2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakes have finally gone down a bit! Got to watch some people who couldn’t read bouys plow into the sandbar last week. I expect to see a lot more this weekend! Last time they went over the sandbar, the water was about 1-1.5 feet higher than it is now!
Hey, at least it's sand! Growing up, we did half our boating at the Jersey shore (LBI) and the other half in the Delaware river from Philly up thru Bristol. Running aground at any reasonable low speed at the shore was pretty much a non-event, other than getting yourself un-stuck. But run aground in the Delaware, and you're replacing a prop or even an outdrive lower unit housing. The former is sand, and the latter is rock.

We did a lot of water skiing, it was easily half our usage of that boat, and dad never liked pulling skiers in the channel. That meant a lot of off-channel boating, and discovering on our own where the water was shallow or deep enough for skiing. It must be worse now, with all the idiots running chart plotters and autopilot, at least back then you could count on someone being at the wheel of the fishing boats returning from sea... even if they had a few drinks in them.

The biggest challenge between the two bottom types was finding an anchor that would work well enough on both, so you didn't have to change out all of your anchors each time you'd go from one launch to the other. Anchor shackles used in salt water didn't always want to come apart, for changing your rode and line.

Saw a kayak with a sail today! It was kind of like an umbrella without the pole in the middle. It was somewhat rigid around the perimeter and had sheets on 2 sides. It was moving the guy along decently. I bet it only worked on a run though. There was no mast or boom. I bet an actual umbrella would have worked just as well.

Saw this at the beach yesterday! The board has a foil wing. He was tacking well.

Saw a kayak with a sail today! It was kind of like an umbrella without the pole in the middle. It was somewhat rigid around the perimeter and had sheets on 2 sides. It was moving the guy along decently. I bet it only worked on a run though. There was no mast or boom. I bet an actual umbrella would have worked just as well.

Reactions: begreen and Ashful
I tried regular wind surfing in the 90s. I never could get the hang of it. I see similar setups being pulled behind boats.

Oh, this is going to suck. I had a morning in the 40s, time to start getting the stove ready in the cabin.

It looks like we had some sideways rain or something during one of the storms and it got under the flashing or ridge or something. Water found its way to and sat on the stove. Since it’s not a full time lived in place, it was never noticed.

I think I’ll need to at least refinish the top of it. Ugh. I might as well document it, it’ll happen to somebody else eventually. Man that dust looks horrible, lol. The cabin is a dusty place! PE forum post will be following, I’m sure, lol.

2023 Severe Weather 2023 Severe Weather

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nothing severe, just the MHIF.

2023 Severe Weather

On Thursday for our area, we have a slight chance of high winds 55 to 65 with max winds of 75 with heavy rains. It seems like it covers a big area so you might want to check your areas forecast.

They cut the kid’s field hockey practice short today. I’m not sad, she’s the goalie so she’s stuck wearing a couple inches of foam around her.

It’ll be 90s again tomorrow and she has a game. Not looking forward to it. I may start hounding her tonight to start drinking water.

They cut the kid’s field hockey practice short today. I’m not sad, she’s the goalie so she’s stuck wearing a couple inches of foam around her.

It’ll be 90s again tomorrow and she has a game. Not looking forward to it. I may start hounding her tonight to start drinking water.
Very good idea.

Well that’s good. I was missing the rain. I didn’t know what to do with all the spare time I had not vacuuming the basement, lol.

I haven't been outside yet but it looks like we never received any rain yesterday or last night.

We had a good hard shower yesterday. It’s supposed to happen on and off today too.

I haven't been outside yet but it looks like we never received any rain yesterday or last night.
Same here. The pavement got wet, really just a sprinkle, but zero water in the rain gauge or the Tupperware container one of my kids left on the patio. We did have a fantastic lightning show that lasted all evening and night, though.

Temperatures are dropping with the shorter days but still dry here for at least the next 10 days. The last meaningful rain was back in June.

We had a good hard shower yesterday. It’s supposed to happen on and off today too.
We didn't have anything in the rain gauge from yesterday or overnight, so far any of the rain that radar shows our area getting hasn't made it to the ground.

It's starting to darken up so maybe the above will change.

Temperatures are dropping with the shorter days but still dry here for at least the next 10 days. The last meaningful rain was back in June.
Can't like that, it just rained pretty hard for about ten minutes.

It looks like Hurricane Lee will be worth watching, hopefully it stays out in the ocean way off the east coast but time will tell.

Definit-Lee. Hope it decides to veer off to the Northeast into the mid-Atlantic. And Margot is warming up next.

Definit-Lee. Hope it decides to veer off to the Northeast into the mid-Atlantic. And Margot is warming up next.
I haven't seen that in years (Definit-Lee) who was the member that always used something like that?

Since our firewood is top covered, the closer we get to shoulder season, the more I pay attention to heavy rains coming in. I'm hoping the wood stove won't be used until the start of October.

In previous years we've started burning on September 15, last year was more like September 25.

And Margot is warming up next.
Please tell me this year's "T" storm name is "Todd"!

1694204824426.png

Heck, if these guys had any sense of humor, they'd do Audrey, Bethany, Clark, Rusty, all in the same year. Not sure if E would go to Eddie or Ellen, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.