What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
-3 and the house is chilly. Burning little stuff and bark to take the chill off and burn the coals down. Need to remove some ash, so that will be my goal for the day - get the house warm enough to let the stove go mostly out. I think I'm setting myself up for failure...

Low 20's now I reloaded the basement stove with more locust, after 14+ hours hot coals still in the stove and basement is 73. The upstairs stove is burning down the coals with some cedar splits.

19 out now and a low of 16. I was in line for 3 hours to get my vaccine this evening so the wife did the tricky dinner time hold me over reload. Gotta put enough in to keep the temps up and have coals to reload at bed time but not too much or you'll bake and be up all night waiting.

Well...it didn't go well. Only put a few logs on to keep the box warm instead of getting a little more heat out of the stove so its only 64 in here heading into the overnight burn. I normally like it to be more like 68...gonna be a little nippy when we wake up.

Stuffed it to the gills with Ash, Chery, and a single red oak split because f it why not. Hopefully I can avoid the heater turning on early am.

Its 19 with a low of 16 tonight. I got a load of post oak going in for overnight. Still getting freezing drizzle as of now. It's not adding up to much which is good but the roads sure are slick. Expecting this off and on til Wednesday night when the cold front pushes further south.

Same old song... ash & beech. 0 deg F now, supposedly down to -13F overnight...

Struggling with the whole coals vs BTU vs too much ash thing. Might go grab some softwood tomorrow from the garage to burn it down to fill it up with hardwood again. Too danged cold to let it go out completely. Next ash removal will have to wait until a sunny day closer to 20 degrees. Spent hours trying to burn it down to remove ash and get the heat up with bark today with poor results.

21 F, going 20 tonight. Did put some sassafras in, hoping to have dialled it in right so that the home doesn't get below 60 and I still have some coals left for tomorrow's load of oak.

Same issue as @Caw ; put in some knotty pieces of sassafras at 7 or so to tide me over till now. And I had too much left, so I couldn't fill the box up as I should. No wife to blame though...

Same old song... ash & beech. 0 deg F now, supposedly down to -13F overnight...

Struggling with the whole coals vs BTU vs too much ash thing. Might go grab some softwood tomorrow from the garage to burn it down to fill it up with hardwood again. Too danged cold to let it go out completely. Next ash removal will have to wait until a sunny day closer to 20 degrees. Spent hours trying to burn it down to remove ash and get the heat up with bark today with poor results.
The struggle is real...
I have a small rack in the house of just pine to burn down coals. Rake coal to front and throw a split on top. Gets stove top around 450-500.

Juggling 2 burners during the cold spell we are having. Trying to stagger the loadings to minimize the temp swings. Working well, woke up to 68 this morning. Menu is boring, ash with occasional oak or elm piece.

A brush!

16 F this morning. 35 and a bit of snow today. Rest of the week won't see above freezing.

Small 3" splits of old (and slightly punky, but dry) oak just now, after a night of sassafras that holds surprisingly well for 12 hrs.
Keeping the higher BTU wood for the days as we don't need it very warm during the night.

About to reload with... get ready for it...

Cherry, ash, and maple!

I can't stop, won't stop using this combo. I'm addicted. I am starting to run low on seasoned cherry though so I'll eventually be on the more basic maple/ash train to end the season.

Snow starting to fall again. Oh boy!

After failing on the dinner time reload last night and being too cold I decided to do the opposite tonight. I loaded her up with the usual cherry/maple/ash and let it rip. Settled in nicely at 650 and cruising now...should be nice and warm for the overnight reload later.

PS - This stove top thermometer is the best one I've ever owned as far as cheap magnetic models. It lags as they all do but it's pretty close to my IR once it settles in. I usually zap the pipe/top junction through the air gap for more real time accurate temps when dialing in the air but this thing is good for a quick peek when you're walking by.

20210209_180006.jpg

20210209_175950.jpg

After failing on the dinner time reload last night and being too cold I decided to do the opposite tonight. I loaded her up with the usual cherry/maple/ash and let it rip. Settled in nicely at 650 and cruising now...should be nice and warm for the overnight reload later.

PS - This stove top thermometer is the best one I've ever owned as far as cheap magnetic models. It lags as they all do but it's pretty close to my IR once it settles in. I usually zap the pipe/top junction through the air gap for more real time accurate temps when dialing in the air but this thing is good for a quick peek when you're walking by.

View attachment 274132
View attachment 274133
X2 on the Condar Inferno. They are top notch. I run my stove up to the same mark as you have pictured before turning down to my cruise setting. Good and hot!

After 2 rounds of coal reduction I will be stuffing the box in a few minutes with my next load.

Going to burn this mystery hardwood tonite I think. No idea what it is, no bark on standing dead, smells pretty strong.

Attachments

• What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
    20210209_174041.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 106
  • What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
    20210209_211556.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 103
Ash & beech (I'm a broken record...). A little haze on the glass. I've finally learned to start earlier, shut the air all the way to have secondaries and no primaries until it settles down, then open it up some for a better more complete overnight burn. Forgot how much I love burning ash.