What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stove cranking with a load of elm. Storm moving in, got sleet/freezing rain right now. Bitter cold starting tomorrow for the next week. The Tundra II is all cleaned out and ready. Will start it up tonight.

Filled ours full this morning with a load of red oak and cherry. Was a brutal 15F this morning with wind chill at close to 0F. Cruising at about 450 STT right now as it's mostly coals.

Last edited:
It was 15.3 when we were having our first cup of coffee and dropped to 12.3 by the time we had our second cup.

We switched over to firewood this morning from pellets, a few ash splits and a bunch of limb wood went in the Liberty.

It was 15.3 when we were having our first cup of coffee and dropped to 12.3 by the time we had our second cup.

We switched over to firewood this morning from pellets, a few ash splits and a bunch of limb wood went in the Liberty.

The moral of the story: two cups is too much:p

My stove is cold, I let the furnace take over yesterday afternoon & it will run until tomorrow evening. With this cold blast coming in tomorrow night I thought it best to try the furnace out & let a bit of heat radiate off the duct work into the crawl space before this cold spell. Then I’m all ready to go with a big pile of Osage.

At least that’s my plan, assuming I can tolerate listening to the furnace run that long... I find it rather irritating every time I hear it kick on.

Last edited:
It was a great day up here in northern N.Y., the sun was very strong but that will change soon enough.
Same here. Even the sunroom (singe pane, not insulated etc) was 74 today.
Just went out with the kids to a nearby slope for some sledding. Nice bright sunset.

Last edited:
I didn't load either stove up last night before I went to sleep. I figured it's 28 out so the house should be good it was 76+ at 1130. I get up at 330 so I figured I'll be fine. At about 230 the furnace kicked on and I thought that was odd but no big deal. After getting up and taking the dogs out I realized it wasn't as warm as I thought. I saw 11 and realized it dropped more than I thought. I loaded both stoves up with ash to get the house warm again. We had temps in the upper 30's today.

Just had the chimney swept. All is well so I'm firing up a load of cherry and ash as we speak. We've had the heat pump/resistance on 62 since yesterday to keep the stove cold and nobody is happy about it. Time to get it toasty!
There's not much better, maybe hickory in my opinion that beats the smells of burning cherry.

Like JimBear I let the heat pump run today. It was in the mid 40s. Good to know it works every now and then.....but it drives me nuts runnin it still lol. When I got home I tossed a small load of various odds and ends uglies in to take the place of the furnace. I have a load of hickory and black jack for the overnight. Its 33 now with 25 for a low tonight.

Does NOAA know you're cheating on it? ;lol

Low of 21 here tonight. Just some cherry and ash for tonight. Saving the remainder of the red oak for colder nights.
NOAA's low for us is 11 but that reading is coming from Massena International - Richards Field Airport that is over 40 miles north of here.

Ash & beech again. Looking at what's left in the garage, I may have been optimistic about how much I'd use this year. Wasn't quite full, but I was mostly out of well seasoned stuff. Probably be hitting the outside softwood stacks come March. Nice tetris though...
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

We had our first cup of coffee and the temp was 26 this morning, by the time we were done with the second cup it was 32.

Some maple and limb wood went in the Lopi, we're still burning down coals.

I let the stove go out tonight; conserving dry wood:(. Only 29 or so tonight. Likely sassafras during the day tomorrow.
Did the same yesterday afternoon. Came to the realization that I’ll run out of my dry stuff if I keep burning 24/7 so I’m gonna start letting the furnace run after the morning load dies down when it’s above freezing in the afternoon.

Let the stove go cold this morning so I could clean her out, been using propane all day, which is like nails on a chalk board. Got about 2-2.5 cups +\- of powder out of the pipe, right on par with usual. Good to go; another load of pine going in to warm the stove back up and another load of pine for tonight.

We're about to hit single digit highs for 10 plus days and well below zero at night every night for awhile. Wish I had some coal lol but huge oak pieces will have to suffice. I'll also likely be running an afternoon load every day just to keep temps in the house up. We're cycling our furnace to come on a few times a day to heat the basement since the stove heat can't get down there.