How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine are all above ground though I could have buried them. I didn't for a reason and the reason is my good friend and hunting buddy who owns the LP distributor I get my gas from. He told me the issue with burial is, if the tank or valving leaks, there is no way you can tell if it's leaking until the grass around the bottle dies, then you have to excavate it and fix the leak. I own them so they are all painted Hunter Green and blend in nicely with the surrounding trees and foliage nicely instead of the standard silver that bottles are usually painted. Burial was not an issue, I own a Case Extenda-Hoe.

Have a bad feeling that this summer, heating gas (as well as motor fuel and diesel) won't be cheap like this last year was. I believe low fuel prices are gone with the new administration. Why I topped off my diesel tank. Temporary hedge against the fuel price increase I feel that is looming.

Reactions: rickwai and Ssyko
Mine are all above ground though I could have buried them. I didn't for a reason and the reason is my good friend and hunting buddy who owns the LP distributor I get my gas from. He told me the issue with burial is, if the tank or valving leaks, there is no way you can tell if it's leaking until the grass around the bottle dies, then you have to excavate it and fix the leak. I own them so they are all painted Hunter Green and blend in nicely with the surrounding trees and foliage nicely instead of the standard silver that bottles are usually painted. Burial was not an issue, I own a Case Extenda-Hoe.

Have a bad feeling that this summer, heating gas (as well as motor fuel and diesel) won't be cheap like this last year was. I believe low fuel prices are gone with the new administration. Why I topped off my diesel tank. Temporary hedge against the fuel price increase I feel that is looming.
Yeah, but weren't the low gas prices mostly due to the pissing contest between Russia and Saudi Arabia last summer when Saudi dumped all that oil into the market purposely to drive the price down? There for a while they said that oil was minus $35 a barrel? ( Turns out it was oil futures, not oil itself).

Well, it aint too purty. Guess I'm not good at squooshing vulcanizing gasket goop into a perfect circle...but I think it'll work.
Just in time too. We're expecting another ugly winter storm to start tonight.

Attachments

• How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner
    IMG_20201228_193023025.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 115
A thin film would have been enough lol. Put some vegetable oil on the motor side so it doesn’t stick. Also put some on the stove where the housing mounts

Yep

Some type of cooking oil is better
but if all you have is 3 in 1 use it
Heat will make the 3 in 1 smoke and smell for a while
whereas cooking oil handles the heat better

Reactions: Washed-Up and Ssyko
Was going to comment but Ssyko beat me to it. The correct way to apply it it, take the cone shaped cap off and snip the very end and use that to apply the RTV in a thin bead, then let it sit overnight and assemble with the vegetable oil as Ssyko recommends. Your 'goop' job will work but next time do it as I say, it's a lot less messy.

You take the cone shaped cap off and put the flat cap on the tube and let the cone nozzle vulcanize and pull the coagulated RTV out of the cap and viola, it's good again.

Now we get a bit technical... If you can, get some fender washers that fit snugly on the welded in studs in the blower housing and when you put the blower in the housing, drop a washer over each screw post and tighten the nuts down. That spreads the clamping force more equally around the entire assembly and insures it won't leak. Tighten the hex nuts down firmly but not stupid tight, those are little weld studs and you don't want to break them off.

Fender washers are wide washers not like the skinny ones you usually see. Your local hardware will have them I'm sure.

PAM works too. I'm sure you have that.

Reactions: Ssyko
Reactions: Ssyko
Washers aren’t a must right now. Heat is. Add them later if needed. I’ve used the factory fasteners on a lot of stoves with no issues

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Yeah, but weren't the low gas prices mostly due to the pissing contest between Russia and Saudi Arabia last summer when Saudi dumped all that oil into the market purposely to drive the price down? There for a while they said that oil was minus $35 a barrel? ( Turns out it was oil futures, not oil itself).
Not really. Under Trump's energy policy we became a NET EXPORTER of oil. Under the new Regime we will again become a NET IMPORTER of oil and that will cause a spike in prices. The Green new deal might be good in some ways but real bad in others and especially bad for your bottom line as a consumer of refined petroleum products.

Why I filled my bulk tank to the top (minus the expansion space). My hedge on pricing in the near future.

Was going to comment but Ssyko beat me to it. The correct way to apply it it, take the cone shaped cap off and snip the very end and use that to apply the RTV in a thin bead, then let it sit overnight and assemble with the vegetable oil as Ssyko recommends. Your 'goop' job will work but next time do it as I say, it's a lot less messy.

You take the cone shaped cap off and put the flat cap on the tube and let the cone nozzle vulcanize and pull the coagulated RTV out of the cap and viola, it's good again.

Now we get a bit technical... If you can, get some fender washers that fit snugly on the welded in studs in the blower housing and when you put the blower in the housing, drop a washer over each screw post and tighten the nuts down. That spreads the clamping force more equally around the entire assembly and insures it won't leak. Tighten the hex nuts down firmly but not stupid tight, those are little weld studs and you don't want to break them off.

Fender washers are wide washers not like the skinny ones you usually see. Your local hardware will have them I'm sure.
OVERNIGHT?? Crap, Someone said 30 minutes to an hour!

Not really. Under Trump's energy policy we became a NET EXPORTER of oil. Under the new Regime we will again become a NET IMPORTER of oil and that will cause a spike in prices. The Green new deal might be good in some ways but real bad in others and especially bad for your bottom line as a consumer of refined petroleum products.

Why I filled my bulk tank to the top (minus the expansion space). My hedge on pricing in the near future.
Oh. I guess I thought prices were based on supply and demand. Since the Saudis caused a big supply and the demand went down (because no one went anywhere with the quarantining) that the glut caused the price to go down.
Is the green new deal going to be implemented??

Washers aren’t a must right now. Heat is. Add them later if needed. I’ve used the factory fasteners on a lot of stoves with no issues
Aaand right back to square one. New fan, new vacuum switch, hit ON button and fan starts up, 15-20 seconds everything shuts down and #2 light starts blinking. The only thing different is I think the convection fan is cutting on now.
I'm thinking this thing never ran right from day one . Lucky me.

Try taking the vac hose off the switch and blow through it. If its clear lets go back to jumping the vac switch And try it. Can you get a good close up pic of the label on the motor?

Last edited:
I have seen one that I had to clean the junk out of the elbow out by the stove. All the hard creosote inside under the fan cavity did not look good either. Explains why leafblower pulled nothing out.

Just hoping the previous owner did not run for extended amount of time with vac switch jumped (because stove was plugged) and hopelessly plugged up the places you cant see with creosote.

Just hoping the previous owner did not run for extended amount of time with vac switch jumped (because stove was plugged) and hopelessly plugged up the places you cant see with creosote.

thats what concerns me too.

Maybe get it outside and give it a good hot test burn

Try taking the vac hose off the switch and blow through it. If its clear lets go back to jumping the vac switch And try it. Can you get a good close up pic of the label on the motor?
The vacuume hose isn't clogged. When I jump the the switch it stays on.

Attachments

• How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner
    IMG_20201229_101454512~2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 97
Is there any cure for that or did I drive to the other side of Iowa for a really big boat anchor?

The vacuume hose isn't clogged. When I jump the the switch it stays on.

Just to be very clear, when you pulled the vacuum hose did you blow air through the hose back into the stove using your mouth so that you could sense the air flowing?