Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My hand splitting tools are the 8 lb maul, 6 lb sledge, 36" axe, 27" axe (for my wife), hatchet, 3 lb sledge, pickaroon, and various wedges.

View attachment 322053
Dang (as they say in Utah), i only have 1 beat to crap 45year old craftsman light 5 or maybe 6lb. maul, with electrical tape trying to hide the 1/2 way thru bashed wood handle.

Dang (as they say in Utah), i only have 1 beat to crap 45year old craftsman light 5 or maybe 6lb. maul, with electrical tape trying to hide the 1/2 way thru bashed wood handle.
If the eye of that 6 lb. Craftsman takes an axe handle rather than a sledge handle, then I believe I have the same one. Split many dozens of cords with it, and sharpened up and kept clean, it's a good tool.

I re-handled mine ca.2012, since the original was also starting to come apart after ~40 years.

If the eye of that 6 lb. Craftsman takes an axe handle rather than a sledge handle, then I believe I have the same one. Split many dozens of cords with it, and sharpened up and kept clean, it's a good tool.

I re-handled mine ca.2012, since the original was also starting to come apart after ~40 years.
Yes the Axe handle version, that's what makes it so good, the curved wood axe handle.

I've rehandled it many times.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah a cant hook is definitely my next purchase.

That should keep the wife happy. What's the splitting plan? How's your back? That's a lot to do in a day.

I'm heading outside to move wood as we speak.

I had to touch on this comment about my wife. What do you think is keeping her happy? Lol

She hasn’t even noticed the wood back there yet

Side note. Since I’ve been using the stove during the day only when I’m home (wife doesn’t want it running at night, at this point) I’ve cut my gas usage 66% on a daily basis with temps in the 30s or so during the day. Usually use 3-4 therms per day when it’s colder. I’ve used one since this time yesterday, including water heating.

Now off to cook dinner.

Last edited:
I had to touch on this comment about my wife. What do you think is keeping her happy? Lol
That you cut it up and have the yard all neat. It's so good she hasn't even noticed!

I'm also off to cook dinner. Bolognese tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: MRD1985

She hasn’t even noticed the wood back there yet

Side note. Since I’ve been using the stove during the day only when I’m home (wife doesn’t want it running at night, at this point) I’ve cut my gas usage 66% on a daily basis with temps in the 30s or so during the day. Usually use 3-4 therms per day when it’s colder. I’ve used one since this time yesterday, including water heating.

Now off to cook dinner.
Who pays the heat bill? If she does and notices it's much less how do u think that will go over?

You "I don't know, i guess that thing warms up the room a little bit sometimes?" "Is it really that different? must just be a messed up meter read."

And with that conjecture, i'm taking my wife out to dinner now.

Who pays the heat bill? If she does and notices it's much less how do u think that will go over?

You "I don't know, i guess that thing warms up the room a little bit sometimes?" "Is it really that different? must just be a messed up meter read."

And with that conjecture, i'm taking my wife out to dinner now.

We have a joint checking, and are on the “budget” plan where we pay the same every month throughout the year so we don’t end up with a 200-250$ bill in the winter months, so true “savings” won’t be seen unless I remove us from that plan.

I think im slowly making progress with her. She had been hanging out in the stove room with the kids prior to dinner, and then said “I have a chill”. I looked at the thermostat for the kitchen and it was 73 LOL. Never in my life have I seen her say this with those temps. We have always kept our thermostat at 64 ish. I asked her if she wanted me to throw more wood on she said no then it will be too hot. I said 2 pieces of wood will not make it too hot, it’s only when I load the stove up (which I have been doing to make sure all the paint is fully cured) it will get pretty warm in the stove room (all other rooms 68-73, which is great). So I just let it be with that and let it cool off for the night. Small victories.

Reactions: all night moe
That you cut it up and have the yard all neat. It's so good she hasn't even noticed!

I'm also off to cook dinner. Bolognese tonight.
Haha nope!!

Baked broccoli with garlic, cheese and lemon, bone in chicken breast with cavatappi and vodka sauce for me tonight 👌

We have a joint checking, and are on the “budget” plan where we pay the same every month throughout the year so we don’t end up with a 200-250$ bill in the winter months, so true “savings” won’t be seen unless I remove us from that plan.
Or, let it ride, and watch her surprise with next year's plan recalculation.

I think im slowly making progress with her. She had been hanging out in the stove room with the kids prior to dinner, and then said “I have a chill”. I looked at the thermostat for the kitchen and it was 73 LOL. Never in my life have I seen her say this with those temps. We have always kept our thermostat at 64 ish. I asked her if she wanted me to throw more wood on she said no then it will be too hot. I said 2 pieces of wood will not make it too hot, it’s only when I load the stove up (which I have been doing to make sure all the paint is fully cured) it will get pretty warm in the stove room (all other rooms 68-73, which is great). So I just let it be with that and let it cool off for the night. Small victories.
Stove is at 250 and I'm reloading it now for the night. It's 23 degrees outside and here are the inside temps. Pretty comfortable. The stove is in the living room and if we were mid burn it would be 78 in here but the rest would be similar proportionally. Dining room and kitchen are furthest away. "Bedroom" is our room and we keep the door mostly closed, open about 6", to let some heat in but sleep cooler.

My wife doesn't ask anymore she takes action and throws the wood in herself lol.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Stove is at 250 and I'm reloading it now for the night. It's 23 degrees outside and here are the inside temps. Pretty comfortable. The stove is in the living room and if we were mid burn it would be 78 in here but the rest would be similar proportionally. Dining room and kitchen are furthest away. "Bedroom" is our room and we keep the door mostly closed, open about 6", to let some heat in but sleep cooler.

My wife doesn't ask anymore she takes action and throws the wood in herself lol.

View attachment 322079
Sounds about what my house is mid burn. It will stay warm for a while after it cools down. I started the fire around 830am and maybe reloaded around 1230 and then didn’t add any more wood. My boiler didn’t kick on until after 9pm.

Not that it matters too much, but they won’t recalculate it until after winter at earliest
Yep. I was on a similar plan for oil delivery my first year or two after moving out of my parent's home in my early 20's. It would be re-calculated each summer, in preparation for the next heating season. How you handle this should be dictated by the terms in the contract that deal with over-payment.

If I can remember back that far, I think my company would hold it as a credit, and amortize it into the following year's payment schedule. In other words, if I overpaid by $300 this year, I think they'd take that and apply it as a $25/month credit to the following year's schedule.

My boiler didn’t kick on until after 9pm.
Mine never does! Technically because I don't own one lol but the backup heat hasn't come on once yet this year. It only will if it's below 10 for 24+ hours in a row or I get super lazy.

I'm actually looking forward to hearing about how much your wife loves the feeling and savings of wood in the future.

Yep. I was on a similar plan for oil delivery my first year or two after moving out of my parent's home in my early 20's. It would be re-calculated each summer, in preparation for the next heating season. How you handle this should be dictated by the terms in the contract that deal with over-payment.

If I can remember back that far, I think my company would hold it as a credit, and amortize it into the following year's payment schedule. In other words, if I overpaid by $300 this year, I think they'd take that and apply it as a $25/month credit to the following year's schedule.
I carried as much as a 275$ credit toward the end of the summer

Mine never does! Technically because I don't own one lol but the backup heat hasn't come on once yet this year. It only will if it's below 10 for 24+ hours in a row or I get super lazy.

I'm actually looking forward to hearing about how much your wife loves the feeling and savings of wood in the future.

I would rather be using the heat pump honestly right now due to the boiler flue condition. I had it inspected just to be sure I saw what I saw a there are holes all the way up and down the flue. But she says we’re not fixing it right now. Just have to rely on the CO detector 😳. I have already established a liner needed for both appliances is going to be worth more than a replacement boiler (same type, not a mod/con). I’d just rather X the boiler off and put a liner in for 500$ or less for the water heater but that’s just me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah. I have lived with all the major heat types around here: oil, gas, heat pumps, and wood stoves over the course of my adult life. I am convinced the under ideal conditions the best system for Southern New England is a wood stove, heat pump, and solar array. We get so many 45 degree days it's perfect.

Ideal conditions being a floor plan that allows for great circulation (ranches can be tough), a proper facing in good shape roof, a place to store the wood, and the time/physical ability to do the work. You also need the tools and know how but I'm talking about the long game here. If you have all that it basically runs itself all you have to do is reload the stove and then have some fun processing wood a few times a year. My solar pays for itself, I keep the house whatever temp I want (we like it around 70 like I said earlier in the thread), and it hardly costs me anything.

Yeah. I have lived with all the major heat types around here: oil, gas, heat pumps, and wood stoves over the course of my adult life. I am convinced the under ideal conditions the best system for Southern New England is a wood stove, heat pump, and solar array. We get so many 45 degree days it's perfect.

Ideal conditions being a floor plan that allows for great circulation (ranches can be tough), a proper facing in good shape roof, a place to store the wood, and the time/physical ability to do the work. You also need the tools and know how but I'm talking about the long game here. If you have all that it basically runs itself all you have to do is reload the stove and then have some fun processing wood a few times a year. My solar pays for itself, I keep the house whatever temp I want (we like it around 70 like I said earlier in the thread), and it hardly costs me anything.

I’ll agree with you on all points. The house has a 22.5* pitch roof so very low. Winter production for solar is tough for me because of trees and roof pitch but still pays for itself throughout the year from the production from March to September. I’m fortunate enough the heat reaches all corners of the house very well, even without fans. I have a good size ranch with open floorplan and cathedral ceilings in main living area.

try the bun warming technique,when stoves warm let her warm her buns when she feels a chill.works for my cranky ol a.. ,wife
Same here. My wife spends a lot of time with her back side 12 inches from the stove in the evenings, while doing whatever she does on her phone... probably posting complaints about me. ;lol

1 week of use update. Have had fires pretty much every day I’ve been home. I love this thing. Really nothing about it I don’t like.

My wife is still sticking to her guns that she does not want to heat the house with it. She says she’s getting nervous because I’m doing what she didn’t want me to do and doesn’t trust me with it yet (to do what she wants to do with it, which is “pleasure with family time”). “Why are you having fires by yourself if we bought this for family time enjoyment only” is the question I’m asked, and I don’t really have a good answer (or at least the one she wants).

She, however, does seem like her body is liking the warmer temps in the house whether she admits it or not. She feels like upper 60s temp is chilly now.

Not sure how to proceed on convincing her this is great. She’s stubborn as a mule.

Not going to have a fire tomorrow during the day at her insistence. 😢

You need to stop using it so much. You're playing right into her hands and giving her ammo. Just lay off the fires for a bit and have them when you agreed to have them...but also don't turn the heat up. Say you want to save money and that you're doing what she asked. Throw a sweatshirt and blanket on if you're cold honey. If you want it warmer there's a solution right here. It's not heating the house it's supplemental to the oil which will remain at 62 to save money.

My wife grew up in a 62 during the day, 58 at night house. 65 was for guests only. It's the damn arctic over there even to this day. So, we lived similarly when we were younger. Then we were a one income house for a quite a while and we kept it up not wanting to pay for oil. When we bought this place I was adamant I was done with that lifestyle. She wasn't sure about the stove and that first year processing 10 cords she thought I was insane but she trust me. I knew I could count on a few of her qualities: her strong work ethic, love of being warm, and love of frugality. She's now a full convert and will light a fire when she's home alone if it's below 68 in here and will work on the 78 degree stove room. We love having no heating bill and the ability to do whatever we want temp wise since the work is already done. Tbh splitting is also a fun family activity.

Now your situation is different. My wife is extremely stubborn when she wants to be but I knew this would work because it checked so many boxes for her. You're up against a tougher challenge. You aren't going to win her over in a week. You need to play the long game.

To this day when I tell people I spend about $500 a year to heat my house in MA their jaw hits the floor. Sure it's a lot of my blood, sweat, and tears but those are free. And it's fun. My neighbor spends more than that per month!

Edit - the $500 a year is $200 for wood, $200 for a sweep, and $100 for fuel to process and maintain tools. I don't count the initial investment in the stove/tools because I would have had to spend that much or more on a furnace as this house didn't come with one. I think that's a reasonable assessment.