Is it all over?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m up in the foothills of mt rainier. About 1000 feet above Seattle and 10 or so miles inland. Burning for 100% of my heat we have a 9 month burn season, mid September to mid June. It’s not as constantly bitter cold as others near Canada but it’s a long season.

I’m up in the foothills of mt rainier. About 1000 feet above Seattle and 10 or so miles inland. Burning for 100% of my heat we have a 9 month burn season, mid September to mid June. It’s not as constantly bitter cold as others near Canada but it’s a long season.

I’ve been to Bellingham a few times. Pretty area. Stay warm, and hope for sun!

Reactions: Highbeam
Warm spell right now. Currently lows in the 40's and highs in the 50's. Still burning 24/7. Only my second year with a stove, so I'm still figuring out what our regular practice is when it gets warmer. I have found out this year that I can burn smaller fires (stove half to 2/3 full) that will surprisingly still burn for 8-10 hrs. Apparently burn time and amount of fuel aren't really linearly related. I have also found when it gets really warm that turning off the stove fan helps a lot (last year I simply kept it on low all the time). Have been pretty successful at keeping the house 68-72 (target range), with a few forays up to 74.

Reactions: BethelStrong
63 right now but heading back into the 40s for another week or so.

Where do you live?
Yes, this is location based. Highbeam and I live within 40 miles of each other, but he is inland and at a higher altitude. We are close to Puget Sound which moderates our temps year round. Our temps and Highbeam's can vary by 15º in the winter and summer. Almost 70º predicted here for Tuesday! Woohoo!

We are finally starting to warm up so just morning fires now. The sun heats the house well while the angle is still low enough to go under the eaves. If it's over 45º at night then we burn electrons. It's much cleaner and cheaper.

If it's over 45º at night then we burn electrons. It's much cleaner and cheaper.

I hope everyone knows I know it depends on location ;) But this was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I was thinking a tad lower for myself, maybe because my stove is more of a hassle if I have to let it die out. I’m more thinking 35-40 and letting the electrons (electric heat pump) work their magic, and an occasional fire if it dips or we want one.

On the opposite end of this question, I set my thermostat (emergency LP) at 60 at night, but it rarely needed to come on this first season. Not bad for a first time stover.

Mostly my “troubles” have been around too much heat and moisture, but with the help of this forum I’ve all but figured it completely out.

We have a lot of temperatures swing here. It was in the 70’s just the other day, and I’m sure we will dip again into the 20’s.

we are always good for a big mothers day storm, and then one around memorial day as well...

We are close to Puget Sound which moderates our temps year round.

Oh, I forgot to say, be sure to stack some lumber for next week. Putin says you guys up in Cascadia will be experiencing a quake and tsunami in about a week. You are about 100 years overdue ;) You’ll probably have plenty of firewood, but you’ll likely need to rebuild your stoveroom. Nails and lumber, maybe some insulation are top Prepper items, I’d say.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are summer temps like in your area HB?

What are summer temps like in your area HB?

Very seldom do we hit 100 for highs, but lots of very nice days in the 75-85 range with low humidity july-august. Plus very long daylight hours, doesn't get dark until after 10pm. The summers are so good to make up for the long, wet, dark, cloudy, winters. Winters we hit single digit lows most years for at least a few days. Lots of 20s. Good skiing, the ground stays mostly muddy all winter so we stay out of the fields until dry up in the spring.

Oh, I forgot to say, be sure to stack some lumber for next week. Putin says you guys up in Cascadia will be experiencing a quake and tsunami in about a week. You are about 100 years overdue ;) You’ll probably have plenty of firewood, but you’ll likely need to rebuild your stoveroom. Nails and lumber, maybe some insulation are top Prepper items, I’d say.
Listening to Putin has become a national dilema.

Reactions: bholler
The fat lady hasn't sung yet, for me.

Burning at night, not during the day, and waiting until 7 PM or so to start a fire.

Welcome to "Shoulder Season" :p:mad:

Mostly done here only bc new pellet stove in basement heats up the house suprisingly well with the recent warmer weather. Before this, I was burning wood until early May. This works, bc usually around this time of year the wood burning starts to feels like more of a chore. The wood cuttting splitting and stacking never gets old though.

I'm about ready to shut down for the year. Natural Gas was run down our road a year or so ago, and it costs me squat to run the furnace on mild days. There is a cost to cutting, splitting and stacking firewood, although my labor rate is cheap. I'm going to make it a point to CSS more shoulder wood this Spring. Can't stand to burn Hickory when it's 35 degrees outside at night.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I won’t stop burning until well into May. Had a few warm days this week and ran 1/3 to 1/2 loads twice a day. With two feet of snow on the ground, living where I do, it’I’ll be awhile, at best. Watching horizontal snow flowing uphill as I type.

I burn for heat to avoid not just the cost of LP, but also to keep ground-born CO2 as low as possible. NG wouldn’t change that philosophy. If I were to build a house, I’d install sufficient solar panels to power a geothermal system. Meanwhile, if the House happens to overheat in shoulder season...god invented windows for a reason.

On a brighter note, I now have Scion wood for 300 apple trees in the fridge with rootstock coming next week. My garage is soon to be filled with buckets of trees! Optimism!

B

If we continue to warm we'll be done burning wood by the end of the month except for a few chill chasers on damp cold days. The heat pump is cheaper. It does an excellent job and is also a magnitude cleaner.

Reactions: Dix
Hey, he elected Trump singlehandedly (I’ve heard), so maybe he can predict the big one. Buckle up.
Or create it. :oops:
I broke down and fixed a fire last night. It’s still going... I hear the fat lady warming up her vocal-cords in the back room though.
I'm one year older and half a degree colder. If I put on enough clothes to stay warm, I start to resemble the Michelin Man. ;lol I think I burned a fire in May last year but that's unusual here.

It's pretty simple . . .

If I'm cold I light the woodstove . . . unless I am being lazy.

It's pretty simple . . .

If I'm cold I light the woodstove . . . unless I am being lazy.

Unfortunately my life isn’t that black and white. My wife gets cold faster, wide temperature swings in the Ohio valley, varying degrees of laziness (and time), lack of experience etc. etc.

Plus, I have a heat pump and LP, so I was more interested in facts of heating, not necessarily the opinions of cold. Experience of when (what temps) typical wood-burners quit building fires is the data I’m after.