Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I think we will try adjusting the washers ASAP, and packing the stove more full than we have been.

Where can we get that thermometer? I don't see one in the regency manual, there's no pic, I even searched for the word "thermometer" and it doesn't show up. Wait, editing...is this it? How the hell do you install it? http://www.condar.com/Catalytic_Thermometers.html

Marty look in the picture, you can see the thermostat on there...the round thing with white and red on it.

Does removing the andirons void the warranty? It says right in the manual to only burn on the bricks:
" Do not use grates, andirons or other methods for supporting fuel. Burn directly on the bricks."

THANKS AGAIN!!

Last edited:
Where did you get your wood? Is it kiln-dried? Otherwise, it does not looked seasoned; no cracks in the ends or any discoloration from the sun. Maybe that's part of the reason your results are unsatisfying.

We got the wood from some local provider...a lot of places were already out for the season, so we were desperate to get some. He said that it is "14months old and split for about 1 month." I'm a complete newbie to woodstoves, so that sounded pretty good to me. Especially compared to none! :)

This guy: http://www.angieslist.com/companyli...firewood-and-tree-removal-reviews-7689764.htm

I almost feared so. Wood does not dry out when still in logs. Thus, it essentially has been seasoned only for a month which means it is still completely wet. No wonder you have not been that impressed with the stove. It's like dumping a gallon of water in the tank and complaining your new car is not running as advertised. ;)

My guess is you need to stack the wood in a sunny and windy location for at least a year to get it close to 20% internal moisture content. For this winter, you could consider burning lumber scraps or compressed wood logs like Bio-bricks or Envi-blocks. For the future, try getting your wood split and stacked in the late winter/early spring for the winter 20 months from then. That way it will almost guaranteed be dry.

Condar digital catalytic monitor regency sells them. I was wrong it's page 30 shows you how to install. You remind me of my wife and I 12 years ago, we got our stove in November and got wood same time it will burn its just hard to get temps up and won't burn as efficient. How much did you buy?

Last edited:
This stove is burning better and better each day that passes. It just sends a even heat for hours. Last night outside temp was 24 and woke up to temps up stairs 70 and down stairs were the stove is located, temp on the other side of house from were the stove is temp was 71. My old stove up stairs with outside temps in the 20s I couldn't pass 65.

I'm starting to see the same, after two sets of washers I'm getting 9+ hours of the fan on. Today the fan was on high and icame home after 9.5 hours and it was still blowing hot no problem.

Reactions: Wolves1
I removed the outside air knockouts and 1 set of washers. Decided to try the east-west + north-south loading combo and the thing almost ran away on me (cat temps sat at 1400 for hours while it incinerated the load of wood). It seems to have made the primary air more powerful.

Still only getting 6-8 hours before the fan shuts off.

Very much looking forward to this restricting plate.

Try a second set of washers, I noticed a difference, I had the fan blowing for 10.5 hours last night when i put more wood on this morning. I've also noticed the blackness on the glass got less and more even on each side.

Try a second set of washers, I noticed a difference, I had the fan blowing for 10.5 hours last night when i put more wood on this morning. I've also noticed the blackness on the glass got less and more even on each side.

I can't get the door to shut with 2 sets removed. This was totally cold though. I'll try removing the second set again and see if it shuts while warm.

It took me acouple days with one set removed until I could remove the second

Holy crap! What a difference that second set of washers makes. The door barely latches, but wow! The air control lever actually serves a purpose now.

Closing the air down seems to almost snuff it out. I'll check back in in the morning to report how that translates to an entire burn cycle.

Holy crap! What a difference that second set of washers makes. The door barely latches, but wow! The air control lever actually serves a purpose now.

Closing the air down seems to almost snuff it out. I'll check back in in the morning to report how that translates to an entire burn cycle.

Sorry if you have been asked that already but did you ever do a dollar-bill test to see how tight the gasket seal is?

Sorry if you have been asked that already but did you ever do a dollar-bill test to see how tight the gasket seal is?

I haven't. I just didn't bother because the door fit so snug as it was. I'm going to let the stove cool off tomorrow and do it then.

Also, I spoke a little too soon about the washers fixing the run away air. It seems once it really starts rolling it doesn't appear to respond to the air control still. Oh well... here's to praying that restriction plate fixes our woes.

I removed the outside air knockouts and 1 set of washers.

I ordered a Regency HI400 (same insert as the CI2600) and I'm looking forward to it being installed next week. Of course, reading this thread makes me very nervous about whether I made the right decision, or whether I should have gone with my second choice of the FPX Large Hybrid. Anyway, my [first] question is, how do I check if my new insert has the air knockouts removed already or not? Is it easier to do before it's installed?

I ordered a Regency HI400 (same insert as the CI2600) and I'm looking forward to it being installed next week. Of course, reading this thread makes me very nervous about whether I made the right decision, or whether I should have gone with my second choice of the FPX Large Hybrid. Anyway, my [first] question is, how do I check if my new insert has the air knockouts removed already or not? Is it easier to do before it's installed?

It is much easier to remove the knockouts prior to install. Just lift the cardboard cover off the pallet and you will see them on each side of the unit. Impossible to miss.

I fully expect you to have the same struggles the rest of us are having, but I am confident regency will make good on this in the end.

[quote="I fully expect you to have the same struggles the rest of us are having, but I am confident regency will make good on this in the end.[/quote]

New Hi400 user here. I'm seeing the same issues you guys are, this thing is like having a small sun in my living room.

I'm very interested in the restrict or plate fix, please update us as soon as you can.

I removed the outside air knockouts and 1 set of washers. Decided to try the east-west + north-south loading combo and the thing almost ran away on me (cat temps sat at 1400 for hours while it incinerated the load of wood). It seems to have made the primary air more powerful.

Still only getting 6-8 hours before the fan shuts off.

Very much looking forward to this restricting plate.
There is Definitely something wrong
It is much easier to remove the knockouts prior to install. Just lift the cardboard cover off the pallet and you will see them on each side of the unit. Impossible to miss.

I fully expect you to have the same struggles the rest of us are having, but I am confident regency will make good on this in the end.
I find the stove is is giving me a good 9 hours of it giving me heat. I'm down to a set of two washers and I did not take the knock out plate out but I did not check if the company took them out. I wish it could do something to figure out how to help everybody having trouble.

There is Definitely something wrong

I find the stove is is giving me a good 9 hours of it giving me heat. I'm down to a set of two washers and I did not take the knock out plate out but I did not check if the company took them out. I wish it could do something to figure out how to help everybody having trouble.

9 hours would not be acceptable to me either. All of regency's other models exceed the listed burn time by a solid 1-2 hours. I expect this unit to get the advertised 14 hours. I don't see any reason to accept less than that.

For anyone interested, here is a pic of the main air orfice. It almost seems as if it was designed with future adjustments in mind. I was looking at the 3500 and 5100 models and noticed they both lack this bolt on orfice. I'm going to try blocking this off some until an official one is shipped from regency.

For anyone interested, here is a pic of the main air orfice. It almost seems as if it was designed with future adjustments in mind. I was looking at the 3500 and 5100 models and noticed they both lack this bolt on orfice. I'm going to try blocking this off some until an official one is shipped from regency.

Has regency given you any idea when you should expect that new restrictor plate?

9 hours would not be acceptable to me either. All of regency's other models exceed the listed burn time by a solid 1-2 hours. I expect this unit to get the advertised 14 hours. I don't see any reason to accept less than that.
I

when was that picture taken?

No, it's from our floor model 2600.
I was about say you need to build a fire to get a good burn time. With the nine hours I could have put more wood in and it was still burning hot about 450 to 600 could have kept going I just don't know how much longer my guess not that much longer. I then put more wood in because I was leaving the house. If the reducer plate gets longer burn times love to know. Does the company have them in stock or are they making it custom for you? Can you please if you can post a pic of the other models main air. I'm just curious to see what they look like how big of hole they have. I don't know of any place near me that has floor models. If you can't I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.