Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Agreed. I usually get a trailer like the one you posted for $100, about 2 to 2.5 cords but I consider myself to be very fortunate on that price. I just happen to be a mile away from a busy tree guy's wood lot. Like you said $100 a cord is fair and significant savings vs buying pre split green wood for $300. Plus we get to have the fun of processing it!
Indeed. Just informed my wife I’m getting some “free” wood delivered next week. She says why do we need more we’re not heating our house with its only for “pleasure”. I told her we can’t use it for a while anyway it’s unseasoned 🤫

Indeed. Just informed my wife I’m getting some “free” wood delivered next week. She says why do we need more we’re not heating our house with its only for “pleasure”. I told her we can’t use it for a while anyway it’s unseasoned 🤫
You are so F-ed when that trailer shows up lol but I'm rooting for you man. You got this.

I carried each one them back 100 ft to the storage area by hand
I have a hand cart I bought at Home Depot years ago. It's rated for 1000#s. I carry a lot of weight on it.
I can plop 2 pallets on and wheel them wherever they need to go.

You are so F-ed when that trailer shows up lol but I'm rooting for you man. You got this.
She’s not gonna be home when it comes lol she’ll just see the pile of wood 🤣my plan is to cut up as much as possible as quick as possible haha

I can easily cut 2.5 cords of logs into 16”-18” lengths in an hour or so. Moving it all, not so much haha

Reactions: all night moe
That why I like my tree guy. He has to load everything by hand so I know I can move it all by hand when it shows up. It may be knotty and bucked into 9-12 inch long rounds but for free I’m not complaining. No problem loading anything NS with those shorties.

Any one else have a suggestion for a better spot for most accurate temperature for this magnetic stop top thermometer?

IMG_9955.jpeg

Last edited:
Any one else have a suggestion for a better spot for most accurate temperature for this magnetic stop top thermometer?

View attachment 321635
The center is the hottest part. Look up above the baffle and see where the deflector is located it will be hotesest right in-front of that. The further back the hotter. It’s a good spot. I’d be ok with 750F and hotter short excursions at that location.

So that’s how is supposed to look;)

Reactions: MRD1985
Get it as far under the lip of the surround as you can but still read it. An IR gun is the most handy for this stove though IMO. You can get the laser under the surround for instant accuracy. I gave up on the magnetic. The hottest spot on my stove is just under the convective jacket center-right as you look at it. Regularly hits 725-775 while rest of the stove top cruises at 650-700.

Right here. Another benefit of no surround, I can access more of the stove:

1000000926.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MRD1985
She’s not gonna be home when it comes lol she’ll just see the pile of wood 🤣my plan is to cut up as much as possible as quick as possible haha

I can easily cut 2.5 cords of logs into 16”-18” lengths in an hour or so. Moving it all, not so much haha
I would love to see you buck 2.5 cords in an hour. There's just no way even with the MS 261 unless they are all perfectly straight, no big ones, all set you don't need to cut and roll, and it all goes perfectly. You'll probably need to mix in a sharpen too (that only takes 5-10 min) and refuel, reload oil, etc it all adds up. That doesn't include prep or clean up etc. Not saying I'm doubting that time...but I'm doubting that time 🤣. If you got it all done in one day start to finish that's really good work.

It usually takes me a good two days a few hours each to buck a 2.5 cord delivery. I take my time but I'm still moving at a good clip. I move all the wood to the side and keep it all neat. Takes 5 or so tanks of gas and 1-2 quick sharpens. That's all in everything done but it definitely still takes me much longer than an hour to just cut it all.

I would love to see you buck 2.5 cords in an hour. There's just no way even with the MS 261 unless they are all perfectly straight, no big ones, all set you don't need to cut and roll, and it all goes perfectly. You'll probably need to mix in a sharpen too (that only takes 5-10 min) and refuel, reload oil, etc it all adds up. That doesn't include prep or clean up etc. Not saying I'm doubting that time...but I'm doubting that time 🤣. If you got it all done in one day start to finish that's really good work.

It usually takes me a good two days a few hours each to buck a 2.5 cord delivery. I take my time but I'm still moving at a good clip. I move all the wood to the side and keep it all neat. Takes 5 or so tanks of gas and 1-2 quick sharpens. That's all in everything done but it definitely still takes me much longer than an hour to just cut it all.

I’ll be sure to time it!! I’m just going off how fast I can buck full length trees up on our property in Maine. But the oak will surely be tough on chains. I have a brand new spare chain ready to go Instead of stopping to sharpen If I’m cruising right along. And you are correct. This is given no massive diameter trees or ones with big twists or knots. 🤞🤞 I was not factoring time to stack rounds, cutting only 😁

Thank you both for advice on the thermometer ! I’ll use my snap on multi laser thermometer I already have for that if needed too

Last edited:
Sometimes I think a quick touch up with the file is just as fast as changing the chain. I also just hate changing chains though lol. Filing is a nice little break on the back. I do keep an extra bar and chain handy at all times though in case I misread a log and get pinched.

First cold start . Starting off with a small load. Definitely wants the door just barely cracked open for now. Took the trim off just to make sure no flue leaks. So far so good.

IMG_9958.jpeg

Last edited:
air shut off nearly all the way. Right around 500 degrees with 5 small pieces of oak. Blower works well so far.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc... Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

That looks like a pretty good size load there. Does this stove call for break in fires?

It does call for a “smaller” fire, which I ran to about 400-425 degrees, mostly to cure the paint according to the manual. I loaded a few larger chunks of oak (not packed full by any means) after it cooled a little to about 250-300 degrees. Able to get the secondaries to light after those few larger pieces of oak. No more paint fumes or “fog” from things curing anymore after that second hotter fire.

IMG_9973.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought u r supposed to let it cool way down between break in fires? Think it helps cure the sealants /stove cement properly?

I thought u r supposed to let it cool way down between break in fires? Think it helps cure the sealants /stove cement properly?
It didn’t specifically say that 🤷🏻‍♂️. I linked the small bit of info the manual stated. Most of the warnings was about the paint fumes. The fumes did stop after the second load. It will cool off overnight not going to run it overnight.

Last edited:

Double checked again, and that small section is the only information they provide about “break in”. Again, seems predominantly to cure the paint and burn off any assembly oil, etc

I also highly recommend getting an IR gun. It'll allow you to access the true hottest part of the stove which is just under the lip of the convection jacket. You'll eventually get so good you don't need it but for spot checks. I used to use magnets and this is just much more accurate because you can shoot the right spot in real time. It's also useful for checking the floor or walls etc. I trained my kids to use it they love it and are always telling me the STT.

Gun + hottest spot on my stove:

I also highly recommend getting an IR gun. It'll allow you to access the true hottest part of the stove which is just under the lip of the convection jacket. You'll eventually get so good you don't need it but for spot checks. I used to use magnets and this is just much more accurate because you can shoot the right spot in real time. It's also useful for checking the floor or walls etc. I trained my kids to use it they love it and are always telling me the STT.

Gun + hottest spot on my stove:

View attachment 321864View attachment 321865
According to the magnet the hottest it got was some where between 650-700. I do have an IR gun, have to grab it from my toolbox at work.

And I must admit, the trim free look is growing on me.

And I must admit, the trim free look is growing on me.
1000000964.gif

Goooood...😈

If nothing else the IR gun will tell you where to put the magnetic. 650-700 is great if it's in the right spot. That stove will go up to 750 no problem. I don't get concerned until it creeps past 750. SBI considers 840 over firing.

View attachment 321867

Goooood...😈

If nothing else the IR gun will tell you where to put the magnetic. 650-700 is great if it's in the right spot. That stove will go up to 750 no problem. I don't get concerned until it creeps past 750. SBI considers 840 over firing.
Haha. One of my all time favorite sagas…

Im sure it’s close but I will verify next time wit the IR gun

I also must say this room and the house in general has never felt this cozy. The heat reaches every room in the house without fans. On the warm side certainly in the stove room but no where near unbearable or overpowering
IMG_9960.jpeg

Last edited: