• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
alot of cool stuff, hoop takes care of getting unstuck, table(last thing i really want to do). tool box is pretty good idea too

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I bet your splitter has seen lots of wood over a 35 year service period! Is that a leg operated hydraulic valve on it? Cool!
Up until about 8 years ago I just used my leg on the "normal" valve handle, until I thought about a hospital type sink thingie.:cool:

The pump and motor are just fine, the cyl could be bigger and the beam flex's regularly but keeps coming back for more. It's only a typical 8"- 18#/ft. house beam left on the job and I really want to build another as my welding & tools are much better now, but we go back a long way and many hours.

I took some updated pics.
7wEXD9L.jpg
Bfy1lgP.jpg
kfq3fZg.jpg
I took the cover off of the engine ... and it was nice to see a whole gas tank ... no nibbling was found ..
Oh ya the tank is metal ! >>

Looks good. The paint job makes it seem like a piece of military equipment designed to blend in with the background.

Is that a B&S Vangaurd engine?
At one time I thought the vangard was the B&S answer to aluminum blocks and bronze bushings when they changed to a cast iron sleeve and roller bearings at the crank. This model has them both with a two year warranty

Lucky you. You have help that rolls up his sleaves and gets right in there. My help just barks out orders. There is nothing wrong with a store bought splitter. The manufacturer usually spends qui t e a lot in R&D and designs the system right. Nice help and splitter.

Last edited:
There was a similar thread here years ago, here's my old beater, again.View attachment 201932 View attachment 201933

I "cobbed" this together over 35 years ago and am waiting for a catastrophic failure so that I can build a new one, been waiting for a while now;). I used to have to travel for wood and the big toolbox was great for fuel. saws, etc. It's not super fast & I don't have any monster rounds to split but it does pivot to vertical for them. Working height horiz is about 3', and that's a much better posture for me. You can't jockey it around by hand but I have diesel powered helpers for that. ;lol

Got a video of your splitter running and splitting?

OK ..... Why a Video ... it splits wood .. You have seen that before ..;)
As to engine .... This is the engine that came with the splitter ..
CIGoRhT.jpg
I was told it had a crack in the block ...ok if you check the oil ... Oooops ....;hm
The new and improved engine .. running synthetic oil ..==c
d5CAORm.jpg
It starts better and splitter works .. just like before .. ==c

Last edited by a moderator:
OK ..... Why a Video ... it splits wood .. You have seen that before ..;)
....==c
It is a splitter and it is something many of us have seen before- agreed. It is just something to watch from someone on the forum I have had some interaction with- sort of family like- rather than watching some stranger on line. It is like- oh yeah, that what he is talking about.

I am sure we all have better things to do than make and watch videos, sorry.

Edit- I know the post says "picture", thanks for participating.

Got a video of your splitter running and splitting?

I'm not sure I know how to do that, and I refuse to own a "smart phone" !!!. Not much to see really.
imgres-1.jpg

If it's not broke don't fix it !
Ya I'm still using this !
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfU0AcuEFqsAXy7rPy-sivuYSNlnRLHeOKPPdFI6V5CU-htgDi2kspSIk.jpg
F*%k texting....>>

If it's not broke don't fix it !
Ya I'm still using this !
View attachment 215347 F*%k texting....>>

I had "nextel" when texting was coming out, (so did every supplier, driver and other contractor & their men on the "job") had a salesman that started texting me, I told him, "Chris, why would I type into this thing I can just speak into? I heard the govt. wanted that freq. back as it was good penetrating buildings. That was the end of Nextel and (imho) texting became the replacement for the quick, direct push to talk.

Hello gentlemen,

I just bought a bachtold bros inc model TRG-26. It works great but id like the change the filters and fluids.

How do you professions acquire these older manuals??

Attachments

• IMG_0290.PNG
    IMG_0290.PNG
    911.9 KB · Views: 231
There are only a few models of hydro line filters for log splitters that I routinely see today, so hopefully one of them will soon into that old machine. The specs or manual for the rest can be obtained from the engine manufacturer, whether that be Briggs, Kohler, or other.

This was given to me by friends dad. He purchased new 1985 due to hurricane Gloria! He downsized and offered it up, the original techumpseh stoped after it finished burning all its oil. Replaced with harbor freight 100$ engine. My daughter refers to it as the family log splitter. Works great
D4AA789D-F673-41A9-8769-F09FE26AB691.jpeg

Used one identical to that in the mid/late 80’s. Never knew the brand, didn’t pay attention to stuff like that, back then.

I recently picked this one up as salvage. Old-time engine didnt run, and starter (lamp cord) was broke. Someone put some time into it by the looks of the paint job. Flywheel timing was off, carb wasn't assembled correctly, rod seal was leaking badly. The 5" piston doesnt run the full stroke. Starts on first/second pull, runs well and slower than i like.

Attachments

• 20190611_200941.jpg
    20190611_200941.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 20190611_200916.jpg
    20190611_200916.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy