What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Started the stove again. Snowing at 33 F here. Predictions are 8" or so today. The minisplit would defrost often with the humidity outside, and given that it's going to be cold this week, the stove has been restarted. I'll likely mostly burn during the day and use some oil in early morning to heat up again (we're okay with a cold house at night, but the basement stove does not heat the main floor up fast enough - it's good for maintaining heat, but I don't have enough wood for that...)

Now cut off cookies of ash, oak, a small split of cherry, and some sassafras to fill se holes. Going to be good cruising today.

Attachments

• What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
    IMG_20210207_104048715.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 85
  • What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
    16127129492563962368590086204209.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 92
Up to -11 with a brisk wind :p . More ash & beech. Heaters surprisingly didn't kick in overnight that we know of, but they must have been close judging by where the thermometers were at.

Gonna need to try to get the temp up in the house tomorrow morning and let it burn down to clean out ash in the afternoon. At least it will be sunny with a high of 10.

Up to -11 with a brisk wind :p . More ash & beech. Heaters surprisingly didn't kick in overnight that we know of, but they must have been close judging by where the thermometers were at.

Gonna need to try to get the temp up in the house tomorrow morning and let it burn down to clean out ash in the afternoon. At least it will be sunny with a high of 10.

The word "high" in combination with 10F is a contradiction in terms...

Were sitting about 11 right now I have both stoves going with ash and some locust. Yesterday it warmed up to 25 so while the girls were sledding me and the labs filled the garage back up and played in the woods for a few hours. Going to be a chilly week but I'm sure everyone is ready.

Winter finally hit here, dropped to 0 last night, we're at 4 now and that's supposed to be our low for tonight. We got about 4 inches of snow, I know that's nothing.. This is what I've been holding off on burning the oak and locust for. It's movie weather, but I'll have to get out tomorrow!

I'm going to get caught burning down coals tonight so we'll use the pellet stove for heat. NOAA is calling for a low of 2, earlier it was 8.
I was just noticing how much the coals are building up in my stove, I think I'm going to get caught, but my backup is propane... :(

I was just noticing how much the coals are building up in my stove, I think I'm going to get caught, but my backup is propane... :(
I never told the wife not to start a second fire , I was outside plowing when she started it. I should've cleaned it out in the morning like I usually do when it needs it.

I've been saving the ashes for the driveway, once we get into the thaw/freeze cycle, our driveway will need all the wood ash, pellet dust and sand that we have.

Pine, Pine, and more Pine, only thing I have dry at the moment. Grandpa bear is happy and the house is good and warm. I got a line on a large amount of free wood today, if anyone is close to the Kernersville area on NC there is more than enough to go around. Bring a trailer, or dump truck. https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/zip/d/colfax-free-wood-logs/7259270194.html

pine is all I have too, there is other stuff available but I’ve been cutting the pines (22”-28”) off the house since we bought the house in 2018. Can’t stand to just let it lay and rot up and can’t give it to anyone for saw logs.

A balmy 3 degrees here now...and more single digit and minus windchill weather to follow...going to keep on keeping on with the locust and oak...

27 now, low of 18 tonight. Magic cocktail of Cherry, Ash, and Maple again into the Osburn. I think this has become my favorite combo for not super cold nights. The cherry smells great and is bone dry so it gets the other woods going. The maple burns a little hotter/faster than the ash but leaves few coals whereas the ash is the work horse and leaves great coals for the morning.

When it gets really cold I bust out the red oak/ash/maple combo. BTUs alllllll night long baby. ::-)

The word "high" in combination with 10F is a contradiction in terms...
Today's high at my house was a balmy -32*C, and that isn't with the wind chill! We are in a good old fashion cold snap up here right now, and it's forecast to last the week at least. All I've got for the stove is jack pine and black spruce. Have to let the furnace do some of the work in this weather, or I'll be out of seasoned wood in a matter of weeks!

I spent the last hour burning down my coals, didn't add any new wood, stirred it every 10 minutes or so, and the coals finally burned down to an acceptable amount to get ready for over night burning. Only in the last few minutes did my flue temps go below the optimum temperature on my Fluegard thermometer. Although in that short time, with it being 6 degrees out, the temperature in this room dropped 10 degrees... Time to heat it back up, with more oak and locust.

Today's high at my house was a balmy -32*C, and that isn't with the wind chill! We are in a good old fashion cold snap up here right now, and it's forecast to last the week at least. All I've got for the stove is jack pine and black spruce. Have to let the furnace do some of the work in this weather, or I'll be out of seasoned wood in a matter of weeks!
3 degrees is actually balmy here! lol...everytime you guys post from the far north it is a stark reminder of how easy we actually have it here in the "south"..

We had - 7.2 this morning, the ashes from the wood stove went outside in a garbage can in the woods and the Liberty is cranking out the heat.

The pellet stove did its job overnight, we had 71 up here and the basement much warmer.

@MissMac is here to remind us what whiners we are! :eek: @Grizzerbear, I think the cold front must have settled in between us, for now. It's at 9 this morning, and a stove full of coals, time to stir and burn again. My flue temps have gone back up just from stiring the coals. Then more oak and locust.

Last edited: