How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
3 in 1 oil on the shaft closest to the motor on both sides.. did you try the stove with the top rod pulled out?

Get used to the glass covered. It happens quick and not much you can do about it. Happy to see you are making progress on the stove.
Glass should not be black within hours of start up. It is running with the vac switch jumped because we think there is still something plugged up somewhere

Black view glass is ALWAYS indicative of a rich burn condition (too much fuel versus too little combustion air. When the fuel to air ratio is correct, the view glass will still collect some fly ash and haze, but won't blacken and the haze and ash can be easily remove the a natural bristle paintbrush in a couple seconds while the stove is running. Just open the door and brush the view glass (of course being careful not to burn yourself.

I rarely clean my view glass when cleaning out the stove now. frequent cleaning of it when in operation keeps the view glass nice and tidy.

Well we will worry about a clean burn when we can get it to burn constantly first.

Well we will worry about a clean burn when we can get it to burn constantly first.
I oiled the conv fan. Sounds better. Still loud and whiny but not getting all those really high pitched beeps and squeals. This morning I tried starting it up and letting it do it's thing without baby sitting it. In twenty minutes the fan turned off and #3 light blinking. I used augur button to feed more pellets, hoping there were still embers in there and used the blow dryer trick on the fresh air intake. It roared back to life. And funny thing, when I did that the conv fan cut on for about 5 seconds, then turned back off.
Also, is it normal to have smoke come out into the pellet bin? I opened it to check pellet level and some smoke from the fire box came out.

And it just went out again while I was writing the previous reply. Seems like if I dont babysit it, it goes out.
I just tried adding pellets like earlier. I'm locked out again too. But there's no fire and it didnt really get all that hot like last night when it locked me out.
Wtf?

Did it burn better with the top rod out? Try closing the intake damper till it touches the set screw

On a negative draft unit like you have THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY SMOKE coming through the fuel bin, ever. That is a sign the that the negative draft isn't functioning correctly and will cause a hopper fire with very bad results (like burn your house down). Why all maunfacurers went from positive draft (pressurized burn area) to negative draft (vacuum in the burn area years ago) and why it's folly to buy a used positive draft stove. Amaizeablaze comes right to mind as does the early models of the England stoves. They all belong at the metal recycling yard in my opinion.

Are you absolutely sure the combustion fan you replaced the fan wheel on is rotating in the correct direction? You can change the rotation of the motor by flipping the field laminations 180 degrees which reverses the armature rotation. The wires to the coil mean nothing, only the induced magnetic field determines the rotation and the new fan you put on has a definite direction of rotation to purge the byproducts of combustion. if it's rotating backwards it will be extremely inefficient in it's task.

I thinking it was the damper being open all the way. With it closed up it should draw through the drop tube and eliminate the smoking hopper. Without being in front of the stove we have to wait for her to execute the instructions one at a time. So far it lights and runs for more than 5 min and thats more than it has been doing. So we are making progress

I thinking it was the damper being open all the way. With it closed up it should draw through the drop tube and eliminate the smoking hopper. Without being in front of the stove we have to wait for her to execute the instructions one at a time. So far it lights and runs for more than 5 min and thats more than it has been doing. So we are making progress
...Unless you want to make a road trip, which would bring you right past my place and we could go together. I'd take the Suburban, I have a finished mount sitting in Valentine, Nebraska I need to pick up anyway......;?

Pretty long road trip for me. Id rather just mail a care package. Im confident she can do this :)

Reactions: Rxwoman1961
On a negative draft unit like you have THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY SMOKE coming through the fuel bin, ever. That is a sign the that the negative draft isn't functioning correctly and will cause a hopper fire with very bad results (like burn your house down). Why all maunfacurers went from positive draft (pressurized burn area) to negative draft (vacuum in the burn area years ago) and why it's folly to buy a used positive draft stove. Amaizeablaze comes right to mind as does the early models of the England stoves. They all belong at the metal recycling yard in my opinion.

Are you absolutely sure the combustion fan you replaced the fan wheel on is rotating in the correct direction? You can change the rotation of the motor by flipping the field laminations 180 degrees which reverses the armature rotation. The wires to the coil mean nothing, only the induced magnetic field determines the rotation and the new fan you put on has a definite direction of rotation to purge the byproducts of combustion. if it's rotating backwards it will be extremely inefficient in it's task.
Uhhh...wish I'd known to check this when it was out of the stove. But I had air blowing out the exhaust tube when it was disconected from my stove pipe, so wouldnt it have to be?

I closed air intake to set screw, though it's set quite a way in there, and I'm not getting smoke in the pellet bin right now.
It's burning right now, I'm waiting for the convection fan to kick in. Seems to take forever.

Attachments

• How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner
    IMG_20201230_120910824.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 102
    IMG_20201230_121146000.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 106
Oh, i was hoping it had a better flame.that top rod closes off a lot of air. Ok so how do the holes look in the bottom of the burn pot pic if ya can

...Unless you want to make a road trip, which would bring you right past my place and we could go together. I'd take the Suburban, I have a finished mount sitting in Valentine, Nebraska I need to pick up anyway......;?
Lol. Not even close. Valentine Nebraska is pretty much kitty-corner across Nebraska from me. I'm clear on the other side, just north of Lincoln.

Ugh. The stove shut down again while I still had a fire going.
I had to push ON to turn the fan back on.
Now the fire is dying ...just as the convection fan kicks in.
I can hear pellets dropping in, but theyre not doing anything. I bet if I blew into it with the blow dryer it would flare back on.
Not enough air.

I dont have smoke coming out the bin, but I can see the firebox filling with smoke. Unless that's just my glass?

Attachments

IMG_20201230_123325272.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 105
The holes in the burn pot itself, we are encroaching on the end game now. Only thing i can think of now is to change parts. From what i have read these stoves have a very weak venting flow. Im going out to plow the driveway and i’ll see what parts i have in the shop. Maybe i can put a care package Together for ya. I do know I don’t have a double blower convection blower but i have a lot of motors and blowers. Maybe put a combustion blower together with a lil more umph