EV developments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ford just announced they are going to shift emphasis to hybrids for the short term.
Lawler said Ford “became a little bit complacent” on hybrids. He said hybrids were always a big part of the mix, and “with EV adoption slower, hybrids are going to be a bigger part.”

If you can’t beat them play another game with others who can’t compete either. I d like to have been at that meeting. Just wonder how the spun this decision to top brass or if it’s their idea.

If you can’t beat them play another game with others who can’t compete either. I d like to have been at that meeting. Just wonder how the spun this decision to top brass or if it’s their idea.
These were the words of the CEO. I imagine the CFO had some sobering numbers for him.

These were the words of the CEO. I imagine the CFO had some sobering numbers for him.

Perhaps he suggested 'we should all take up the violin?'

The Big 3 aren't going anywhere, especially in the next 10 years, the US Government will never let that happen.

I'd say they know their market better than anyone, ICE vehicles sell like hotcakes. GM is finally delivering Colorado's and Canyon's that we're ordered in June, Toyota is 3+ months behind on ICE vehicles, and 6-9 months on Hybrids. Pickup production has finally caught up enough that a truck sits on the lot for a few weeks before being sold.

I can pretty much buy any EV I want off the lot right now though, Subaru, Volkwagen, Hyundai, Ford. They'd have to dig them out of the snowbank first though, because nobody test drives them and none of them sell. One of our 2 Ford dealers sent their EVs back, told Ford to shove em because they don't sell. The other dealers Lightning and Mach-E photos are from Summer still, because they've been sitting so long.

This thread has turned into a pro-EV eco chamber. The technical and manufacturing challenges required to surpass are insurmountable in the 10-15 year time frame. The battery manufacturing issue in itself is daunting, and as I've said on other threads before, the factories required to build said batteries will not be online in the next 10 years. Never-mind upgrading the grid or generation capacity to support both a growing population and the additional load from EVs. Another thing not talked about (because we can't here) is the political aspect, forcibly switching the population to EV's is going to encounter fierce resistance, likely on a level similar to 2nd amendment issues today.

The Big 3 aren't going anywhere, especially in the next 10 years, the US Government will never let that happen.

I certainly hope you are correct. I grew up in Fords, and then driving them myself. Right now, the only thing they make money on is pickups. I'm sure that market (ICE pickups) will still exist 10 and maybe 15 years from now, but Ford will have to fight the other legacy makers for that (eventually shrinking) market.

The Big 3 can get bailed out forever, but how big will they be 10 or 15 years from now, in terms of employment and revenue?

I'd say they know their market better than anyone, ICE vehicles sell like hotcakes. GM is finally delivering Colorado's and Canyon's that we're ordered in June, Toyota is 3+ months behind on ICE vehicles, and 6-9 months on Hybrids. Pickup production has finally caught up enough that a truck sits on the lot for a few weeks before being sold.

I can pretty much buy any EV I want off the lot right now though, Subaru, Volkwagen, Hyundai, Ford. They'd have to dig them out of the snowbank first though, because nobody test drives them and none of them sell. One of our 2 Ford dealers sent their EVs back, told Ford to shove em because they don't sell. The other dealers Lightning and Mach-E photos are from Summer still, because they've been sitting so long.

Yeah, no one is buying the Ford EVs here in PA either, the dealers were skeptical at first, (many refused to buy in to EVs last year) and are now bailing.

This is not an EV problem. This is a Ford problem. And GM is selling fewer EVs than Ford at this point.

Who is buying EVs? Close to half of new car buyers in the two largest markets. China and EU.

This thread has turned into a pro-EV eco chamber.

What is 'pro EV' or 'anti EV'? I'm sad to see Ford and GM failing, and worried about their employees. I really want(ed) them to succeed, but at this moment (Dec 23) it is clear they are flat on their backs.

I post both negative developments occurring in the EV transition as well as positive ones. The Ford/GM news is one example of a bad outcome. If you think I am posting that as a positive development, that is in your imagination.

The technical and manufacturing challenges required to surpass are insurmountable in the 10-15 year time frame. The battery manufacturing issue in itself is daunting, and as I've said on other threads before, the factories required to build said batteries will not be online in the next 10 years.

Counter to this is the fact that 15% of new light vehicles sold globally are EVs, and that capacity was built in the last couple years. Seems like we can build the new capacity needed over the next 10-15 years just at the current rate of building. Sure, much of that capacity is overseas (where the leading markets are, ofc). But much of it was built by a US company.

While the IRA bill hoped to spur the construction of a lot of battery manufacturing capacity in the US (by the legacy makers), and many factories were announced, we can look at the Ford/GM results as evidence that the first round of their battery factories made poor overpriced batteries that are not going to sell anything at a profit. Its about production cost... both Ford EV products would sell at scale if they were priced 25-50% lower.

Hopefully Ford and GM can learn from their recent mistakes, regroup, and make market competitive batteries and EVs in a year or two. If they need a bailout to get there, I'm all for it.

Never-mind upgrading the grid or generation capacity to support both a growing population and the additional load from EVs.

Even if we switch ALL new light vehicle sales to EVs tomorrow (which we are definitely not doing) the ramp in grid electricity demand would take 10-15 years to roll in. IF we needed to add 25% production in 15 years, that is less than 2% per year (worst case)... and the real adoption rate will be slower than that.

And 25% higher kWh production is much less than 25% higher demand, bc EVs are mostly charged at low demand periods, enhancing grid stability, and the profits of producers (through them running a better duty cycle).

Another thing not talked about (because we can't here) is the political aspect, forcibly switching the population to EV's is going to encounter fierce resistance, likely on a level similar to 2nd amendment issues today.

See the other thread for that. I 100% agree that any attempt to ban ICE vehicles before superior EV replacements exist in all classes (at least 10-15 years away) would be so unpopular that it will not happen. People on the right are getting cranked about some other state than theirs discussing bans more than a decade from now. I think the folks proposing the bans are pandering to their local greeny folks, with a proposal that costs them nothing (bc it is more than a decade in the future). And the same bans (proposals) are selling millions of rage clicks in other states.

Last edited:
Reactions: NHWS and sloeffle
If I had to predict, I would predict that 2 of the 3 Big 3 will be around in 10 years (Ford and GM) and that Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram (Stellantis brands) will be in serious decline or spun off (with Jeep/Ram going to someone else). Stellantis is really late to the game, and poorly positioned with technology and know-how, so Stellantis may keep just the trucks and kill off Dodge and Chrysler vehicles and milk that ICE business as long as they can and get what they can out of BEV trucks when the technology matures.

I can see Toyota making the transition, and Honda also (though I question what plans Honda has to really get there). Nissan is partnered with a weak European partner - that's a tossup. Can we seriously expect smaller players like Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Subaru, etc. to still be viable contenders in the future, or will they just be brands that buy/license all the big drivetrain and other value-added "stuff" from others? It's possible that BEV drivetrains are the "thing" that make it easy for smaller players to compete - hard to know.

I never underestimate brand loyalty - its more powerful than most people give credence too. But in spite of that, there are going to be some dead car brands in the next 10-20 years.

This thread has turned into a pro-EV eco chamber. The technical and manufacturing challenges required to surpass are insurmountable in the 10-15 year time frame. The battery manufacturing issue in itself is daunting, and as I've said on other threads before, the factories required to build said batteries will not be online in the next 10 years. Never-mind upgrading the grid or generation capacity to support both a growing population and the additional load from EVs. Another thing not talked about (because we can't here) is the political aspect, forcibly switching the population to EV's is going to encounter fierce resistance, likely on a level similar to 2nd amendment issues today.
I've respected and agreed with many things you've written in the past, but I just don't agree with any of this, and woodgeek has already beaten me to the reply, so I won't pile on.

I agree that for 50% of the market (big SUVs and pickup trucks) BEV technology is too immature and probably 10 years away from being really viable, for a lot of reasons - maybe that is our point of agreement.

“we have a bunch of EVs we can’t sell because we can’t make them as cheap as tesla. Ram got a ton of good PR for their hybrid truck that’s not been made yet. Let’s rush more hybrids out so we can get some good press! Great idea! John what’s that one hybrid we have?? Yeah OK will it fit in the mustang? And the F150 and the Edge? Well I’m sure you will figure it out. And I want it on lots in 12 months.” Can we as least cast something new out of aluminum and glue it on. That’s got to give us some more good PR.

The answer must be they can’t compete for 4 mores years in the EV space. They need to buy some time. I Will say a plug-in hybrid with the right battery say 25kwh could really be a hit. Or Ford make a minivan again with a 25kwh battery and slap a transit sticker on it. No no not the transit connect bigger that can tow something. Oh it won’t make any money well that didn’t stop the battery truck ot the MachE.
would predict that 2 of the 3 Big 3 will be around in 10 years (Ford and GM) and that Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram (Stellantis brands) will be in serious decline or spun off (with Jeep/Ram going to someone else)
BYD buys this and has an established ‘Merican brand and some products and manufacturing capacity in the US from which to build EVs to crush Ford and GM.

Reactions: woodgeek
If you are in the market, it looks like Hertz is having a fire sale on Bolts, and Tesla's. Some of the Bolts seem very well priced with low miles on them.

I bought our van from Hertz rental. It was a straight-forward transaction.

No way would I buy a used Tesla that most likely no longer has access to a warranty or service. A Bolt on the other hand, if I needed one, and the price was right I would buy a former Hertz car in heart beat.

No way would I buy a used Tesla that most likely no longer has access to a warranty or service. A Bolt on the other hand, if I needed one, and the price was right I would buy a former Hertz car in heart beat.
The reddit subs I read say that all the rented Teslas they have driven have been really beaten up.

My understanding is that the remainder of the factory new car warranties typically transfer to the new owner in nearly every case because they are tied to the vehicle identification number (VIN). Therefore, regardless of ownership, the new car warranty will be valid for the entire warranty term. Why would Tesla be different?

I checked and there is a wide range of mileage on these rental sales. Locally there was one with less than 27K mile on it. Nationally the mileage was about 2 times higher.

Tesla unfortunately has a very bad rep for warranty service to begin with, they also monitor the operation of the vehicle continuously and are known to look for excuses to dump people off of warranty, usually due to repairs by unauthorized parties. IMHO not a good combination.

Tesla unfortunately has a very bad rep for warranty service to begin with, they also monitor the operation of the vehicle continuously and are known to look for excuses to dump people off of warranty, usually due to repairs by unauthorized parties. IMHO not a good combination.
Tesla service is not great. (That’s an understatement). My one experience was fine. Done on time all known identifyable issues fixed in the estimated time frame.
My understanding is that the remainder of the factory new car warranties typically transfer to the new owner in nearly every case because they are tied to the vehicle identification number (VIN). Therefore, regardless of ownership, the new car warranty will be valid for the entire warranty term. Why would Tesla be different?

I checked and there is a wide range of mileage on these rental sales. Locally there was one with less than 27K mile on it. Nationally the mileage was about 2 times higher.
I think this has really been been blown out of proportion. Hertz made a financial decision that was upended when Tesla dropped prices. They lost millions overnight. That happens. They knew what the profit margins were well enough to understand that cutting prices to move more cars and defeat competition was possible. As for repairs… yeah they are more. Have you seen hourly rates at dealers today they are up too.

The used EV tax credit makes the highest mileage cars a real bargain. But many places won’t offer loans for cars over 80k miles. I have not priced a 3rd party warranty on the model 3 but on my low mileage X is was reasonable and prudent to purchase.

Remember Covid decimated the rental market and then when they wanted to buy cars again Tesla was the only option. Now rental companies have purchase options. They still may qualify for the EV lease credit but they really want to get back to business as it was pre covid they under it well, and it was profitable. Like may businesses I see lots of changes coming in the rental market in the next 5-10 years. I’m not sure how they keep making lots of money.

Their offer is attractive, but it's unlikely we will get one. My wife doesn't deal with technology well at all. She never reads a manual which makes me tech support for her phone and computer. With the higher repair rate, tire wear, and stiffer ride it's just not a good fit. We love the Volt, but will eventually have to sell due to poor support from Chevrolet. The EUV is a possibility, but it feels like a step down from the Volt. It's low charging rate makes it less attractive for trips. That has us looking at the Ioniq5 or EV6 as alternatives.

I won’t be buying anything that doesn’t have NACS port and the ability to charge on Teslas charging network. No matter how goodbye deal is. I can wait a year or two.

That said all these developments coming to consumers will be highly dependent on the outcome of the 2024 elections. Futures of corporations will hang in the balance. They know what’s at stake if they make a decision now and the tides turn.

I won’t be buying anything that doesn’t have NACS port and the ability to charge on Teslas charging network. No matter how goodbye deal is. I can wait a year or two.

That said all these developments coming to consumers will be highly dependent on the outcome of the 2024 elections. Futures of corporations will hang in the balance. They know what’s at stake if they make a decision now and the tides turn.

Agreed. My decision to lease (rather than buy) my beloved Bolt in May 2022 is looking better and better.

In just 20 mos we have had the failure of EA to keep up with demand, the switch to NACS, the renewal of a $7500 fed rebate for new EVs and the cancellation of the Bolt EV/EUV! Not to mention Tesla walking prices lower.

All of these factors presumably affect my Bolt's resale value (downward) and make it more likely I will just hand the dealer the keys in another 18 mos and walk away. I think my residual is $21k.

The rest of the world is not snoozing. While the big 3, the ones who are supposed to know how to make cars, are faltering, the rest of the world continues to ramp up. It's only a matter of time before the Chinese will be competing in our market. They have a significant advantage with well-seasoned products that are ready to sell and a with a strong hold on the supply chain.

Reactions: woodgeek
Wow an EV hat got pst 4 pages without getting political. Good job everyone!

Two videos you probably need to watch about batteries and how to best maintain them. Take aways Do not keep a high state of charge when it’s hot. Frequent small charges to say 70% are best. Don’t run it way down.

And next generation batteries could go 6 million miles!!!

Our Volt automatically charges between 20-80% for maximum battery life. Is this a software settable option for a Tesla or other EVs? Should the EPA mileage range be factored on this delta for a more meaningful number?

Our Volt automatically charges between 20-80% for maximum battery life. Is this a software settable option for a Tesla or other EVs? Should the EPA mileage range be factored on this delta for a more meaningful number?
Tesla allows user to set charge limits 50-90% and reserves anything over than that for trips. Mileage estimate does not affect battery chemistry or construction. So i don’t see how that would effect the best delta for charging. At the end of the day consumer mileage requirements will dictate the total amount of charging. But the data is clearly showing how many charge cycles a battery sees is less important than other factors. So if you get a battery that gets charged 35-75% every day to drive say 75 miles, is better off than 2-100% for 75 or 400 miles.

Reactions: begreen