Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yea just depends on traffic getting through/around the city. You aren't very conveniently located coming from the NE.

Was working at a buddies house yesterday and came across this guy. Does a great job beating his house. No idea how old it is, it was there when he bought the house and it does a great job.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc... Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Was working at a buddies house yesterday and came across this guy. Does a great job beating his house. No idea how old it is, it was there when he bought the house and it does a great job.

View attachment 320708 View attachment 320709
If you post this in the classic stove forum someone will be able to identify it almost immediately. The old school stove guys know every model it's impressive.

Stove and liner are in. Had to order an inside mount adapter for the stove to attach the liner. They also sent the wrong chimney cap. So just about have everything I need. Hopefully can install it next week.

IMG_9764.jpeg

Patched up some broken mortar in the bricks on the rear of the fireplace, cut the damper door out and notched the frame work in the middle for clearance. Chipped some brick away to get at least 8” clearance. Also made a template for the block off plate. Might have to do more trimming of bricks but we’ll see.

IMG_9777.jpeg IMG_9781.jpeg IMG_9782.jpeg IMG_9786.jpeg IMG_9642.jpeg

Last edited:
Finished it up today. Haven’t really had time to get a long stretch it working on it so did it in pieces. Block off plate fabricated from 26 gauge galvanized sheet metal, sealed with rutland 600*F silicone. Added 3.5” of fire proof insulated above block off plate. All liner connections sealed with 2000*F furnace cement. Also added washer between thermostat and stove to ensure good connection for blower operation.

IMG_9940.jpeg IMG_9939.jpeg IMG_9941.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks very familiar! Except the Drolet opens on the left that is interesting. Mine opens on the right. Otherwise mostly the same exact stove.

I know your wife is ummm.....let's go with difficult lol....but I find them unit works better and looks sharp without the backsplash. Something to think about.

Do you have enough front clearance from the door? Looks close. These stoves put out a lot of heat onto the ground right front.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Looks good.. You are going to need some sort of fire resistant mat in Front. That does not appear to be a sufficient distance from Combustibles. At least from the pic it looks too close.

Looks very familiar! Except the Drolet opens on the left that is interesting. Mine opens on the right. Otherwise mostly the same exact stove.

I know your wife is ummm.....let's go with difficult lol....but I find them unit works better and looks sharp without the backsplash. Something to think about.

Do you have enough front clearance from the door? Looks close. These stoves put out a lot of heat onto the ground right front.

View attachment 321476
I have a fire resistant mat in the mail. I’m a bit short on front clearance to combustibles. All other clearances I have plenty of room.

Out of curiosity, what makes it work better without the trim plate kit? Just more residual heat output? I know the blower puts out heat from the gaps at the top/side. I feel like the air flow would be greatly reduced without a “funnel” opening.

Looks good.. You are going to need some sort of fire resistant mat in Front. That does not appear to be a sufficient distance from Combustibles. At least from the pic it looks too close.
Good eyes. The mat is in the mail. I’m a bit short on front clearance. Airports on all other aspects.

You may have already thought of this but to be sure:

Do you need R value or just ember protection? My stove requires R = 1 for 16 inches from the front door. Some mats and protectors are ember only which is R = 0.

I have a fire resistant mat in the mail. I’m a bit short on front clearance to combustibles. All other clearances I have plenty of room.

Out of curiosity, what makes it work better without the trim plate kit? Just more residual heat output? I know the blower puts out heat from the gaps at the top/side. I feel like the air flow would be greatly reduced without a “funnel” opening.
Yes you pick up the residual heat from the sides of the stove. It's not a huge amount but it's something. The blower is moving air around the stove through the convection jacket and out the top. That's what's creating the "funnel" you're referring to. The trim plate is purely decorative.

It's certainly not worth arguing with the wife but I like capturing every BTU possible since I'm using it to heat the house... Unlike you. Wink wink. My wife was originally unsure about the book faceplate look but now she likes it better this way. Shows off more of the brick and looks good.

Reactions: bigealta
What a Big turn around from 1 1/2 months ago!

You may have already thought of this but to be sure:

Do you need R value or just ember protection? My stove requires R = 1 for 16 inches from the front door. Some mats and protectors are ember only which is R = 0.

Manual states R value of 1.24 for 16” for my application (5+” raised hearth). The rug I ordered is from north line express (fireside chimney supply brand) but it does not post an R value. It does meet FFI-70 for suface flammability and is 2 ply heat set olefin. It states hot cinders will damage fibers but will not spread.

Yes you pick up the residual heat from the sides of the stove. It's not a huge amount but it's something. The blower is moving air around the stove through the convection jacket and out the top. That's what's creating the "funnel" you're referring to. The trim plate is purely decorative.

It's certainly not worth arguing with the wife but I like capturing every BTU possible since I'm using it to heat the house... Unlike you. Wink wink. My wife was originally unsure about the book faceplate look but now she likes it better this way. Shows off more of the brick and looks good.

I’ll have to do an experiment on heat output. I have no idea if she cares about the trim plate looks or not 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’ll test it out with a couple of fires and observe the difference.

Reactions: bigealta
Manual states R value of 1.24 for 16” for my application (5+” raised hearth). The rug I ordered is from north line express (fireside chimney supply brand) but it does not post an R value. It does meet FFI-70 for suface flammability and is 2 ply heat set olefin. It states hot cinders will damage fibers but will not spread.
Interesting. 1.24 is a good bump up from my R = 1 requirement. Ember protection and insulation are very different. I think you should closely monitor the temperature of your floor over a long burn. Like I said before, you'll see this stove puts out a lot of heat directly in front of it on the floor. If it stays too hot over time you'll be damaging the floor/jeopardize pyrolysis. Plenty of easy ways to add R value. Can just throw 2 pieces of Micore underneath the rug. That's what I have under my ember king. Well I only have 1 piece add it's R = 1.

Interesting. 1.24 is a good bump up from my R = 1 requirement. Ember protection and insulation are very different. I think you should closely monitor the temperature of your floor over a long burn. Like I said before, you'll see this stove puts out a lot of heat directly in front of it on the floor. If it stays too hot over time you'll be damaging the floor/jeopardize pyrolysis. Plenty of easy ways to add R value. Can just throw 2 pieces of Micore underneath the rug. That's what I have under my ember king. Well I only have 1 piece add it's R = 1.
Yes aware of flammability is different than insulation. I sent a product inquiry to them about it to see. If needed, I’ll add some micore or find a different rug.

If curious, here is a link.

Yes aware of flammability is different than insulation. I sent a product inquiry to them about it to see. If needed, I’ll add some micore or find a different rug.

If curious, here is a link.

I wasn't calling you a dumbass 🤣. Cool rug though

I wasn't calling you a dumbass 🤣. Cool rug though
Haha I know, all good.

Man, I looked at micore 160 that stuff is not cheap and can only find packs of 4. You know of any suppliers that will sell 2 packs?

Haha I know, all good.

Man, I looked at micore 160 that stuff is not cheap and can only find packs of 4. You know of any suppliers that will sell 2 packs?
I was able to purchase 1 x 8'x4' sheet at Kamco back in 2020 when I installed mine. I got 4 pieces out of it. Messed up once and gave the other 2 to a neighbor for a project he was doing. It was around $100 back then pre covid. Looks like it's $160 now. You unfortunately will need 2 layers due to the R requirement but one piece should suffice. Just don't mess up the cut!

Reactions: MRD1985
I was able to purchase 1 x 8'x4' sheet at Kamco back in 2020 when I installed mine. I got 4 pieces out of it. Messed up once and gave the other 2 to a neighbor for a project he was doing. It was around $100 back then pre covid. Looks like it's $160 now. You unfortunately will need 2 layers due to the R requirement but one piece should suffice. Just don't mess up the cut!

Awesome thanks! Better getting 1 big sheet than a 4 pack at 250$ for 24x48” sheets!

Hmm you would think there would be a more economically reasonable solution to get an R-1. I wonder what anti fatigue mat r value is?