No Matter How Many Decades I Have Been Doing This...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
When I switched from E/W loads to a packed N/S load tonight I get reminded what it is like to try to throw a saddle on a running horse. :rolleyes:

Strong winds? About 90% of the time we are doing full loads N/S.

When I switched from E/W loads to a packed N/S load tonight I get reminded what it is like to try to throw a saddle on a running horse. :rolleyes:
You could try stuffing a couple balls of tin foil up his nose.... ;)

I just can't imagine loading the nc30 e/w. It's a deep box. You would be in past your elbow so set that rear split. Only to be rewarded by an inferior burn.

No Matter How Many Decades I Have Been Doing This... BB's arm after loading EW

I still have no idea what the 1st post meant.
He's talking about how the stove burns much harder at the same air settings than when he normally loads E-W, his stoves design has a "doghouse" which flumes the air right down the middle of the load when loaded N-S

Interesting. So now E/W is not preferred for overnight burns? I like N/S as its easier for me

depending on the split size I more than prefer burning e-w in my stove, if I collect a bunch of shorty's then I'll load a N-S, I come from the beliefs that once you get the fire box hot all wood will burn depending how much air it has.

Some stoves you can't burn N/S unless you use ridiculously short pieces. My stove can only be loaded E/W.

Metalsped: how long of a split can you load into your Rangeley E/W versus N/S?

Im loading E/W now only out of necessity as my old stove took longer wood which I am using up right now. Much easier to fill N/S, looking forward to getting into the shorter wood in about two weeks!

Last year when I started experimenting with E/W, had always burned N/S, I bought a pair of fireplace gloves that come up to my shoulders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
I like that our FP30 gives me the option of burning either E/W or N/S with 16" splits. Allows me to burn according to needs/conditions.

Last edited:
I find with my NC30, I cannot load as long of a split in an E/W direction. An 18 inch stick comes right to the edge of the ash lip. I can't get the same split to fit E/W. I'm all about reducing cuts. As a bonus, my dad's stove also takes 18 inch sticks, so we don't have to differientiate our woodpiles (and I can steal some of his wood because it's seasoned better).

As to the OP, I've found that, with my setup, with temps in the teens, I need to be ready to turn the key damper after a full load. Even with the primary completely closed, I would regularly pass 750 stove top temp a little bit after a reload.

With temps as they are in the 20's, it's a little more mild mannered

Last year when I started experimenting with E/W, had always burned N/S, I bought a pair of fireplace gloves that come up to my shoulders.

View attachment 190892
I have a a pair like that too, sometimes i need them even loading my insert n/w because the coals can be so darn hot. Sometimes ni place one piece e/w in front of them to shield my arm from the heat!

In the 90's a guy I worked with sure could have benefited from a pair of them. He bought a house with a barrel stove in the basement. One night he was reaching in far to juggle splits deep in it. Got stuck in the little hot cast iron door frame and it put him in the emergency room. Both arms charred bad.

I have had this problem too.

Try switching to beer until the room is spinning at about half that speed, and give it another go.

we have a pretty deep firebox, can load 18 inch splits N/S no problem, 20's scare me and the glass.. But I almost always load E/W. I wear long welders gloves. MY fear is pitching forward and getting my forehead on the cast iron framework..

Reactions: BrotherBart
I hate to confess this. But I have been loading gloveless for years. Knock on wood the past few years I have even made it through the heating season with no burns. Can't say it's always been this way. This is not an endorsement, just the way I roll.

Gloves on, every time I open the door with a fire inside of the stove.

Words to live by. Ask me how I know this :mad:

Reactions: rowerwet
Yes, I have the scars to prove it, but they have also taught me to slow down and be very careful.

I hate to confess this. But I have been loading gloveless for years. Knock on wood the past few years I have even made it through the heating season with no burns. Can't say it's always been this way. This is not an endorsement, just the way I roll.

I tried going without but have 4 or 5 good burns on my left forearm from reaching in to get the wood to the far end of the firebox in my beast as it's side loading and the air inlet comes up on the loading side. So now it's gloves and long sleeves every time, otherwise I can't get the placement I want without another burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.