• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
IMG_7198.JPG

Modified this Troybuilt

IMG_7200.JPG

Removeable 4way
IMG_7201.JPG

Sold this one on Craigslist last week- ordered a Super Split HD at the same
time- shipping to Alaska is a bit crazy but I figure a person who uses there hands should have tools they are happy with.

It ships my way next week- cant wait

That is some 4 way wedge you have there. Is that wedge homemade? Please send us a photo, or movie of your splitter in action.

That is some 4 way wedge you have there. Is that wedge homemade? Please send us a photo, or movie of your splitter in action.

It is home made
Sold it last week; sorry no video

Waiting on new Super Spil HD to be delivered

Reactions: VirginiaIron
It is home made

Wings for 4 way are lower and not center as the wood I split this works much better. Big wood for me is 16" - if I see 2' on a stump its a big tree

It is home made

That's OK - video of the new splitter will work.

I found this photo of the design and condition of the log splitter before I received it. I think this might bring some of you hope in what might be possible with your older splitter. For me, it is quite the change.

I think daddy thought splitters should look fast and I am not sure what influence the children had on this splitter design.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_4762.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 465
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Tow hitch complete
Love this thing
QUIET and fast:)

Havn fun now

Attachments

• IMG_7432.JPG
    IMG_7432.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 371
I use a couple of electric log splitters as what I have here is 99% softwood. I was having a lot of trouble moving one of them with the original splitter stand the unit came with. Bought one these dollys at a Harbour Freight kind of place, used a few tie downs and moving the splitter is a breeze now.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 304
my place was a fruit farm, old trees are crotchy and tough. bunch of ash i cut what ever is looking like its near my quad trails or fallen down, all super tough. why i ended up with the big honda and its got a real big cylinder. even then it bogs a little on some of the big cherry. ended up putting wings on the blade part, about 3inches back and wide. so i dont have to fight the strings as much

my place was a fruit farm, old trees are crotchy and tough. bunch of ash i cut what ever is looking like its near my quad trails or fallen down, all super tough. why i ended up with the big honda and its got a real big cylinder. even then it bogs a little on some of the big cherry. ended up putting wings on the blade part, about 3inches back and wide. so i dont have to fight the strings as much
Nice. Any pictures or videos?

it doesnt look like much but i only have a couple hundred into it, and it works excellent for the crap wood i have

dont have it online anymore i had photo bucket but not going to pay what they want to use it, still have to find somewhere to upload too

20150617_135934.jpg
20150617_135934.jpg" alt="20150617_135934" border="0">

holds enough oil to keep plenty cool

There is nothing wrong with good old American ingenuity. At least your wheels aren't flat. I was dragging the carcass of my splitter around for years. I remember going to a friends house to split some wood for him. The hitch on the splitter was a clevis type, the tires flat, and it was so low to the ground. The splitter wasn't road worthy so I winched it onto my trailer. My friend must have been horrified when I pulled up in his drive and he saw my splitter, he had to use his truck to pull the splitter off the trailer and over to the staging area. My splitter ran well and we split all of his wood that day.

View attachment 196265 Here is mine...A Oak Series made by ALLWOOD in Milan, Michigan. A true 28 ton splitter with a hydraulic log lift and hydraulic wedge lift.It also sports a disappearing splitting wedge and a recessed push plate that allows for a complete split each time.This is all powered by a 13hp Honda.It also has heavy duty torsion axels that are meant to be run on the road..I ran it 70 mph all the way back from Michigan. I also have a 6-way wedge for it but only run it when I get into a uniform run of logs.4 of us knocked 6 cord of Ash with it in a days time.View attachment 196263View attachment 196264
Wow, that’s a awesome splitter!

Here is my little 5 ton electric splitter.
Got it on CL for $65 bucks.:cool:
Needed some TlC but I was able to get it working.
For it's size it works very well, splits most of the rounds I have.
View attachment 196368 View attachment 196369
I had one similar to yours for a few years and it did pretty good on most of the wood I split but then I found a good deal on a 22 ton splitter at Menards and sold mine on CL for.... $65 lol, in Wisconsin though.

Last edited:
mines not road worthy either, made from an old harvester frame. all that really matters is not having to do it by hand

Lol if you look at the tags at the top of the first page on this thread it says, how do you spit...? Well I can tell you right now that I don’t spit a lot but if I do I spit downwards to the ground....lol and there’s also a tag that says, spitter! Well like I said I really don’t spit much, but once again if I do I never spit up into the breeze cuz it might fly right back at me and I really hate that when that happens! JFYI.... :)

Lol, I asked to correct those but I do not have the permissions. Very funny, thanks for sharing

Reactions: WiscWoody
There was a similar thread here years ago, here's my old beater, again.
DSCN3794.JPG
DSCN3791.JPG

I "cobbed" this together over 35 years ago and am waiting for a catastrophic failure so that I can build a new one, been waiting for a while now;). I used to have to travel for wood and the big toolbox was great for fuel. saws, etc. It's not super fast & I don't have any monster rounds to split but it does pivot to vertical for them. Working height horiz is about 3', and that's a much better posture for me. You can't jockey it around by hand but I have diesel powered helpers for that. ;lol

Nice splitter, thanks for sharing. Mine also is a little heavy to jockey by hand when on unleveled ground. I am considering a front wheel on the stand

There was a similar thread here years ago, here's my old beater, again.View attachment 201932 View attachment 201933

I "cobbed" this together over 35 years ago and am waiting for a catastrophic failure so that I can build a new one, been waiting for a while now;). I used to have to travel for wood and the big toolbox was great for fuel. saws, etc. It's not super fast & I don't have any monster rounds to split but it does pivot to vertical for them. Working height horiz is about 3', and that's a much better posture for me. You can't jockey it around by hand but I have diesel powered helpers for that. ;lol
I bet your splitter has seen lots of wood over a 35 year service period! Is that a leg operated hydraulic valve on it? Cool!