• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nah, probably won't be getting to that, Virginia. That sounds like work, and I hang out here for the express purpose of avoiding work. ;-)

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Nah, probably won't be getting to that, Virginia. That sounds like work, and I hang out here for the express purpose of avoiding work. ;-)
No problem, I was just excited for you and hoping to see the superfast splitter you were building. I'm definitely going to consider speed on my next project. I ended up splitting some wood yesterday and making a little bit of a video Too. I can't wait till it gets cooler so I can go out in the woods without the threat of the dreaded copperhead- it's not deadly but one might change my life for a month or two.

Truth be told, that project has been held up about six weeks on account of one stupid $23 throttle assembly, on order with Briggs since early May. It's been a point of some frustration, but there are so many other projects this time of year that I've been staying busy.

Here's my beast. He's a homemade (made it myself as my first and to date only welding project) fella that will split just about anything I put in him. As you can see I only hire the best little Scottish gremlins to work the lever for me!

One problem though, i need to reinforce the blade somehow. i keep breaking it off and bending the beam. I'm fixing it again this week after tearing it off again today on some wet red oak. Click for bigger images.

View attachment 197730

GadDummit..., Did you get your wedge fixed?

Truth be told, that project has been held up about six weeks on account of one stupid $23 throttle assembly, on order with Briggs since early May. It's been a point of some frustration, but there are so many other projects this time of year that I've been staying busy.

Keep us posted. Mine is officially road worthy. I got some chains (will replace the temporary ones) and a SMV sign. My splitter is pretty balanced but I was concerned about the low tongue weight and fishtailing, so I pulled it behind a CrownVic and I was quite surprised at how well it towed. I will add a log stop and a small removable platform on the other side.

IMG_4759c.jpg

Reactions: gregbesia
Throttle arriving today! Of course, now it's in the low 90F's.

I picked up a new log splitter a couple weeks ago and it's making quick work of all the downed trees from last winter's ice storm:

20170612_144155.jpg

20170611_172005 (2017_06_12 12_57_20 UTC).jpg

This is a load of mature Douglas Fir, a bit of Spruce, some rock hard and gnarled Maple and some Garry Oak (which was a surprising find).

My new splitter didn't come with an engine so I hooked it up to an old (1960's vintage) double lung rig that was sitting around under-utilized. It's set up to run on bio-fuel so is quite enviro-friendly, surprisingly quiet and no real exhaust odor to speak of. When I'm in the fresh out of doors I want to hear the chirping birds and breath the clean air, not the angry roar and stinky smells of a gasoline engine. Bio-fuel is the way to go! I would be surprised if it puts out 2 peak hp but it gets the job done quickly due to the efficiency of the splitter. It pumps about 4 gpm at full tilt and makes quick work of even the sun dried Maple. At peak production I can get the cycle time to under 2 seconds but at that speed I'm working up a real sweat so I tend to slow her down a bit. It's by far the best splitter I've ever had the pleasure of using. The best thing about this splitter (besides it's fast splitting, quietness and obvious health benefits) is it's exceptional lightness. That makes it easy to move the splitter to the round needing splitting rather than having to heave heavy, wet rounds to the splitter. It splits them right where they lay. Photos of my new splitter (sitting next to my old one) below.

Oh, while sawing up a mess of tangled downed limbs and trunks, I noticed something at the bottom of the pile and thought to myself, "Hey, that's not a branch!" and carefully retrieved it. She's a real beauty:

20170610_222218.jpg

Seeing how my new splitter didn't come with an engine, I picked her up for only $50 so that's just the frosting on the cake! ==c

20170612_144028.jpg

GadDummit..., Did you get your wedge fixed?

You know, being a new member here I wasn't sure anyone would notice if I posted an update. You just made my day.

So I did get the wedge welded back on. I ran a few extra beads on the base too to make sure it was very secure. The seam is about the size of your thumb now. I ended up cutting the beam up too at every bend and welding it back together to get it straightened out, mostly. I really wish I had known what i was doing when i bought the beam and had gotten a thicker one. I could barely lift this one though so maybe I should just be happy. I tried heating it up and banging it with a 3 lb sledge to get the bends out, but there ain't enough boy in these britches to get it to move. It just made a lot of noise and annoyed the neighbors :rolleyes:

No pics yet (I know, I'm sorry!) but after looking at all these pyro-fessional splitters I decided to:
  • beef up my pusher a little
  • add a battery holder for the electric start battery
  • add a pedestal to the front that I can fold down/up so the first log doesn't need to go under the splitter tongue
  • add supports to the side of the beam where it collapsed on me on that wet oak and maple
  • sharpen the wedge up more so it cuts easier
  • add a cupholder ;lol
You guys are bad for my welding bill, haha! Like I said, I got the wedge back on and welded up (with my ugly welds) and I've got all the metal cut for the supports etc. I just need to weld it all back on. It's been 93-96::F the past few days with a heat index of over 100 so I've been a little unmotivated to go weld in the heat. I'll probably get out there Friday morning and get started. And I will take pics, you just have to forgive my nasty welding.

You know, being a new member here I wasn't sure anyone would notice if I posted an update. You just made my day.

So I did get the wedge welded back on. I ran a few extra beads on the base too to make sure it was very secure. The seam is about the size of your thumb now. I ended up cutting the beam up too at every bend and welding it back together to get it straightened out, mostly. I really wish I had known what i was doing when i bought the beam and had gotten a thicker one. I could barely lift this one though so maybe I should just be happy. I tried heating it up and banging it with a 3 lb sledge to get the bends out, but there ain't enough boy in these britches to get it to move. It just made a lot of noise and annoyed the neighbors :rolleyes:

No pics yet (I know, I'm sorry!) but after looking at all these pyro-fessional splitters I decided to:
  • beef up my pusher a little
  • add a battery holder for the electric start battery
  • add a pedestal to the front that I can fold down/up so the first log doesn't need to go under the splitter tongue
  • add supports to the side of the beam where it collapsed on me on that wet oak and maple
  • sharpen the wedge up more so it cuts easier
  • add a cupholder ;lol
You guys are bad for my welding bill, haha! Like I said, I got the wedge back on and welded up (with my ugly welds) and I've got all the metal cut for the supports etc. I just need to weld it all back on. It's been 93-96::F the past few days with a heat index of over 100 so I've been a little unmotivated to go weld in the heat. I'll probably get out there Friday morning and get started. And I will take pics, you just have to forgive my nasty welding.
I think there are a lot of people interested in your posting. I keep my rods inside the house with the heat and air conditioning now because when I kept the rods in the garage the rods would get damp and it would be very difficult to weld and my beads looked much worse. So if you have old rods bring them inside for about a week before you weld, some welders put them in the oven and bake them for a while before they use them- there's information online about drying out rods. A dry or fresh rod may be all that you need.

I picked up a new log splitter a couple weeks ago and it's making quick work of all the downed trees from last winter's ice storm:

View attachment 198042

View attachment 198043

This is a load of mature Douglas Fir, a bit of Spruce, some rock hard and gnarled Maple and some Garry Oak (which was a surprising find).

My new splitter didn't come with an engine so I hooked it up to an old (1960's vintage) double lung rig that was sitting around under-utilized. It's set up to run on bio-fuel so is quite enviro-friendly, surprisingly quiet and no real exhaust odor to speak of. When I'm in the fresh out of doors I want to hear the chirping birds and breath the clean air, not the angry roar and stinky smells of a gasoline engine. Bio-fuel is the way to go! I would be surprised if it puts out 2 peak hp but it gets the job done quickly due to the efficiency of the splitter. It pumps about 4 gpm at full tilt and makes quick work of even the sun dried Maple. At peak production I can get the cycle time to under 2 seconds but at that speed I'm working up a real sweat so I tend to slow her down a bit. It's by far the best splitter I've ever had the pleasure of using. The best thing about this splitter (besides it's fast splitting, quietness and obvious health benefits) is it's exceptional lightness. That makes it easy to move the splitter to the round needing splitting rather than having to heave heavy, wet rounds to the splitter. It splits them right where they lay. Photos of my new splitter (sitting next to my old one) below.

Oh, while sawing up a mess of tangled downed limbs and trunks, I noticed something at the bottom of the pile and thought to myself, "Hey, that's not a branch!" and carefully retrieved it. She's a real beauty:

View attachment 198044

Seeing how my new splitter didn't come with an engine, I picked her up for only $50 so that's just the frosting on the cake! ==c

View attachment 198045
LOL. You had me going. I was actually thinking about this quiet and tiny splitter that you had and I had to have one as well. I do have several of those but they don't work anymore, Lol

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I think there are a lot of people interested in your posting. I keep my rods inside the house with the heat and air conditioning now because when I kept the rods in the garage the rods would get damp and it would be very difficult to weld and my beads looked much worse. So if you have old rods bring them inside for about a week before you weld, some welders put them in the oven and bake them for a while before they use them- there's information online about drying out rods. A dry or fresh rod may be all that you need.

Haha, That's a great idea but I don't think a dry rod will fix my problems. I'm just a bird terder. I tend to go too fast, then too slow, then i'll blow through my metal, then I have to weld up the holes, then grind, grind, grind. The guy that taught me to weld said you can choose to be a good welder, or you can choose to be a good grinder. You don't have to be both. I think by default I chose the wrong one.

I got the under-the-blade supports on today and the supports for my pusher. It got to 100 degrees (heat index 106) and I decided to go back inside. I sound like a yankee, i know. Too much soup, my grandpa would say.

Anyway, I'm running out of scrap metal to put on it. I need a 8-10" square to put on the foot, then I'd like to put some wings around the blade to catch the runoff so it doesn't smash my toes anymore. And I'm not sure how to work the cupholder. I usually drink DP bottles and the kids drink Gatorade so maybe just a sleeve style rack would be good. I'll ponder it and try to schedule a run to the scrap yard this afternoon for more "treasures". Heh!

LOL. You had me going. I was actually thinking about this quiet and tiny splitter that you had and I had to have one as well. I do have several of those but they don't work anymore, Lol

He got me too! Then BAM, it's an axe. I laughed out loud and made the wife look at me suspiciously. _g

Last edited:
You will be fine turning the angle iron up as it would act as side wings. I am going to to try the side wings before I do anything else.I just saw where you already had it welded up...some flat stock would work to make those wings.
One vote for installing side wings on a log-lift-table. I used flat bar and it acts as a channel to funnel the round to the beam. Also, if a split round falls on the table/lift, it seems to grip it somewhat rather than slide down. I like the ultra smooth surface because the rounds seem to roll easier. I should have widened my log lift table a couple more inches but that would have necessitated moving my stand- I think I was short sighted on this.

I got the supports in and painted. There's now two sections of 4x2 square tubing on each side. I had to put him back to work so I didn't get to the wings and cupholder, but he's quite a bit sturdier now. I also sharpened the blade up nice. The only problem is I used to grab the blade and the tongue to move it around. Now I end up with sliced fingers if I try that!

?dm=4QWB.jpg

I got the supports in and painted. There's now two sections of 4x2 square tubing on each side. I had to put him back to work so I didn't get to the wings and cupholder, but he's quite a bit sturdier now. I also sharpened the blade up nice. The only problem is I used to grab the blade and the tongue to move it around. Now I end up with sliced fingers if I try that!

View attachment 198144
Nice...! My wedge isn't razor sharp, but I am pretty good with a file or a grinder; so my wedge is fairly sharp and I(me) think(s) a sharp wedge helps split the wood- especially if you need to go across the grain. EDIT: Now is the time to put a handle or tongue on the unit. (I could not see in my browser that you already had a tongue on it)

Last edited:
Nice...! My wedge isn't razor sharp, but I am pretty good with a file or a grinder; so my wedge is fairly sharp and I(me) think(s) a sharp wedge helps split the wood- especially if you need to go across the grain. EDIT: Now is the time to put a handle or tongue on the unit.

Oh yeah, it splits alot better now. A handle would be a very good idea. I'm all out of scrap, but I might find a tie-rod end I can use.

Some pics of the un-bending of my beam.

I cut the whole bent portion off with an oxy/acet torch.

?dm=HQP8.jpg

I cut the metal at each bend after that. Like i said, i tried to bend it with a hammer but it wasn't budging. So like a folded piece of paper, I "tore" it at each crease. That left me with tiny pieces of heavy paper!

?dm=44DE.jpg

Then i cut the blade off the remaining piece and cut it in half at the bend too.

?dm=YFDA.jpg

Here's the last pic of the progress. Puzzle piecing it back together took forever with my poor welding skills.

?dm=QGPM.jpg

That's it. I hope it lasts a good long time :)

I added a log stop this weekend. I forgot this accessory and decided to get it installed sooner than later. I do not know when tragedy will strike.

IMG_4793 (2).JPG IMG_4796.JPG

You got a heck of a piece of iron now! Looks good!
Thanks Lloyd! I was observing the original photo I posted on this thread and I cannot believe the transition. I am looking forward to really trying it out this fall. Thanks.

Thats what I am going to do with mine as well...here is a pic of the recessed push plate.This allows you to set your split closer than you normally can and allows a complete split of the piece.

View attachment 196299
When I R&R'd the plate, circa 2012, I placed it so the wedge just touched it and the wood was completely cut, if necessary. With my new design, the blade of the wedge is further from the plate, due to the pilot or cow catcher and the real stringy rounds must be man handled. I am thinking of adding an angle or a strip of steel in the center of the plate and above the pilot to put the center of the round in compression and almost touching the blade of the wedge and keeping the outer edges in less compression. This is opposed to most of the round remaining in compression due to the width of the plate.

Last edited:
i can't wait to go give the splitter a workout tonight :)

I successfully managed to run every single gas appliance I had out of gas last night...

I ran the chainsaw until it ran out of gas (3 minutes).

Then I ran the splitter until it ran out of gas (only 10 more minutes and I would have gotten through the pile)

Then I ran the walk behind string trimmer/brush cutter to cut the back yard until that ran out of gas...

then i ran the weed whacker until that ran out of gas...
20170628_203036.jpg

Good thing fuel is cheep now! I did that the other day. Had a crew set up to go cut wood and had everything but gas. Luckily I had about a half gallon and that got us by just barely. But you would think that would have been top on my list

Good thing fuel is cheep now! I did that the other day. Had a crew set up to go cut wood and had everything but gas. Luckily I had about a half gallon and that got us by just barely. But you would think that would have been top on my list
i've been trying to get through the 5 gallon tank so I could start fresh! its tough to have a few hours to get to all this stuff when the kids are around, but they are at the grandparents for a few weeks, so I get to play hard :)