Killing our planet with plastics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As a counterpoint I would say that industries (oil, plastics, cigarettes, chem giants, mining, etc.) and their paid disinformation media have a decades-long history of dismissing and burying scientific conclusions every time new evidence is discovered, and it's in the courts that they're proven wrong more often than in the right.

Last edited:
Around here, it’s mostly the Whole Foods crowd, that you see going that route. For me, the biggest hurtle would be keeping a set of bags in each car, so I had them with me when the wife called and asked me to swing by the grocery store, I’m happier just recycling the plastic bags.

Aldi's doesn't give you plastic bags. They have been doing that for years. I don't know if it nationwide, but in NY it's been that way for a long time.

Aldi's doesn't give you plastic bags. They have been doing that for years. I don't know if it nationwide, but in NY it's been that way for a long time.
It's their company policy. They are a German company.

Its also a good way for them to get their customers to carry out their cardboard boxes and cardboard is recyclable. a 2fer.

They also sell cloth bags if you need them.

Little late seeing this one. Just wanted to share how much I love their business model. We either bring our own bags or walk out with everything in their leftover boxes. My wife and I's favorite place to shop! AND because they don't have to pay a bagger, someone to retrieve shopping carts, etc, their food is really cheap.

I see that Corona beer just switched to non-plastic, biodegradable six pack rings for their can products. That's good news. It should be a requirement for a six pack cans.
https://www.foodbev.com/news/corona-to-launch-plastic-free-six-pack-rings-on-its-beer-cans/
Nice concept but nothing will make me drink Corona. Im not alone in that,dismal ratings on both Rate beer and Beer advocate. That said its the most popular beer in Mexico, so i guess their standards are that low.

I don't drink Coke or Pepsi products either but would welcome the industry adopting this alternative to the ubiquitous plastic six pack rings.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I don't drink Coke or Pepsi products either but would welcome the industry adopting this alternative to the ubiquitous plastic six pack rings.
Yes, i like the concept. Hopefully others will follow.

Nice concept but nothing will make me drink Corona. Im not alone in that,dismal ratings on both Rate beer and Beer advocate. That said its the most popular beer in Mexico, so i guess their standards are that low.

C'mon Oak when its 95 and humid you gotta go slummin' once in a while and drink a Coor's or Corona. ;lol

C'mon Oak when its 95 and humid you gotta go slummin' once in a while and drink a Coor's or Corona. ;lol
You mean if im dying of thirst and all thats available is the water in Mexico!!! or the beer. Not sure which one will kill you first! When the water is that bad it helps the beer industry.

You mean if im dying of thirst and all thats available is the water in Mexico!!! or the beer. Not sure which one will kill you first! When the water is that bad it helps the beer industry.
I subscribe to the middle age theory that spirits are indeed safer than water.;)

All macro beers on those sites get rated poorly because they are meant to focus more on craft beer, and us snobby craft beer drinkers for the most part seem to have a problem adjusting our expectations regarding macro beers.

In regards to the actual topic here though theres another brewery in Florida who I cant remember the name of who switched from the plastic 4 pack holders which have become the norm for craft beer to something biodegradable and edible for sea life made from wheat and barley byproducts from beer production. I havent seen these in person but thought it was a cool idea, considering even the 100% recycled normal 4 pack holders still seem to be that of a pretty heavy gauge plastic.

I probably have the most expensive beer budget on this forum, but even I’ll slam a Corona once or twice each summer by the pool. Jam a lime down the throat of that bottle, like you’re in college again, and remember what it’s like to be young and not care.

BTW, to me, Corona is not “beer”. Not even close. But it is something that occasionally hits the spot on a hot day by the pool or at the beach. It’s usually no worse than the other limited options, at many pool or beach bars.

I 've had my own shopping bags in the cars for at least 10 years. Used to bring home way too many plastic bags.

Have purchased a lot of recycled plastic outdoor furniture this year.

Has the water bottle ban here in Concord, MA been mentioned?

http://divideinconcord.com/about-the-film/

I agree with the concept. But, I strongly disagree with the "I, government, will decide what you will do" aspect of the ban. I'm a small government person.

The old lady (now deceased) behind the ban was in the news a lot up here. She came across as a real nut case to me.

Have purchased a lot of recycled plastic outdoor furniture this year.
My newest boat is made from recycled plastic bottles. It’s a process called rotomolding, very popular for small boats, these days. Makes a great racing training boat, they’re almost indestructible in the hands of a student.

That's really neat! Didn't know they made boats with recycled plastic.

Can you post the web site of the manufacturer? I'd like to read about them.

The last batch of outdoor furniture I bought was really funny. Was going to buy ONE Adirondack chair from a shopping center that sells off outdoor furniture after the season at a great price to replace it with new furniture next year. Bought one chair. Then decided to get another for another deck. Put them with the old furniture, which now looked really crappy. So, back to get two more chairs.

There was only one other Adirondack left and also a pub table that had a great price on it. Bought them. Neighbor said, "you went to buy one chair and ended up buying five chairs and a table?" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
That's really neat! Didn't know they made boats with recycled plastic.

Can you post the web site of the manufacturer? I'd like to read about them.
Very funny story about the furniture. Been there!

Our boat came from RS, but I know Hartley is also doing rotomold boats, and I think Laser Performance does, too.

Here’s RS, I got the Zest from them for my young kids to learn on. Great little boat!

https://www.rssailing.com/en/

All macro beers on those sites get rated poorly because they are meant to focus more on craft beer, and us snobby craft beer drinkers for the most part seem to have a problem adjusting our expectations regarding macro beers.

In regards to the actual topic here though theres another brewery in Florida who I cant remember the name of who switched from the plastic 4 pack holders which have become the norm for craft beer to something biodegradable and edible for sea life made from wheat and barley byproducts from beer production. I havent seen these in person but thought it was a cool idea, considering even the 100% recycled normal 4 pack holders still seem to be that of a pretty heavy gauge plastic.

I applaud this kind of thinking. We need more of it, a lot more.

Saltwater Brewery, the Florida-based craft brewery that originally worked on the idea with We Believers, started using the new rings earlier this year. The product is now in more than 500 stores in Florida. To date, Vega says, it’s performing well, both for consumers and for retailers who have to handle the six-packs. Other craft breweries in the U.S., Australia, Scotland, and South Africa are also beginning to use the packaging. The next step will be to begin to get Big Beer on board, beginning with Corona.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90273606/corona-is-testing-plastic-free-six-pack-rings

Reactions: Ashful

Yeah, Germany has a strong green movement. Learned that when I worked for a consumer products company in the 1990s.

Some of our VWs have had an old-style cartridge oil filter where you replace just the filter element in a housing, rather than a spin-on filter. I was told that it's more easily crushed to extract the oil in the filter element. What's old is new again!