BK Ashford 30 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oh yeah, I spaced that out...again. ;em In that case the PH would be in play for me and I'd compare the constructions of the two hybrid systems, burn times etc. I'd prefer to look at the soapstone, of course.
When it's burning? I've sometimes gotten a faint whiff of smoke right over the stove this year but I'm pretty sure I just need to replace the flue exit cover plate gasket (rear-vent setup.) It's not coming from the door. Could you tell where it was coming from on the Keystone you see?
I haven't yet replaced a gasket on this stove, except the glass when I took it out for access to seal a seam leak..I really need to get them all this summer.
It is the entire house that smells from regular smoke spillage. I almost never smell it from modern noncats but I see it much more commonly from cat stoves. Granted most of the cats are Vermont castings dutchwests some Alaska's and some bucks. Only a few Woodstock's and bks.

It is the entire house that smells from regular smoke spillage.
That sounds like a venting problem; The Keystone breathes very well. Or they don't know they have to open the bypass. ;lol I can run it when it's pushing 60 outside with no smoke spillage, rear-vented.

That sounds like a venting problem; The Keystone breathes very well. Or they don't know they have to open the bypass. ;lol I can run it when it's pushing 60 outside with no smoke spillage, rear-vented.
The vent is good I would guess it is operator error in that case. But the fact is when you have the firebox full of smoke that is then burnt by the cat there is more potential for that smoke to escape into the room than when the smoke is burnt up in the box.

That doesn't by any means say that a cat stove will smell. Or that a non cat won't. Just what I have seen in my experience.

This entire thread, all 566 posts, is superb marketing against cat technology and BK stoves. Just so everyone who is participating knows...

Reactions: SpaceBus
This entire thread, all 566 posts, is superb marketing against cat technology and BK stoves. Just so everyone who is participating knows...
Ha, I read several pages of posts on this thread when I was stove shopping. I agree with you entirely!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Only if the reader hasn't tried both.
Yeah, jury is still out on weather the non-cat I got my SIL is going send a buttload of heat up the flue and eat through wood like nobody's bizness...

Reactions: kennyp2339