Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did you do any break in fires yet?

Hmm you would think there would be a more economically reasonable solution to get an R-1. I wonder what anti fatigue mat r value is?
The tough parts of that is that the insulating material must be fire proof. You can easily get an R value from f 1 from other materials, but it won’t be fire proof.

The fire resistant mat I ordered does not have any R value like a hearth pad per the company selling it.

The tough parts of that is that the insulating material must be fire proof. You can easily get an R value from f 1 from other materials, but it won’t be fire proof.

The fire resistant mat I ordered does not have any R value like a hearth pad per the company selling it.
Copy, I was thinking the mat would cover the fireproof requirement.

I have 2 fireproof/resistant mats on top of each other. But that's for ember protection, They don't get very hot with my jotul, but have seen a few nice sized embers .

Copy, I was thinking the mat would cover the fireproof requirement.

I have 2 fireproof/resistant mats on top of each other. But that's for ember protection, They don't get very hot with my jotul, but have seen a few nice sized embers .

The mat will stop fire, but it won’t protect the floor beneath it from high heat. I plan on monitoring how hot the mat gets. If the floor beneath it is getting too warm, I’m going to get a sheet of the micore to go under the mat.

Hmm you would think there would be a more economically reasonable solution to get an R-1. I wonder what anti fatigue mat r value is?
I'm sure there is not probably not as thin and hide-able as Micore. His stove requires R = 1.24 which is even harder. Brick would be ideal but not an option for him or myself. I really like my ember king/Micore look. The powdered steel is ultra durable and sharp looking.

I'm sure there is not probably not as thin and hide-able as Micore. His stove requires R = 1.24 which is even harder. Brick would be ideal but not an option for him or myself. I really like my ember king/Micore look. The powdered steel is ultra durable and sharp looking.

So here’s something screwy. I looked up the manual online to get you that information yesterday regarding the R value requirements. I did not pay attention to the date of publication, which was April of 2016. I was just skimming through the manual that came with the insert, and it states that hearths raised 5” or need ONLY a non combustible mat WITHOUT an R value., and only hearths 5” or less need an R value of 1. Interesting. So I may be off the hook for the micore, unless the floor is getting hotter than I like. Another curious point is The emission particulates are also nearly half of what it was 8 years ago.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc... Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc... Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc... Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

So here’s something screwy. I looked up the manual online to get you that information yesterday regarding the R value requirements. I did not pay attention to the date of publication, which was April of 2016. I was just skimming through the manual that came with the insert, and it states that hearths raised 5” or need ONLY a non combustible mat WITHOUT an R value., and only hearths 5” or less need an R value of 1. Interesting. So I may be off the hook for the micore, unless the floor is getting hotter than I like. Another curious point is The emission particulates are also nearly half of what it was 8 years ago.

View attachment 321515 View attachment 321516 View attachment 321517 View attachment 321518
This makes way more sense and is in line with my stove which is the 2019 version. My stove requires 4" raised hearth to get around the R value. Id monitor the floor temps anyways for a while to see what you think but your fire proof rug should be good enough to start. If you have a super nice floor the Micore still may be a good idea.

For the emissions yeah they cut them in half. Mine produces 4.4 gm/hr and the post 2020 models are all around 2.0 gm/hr give or take. I got a good discount on mine since it was the last 2019 they had in stock.

Nice find, That R1.2 requirement did feel pretty excessive with your setup.

Got 5 cords of hardwood coming for 400$. Oak, ash and maple. Unseasoned of course in log length. So that should give me at least 2 more years of fuel when seasoned, I have about 2.5-3 currently. I’ll start scrounging here and there as needed too 😁. Wont cost me a dime out of pocket, sold an old small Honda generator I hadn’t used in years (got it second hand super cheap, as in 100$ cheap a while back not running) and it paid for it all.

Got 5 cords of hardwood coming for 400$. Oak, ash and maple. Unseasoned of course in log length. So that should give me at least 2 more years of fuel when seasoned, I have about 2.5-3 currently. I’ll start scrounging here and there as needed too 😁
Oh my god where are you going to process all that. RIP your driveway. Also what kind of saw are you running?

I can show you exactly what 5 cords of hardwood looks like. For reference my driveway is 110' long and 2 cars wide. Good price on the wood for around here though. That's exactly what I paid for this load back in 2021.

1000000918.png
1000000920.png
Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc... Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Reactions: all night moe
Oh my god where are you going to process all that. RIP your driveway. Also what kind of saw are you running? I can show you exactly what 5 cords of hardwood looks like:

For reference my driveway is 110' long and 2 cars wide.

View attachment 321598View attachment 321601 View attachment 321599 View attachment 321600
Stihl MS261 with a 20” bar. I’m going to see if the guy can drop it with the grapple into the back yard. If not I have plenty of room in the front, and I’ll process it and move it a little at a time 🤣

Not going to happen in my drive way, it’s on a hill and is beat to chit.

Nice nice. MS 261 20" is the perfect saw for the job. I'd actually love to get one of those or a husky 550 xp mark II. Im loving how this went from crap she won't let me get a stove to 5 cords of logs in the front yard. 🥹

Hopefully the logs don't tear up the yard. That's why I do it in my driveway. My yard tends to be fairly soft when it's not frozen.

Reactions: Ashful and bigealta
Nice nice. MS 261 20" is the perfect saw for the job. I'd actually love to get one of those or a husky 550 xp mark II. Im loving how this went from crap she won't let me get a stove to 5 cords of logs in the front yard. 🥹

Hopefully the logs don't tear up the yard. That's why I do it in my driveway. My yard tends to be fairly soft when it's not frozen.

She don’t know it’s coming yet lmao. I got it for “free” 🤣

My yard is not in the greatest shape so not too concerned.

If you need refuge send me a text I'll buy you a beer lol.
I’m considering asking the guy to do a split load. He’d have to make 2 trips with he equipment any way. That way I could do 2.5 cords at a time. Process that, move it, and then drop the second load. I also asked for stuff between 12-20” diameter but max 24” and he said he could do that 🤞

Thanks for the offer I’ll be sure to let you know!!!

Starting to collect some pallets to stack the wood on.

IMG_9956.jpeg

Last edited:

And a side note, yes, that saw is great, I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

I’m considering asking the guy to do a split load. He’d have to make 2 trips with he equipment any way. That way I could do 2.5 cords at a time. Process that, move it, and then drop the second load. I also asked for stuff between 12-20” diameter but max 24” and he said he could do that 🤞

Thanks for the offer I’ll be sure to let you know!!!

Starting to collect some pallets to stack the wood on.

View attachment 321603
Good start, you're gonna need a lot more! I've had good luck getting them for free at my local hardware store, tractor supply, and lumber yard. I asked for permission then I would go over every week with the truck and take the good ones. I've gotten about 40 this way the last month or so.

In my experience buying multiple cords of logs at a time if you ask for a certain diameter you'll get it for the most part and probably get 1 or 2 big boys mixed in. Not worth complaining about you can just double cut them. I'm not sure about the 2 trips though. Id consider offering him like another $50 or $100 if you ask him that. Make it worth his while to say yes. Some guys won't want to bother delivering for only a half load due to time and or cost. I know the guy I use for big trucks will only deliver 5 cords at once. I have to use someone else to get 2 at a time.

Wish I had that machine to move these. I carried each one them back 100 ft to the storage area by hand:

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Good start, you're gonna need a lot more! I've had good luck getting them for free at my local hardware store, tractor supply, and lumber yard. I asked for permission then I would go over every week with the truck and take the good ones. I've gotten about 40 this way the last month or so.

In my experience buying multiple cords of logs at a time if you ask for a certain diameter you'll get it for the most part and probably get 1 or 2 big boys mixed in. Not worth complaining about you can just double cut them. I'm not sure about the 2 trips though. Id consider offering him like another $50 or $100 if you ask him that. Make it worth his while to say yes. Some guys won't want to bother delivering for only a half load due to time and or cost. I know the guy I use for big trucks will only deliver 5 cords at once. I have to use someone else to get 2 at a time.

Wish I had that machine to move these. I carried each one them back 100 ft to the storage area by hand:

View attachment 321604
We get them all the time at my work so I will have a somewhat steady supply of pallets. My brother in law also has a fairly steady supply of pallets at his job.

His trailer with the grapple only fits 2.5 cords at a time so he has to make 2 trips any way. He advertised it as 225$/load for 2.5 cords and I offered him 400$ for 2 loads and he accepted

IMG_9957.png

We get them all the time at my work so I will have a somewhat steady supply of pallets. My brother in law also has a fairly steady supply of pallets at his job.

His trailer with the grapple only fits 2.5 cords at a time so he has to make 2 trips any way. He advertised it as 225$/load for 2.5 cords and I offered him 400$ for 2 loads and he accepted

View attachment 321605
Oh awesome. That's pretty much how I get all my wood now, the guy has a trailer exactly like that. 2 cords at once is way more manageable than the big 5 cord drop. That's what I'm working on this weekend in the driveway. Its bucked and I'll be firing up the splitter.

Congrats man! This is the happiest thread going. Doom and gloom to wood riches 👍

Make friends with the guy. Keep him happy $$$ wise if the wood is good and he'll hopefully come back every year to replenish you.

Oh awesome. That's pretty much how I get all my wood now, the guy has a trailer exactly like that. 2 cords at once is way more manageable than the big 5 cord drop. That's what I'm working on this weekend in the driveway. Its bucked and I'll be firing up the splitter.

Congrats man! This is the happiest thread going. Doom and gloom to wood riches 👍

Make friends with the guy. Keep him happy $$$ wise if the wood is good and he'll hopefully come back every year to replenish you.
That’s my plan my friend! If the wood is as advertised I’ll be calling him again for sure. He and one other guy i was asking for a delivery but didn’t have the time to do that far out of his “area” have the best prices around. I’ll post some photos next week, getting delivery after new years.

Good luck with the new splitter looking forward to the photos!

That’s my plan my friend! If the wood is as advertised I’ll be calling him again for sure. He and one other guy i was asking for a delivery but didn’t have the time to do that far out of his “area” have the best prices around. I’ll post some photos next week, getting delivery after new years.

Good luck with the new splitter looking forward to the photos!
Yeah I've found most tree guys aren't going to go one inch out of their respective areas. They'll hook you up if it's convenient for them and worth their while. I can't blame them, it's good business. Just makes it hard for folks who want wood but are out of the way.

Oh there will be pictures in my thread tomorrow! Once the rain stops later in the day. This weather is ridiculous. If it were snow I could be processing but I'm not staying outside in 40 degree rain.

Yeah I've found most tree guys aren't going to go one inch out of their respective areas. They'll hook you up if it's convenient for them and worth their while. I can't blame them, it's good business. Just makes it hard for folks who want wood but are out of the way.

Oh there will be pictures in my thread tomorrow! Once the rain stops later in the day. This weather is ridiculous. If it were snow I could be processing but I'm not staying outside in 40 degree rain.
Nice 👍. I was fortunate enough to talk this guy out of Attleboro so I’m grateful for that. Other guy I couldn’t get to come down was from Cumberland he was 450$ delivered for 6 cords, but that was from a truck like the one in the photos you posted, but I’m happy with 400$ for 5 cords. Anything less than 100$/cord really around here is doing pretty good.

Nice 👍. I was fortunate enough to talk this guy out of Attleboro so I’m grateful for that. Other guy I couldn’t get to come down was from Cumberland he was 450$ delivered for 6 cords, but that was from a truck like the one in the photos you posted, but I’m happy with 400$ for 5 cords. Anything less than 100$/cord really around here is doing pretty good.
Agreed. I usually get a trailer like the one you posted for $100, about 2 to 2.5 cords but I consider myself to be very fortunate on that price. I just happen to be a mile away from a busy tree guy's wood lot. Like you said $100 a cord is fair and significant savings vs buying pre split green wood for $300. Plus we get to have the fun of processing it!