage that? I feel good about myself having 3 years worth of wood on property lol.

35 years of seasoning??? Holy mackerel. How did you manage that? I feel good about myself having 3 years worth of wood on property lol.
Lol, they were old fence posts. I wrangle as many of them as I can when I know a fence is getting taken out. I have several cut up that I helped my dad put in when I was kid. I have scored a few that are well over 50years old.

It's 17.4 tonight with a forecast low of 11, the Liberty has a load of sugar maple, beech and ironwood in it.

We'll put in another two loads of beech and sugar maple tomorrow before our cold snap hits and then I can finish plowing.

8 degrees right now. Another load of ash in the stove, all I’ll be burning for the next 2 weeks or so. I’ve been burning smaller splits since this cold snap started and couldn’t be happier with my stove performance. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s a different batch of wood or that I’m able to utilize more of the firebox and really pack them in there tight.

I used to do 6 or so large splits and maybe a smaller or medium one to fill in gaps, now I’m able to do maybe 1 or 2 large splits and 8-10 smaller ones (4” across +/-1). This is the first time I’ve burned mostly small splits like this and might be splitting my wood smaller in the future now. Will experiment some more and see.

A brisk -12 outside. Loaded furnace at 5am with whatever was in the pile, probably ash and what I think was hickory. Currently burning a piece of pine in the stove to help burn down the coals.

We had 10.4 this morning with more of the maples going in the Lopi. This afternoon I'll be taking out some ash, it feels good to burn better wood.

With all the plowing I did yesterday, we never did get the two loads of beech and sugar maple in so that will go in today.