2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. We’ll, there’s no option but to dress warm and load the stove!

Reactions: thewoodlands
For me a hard winter up here means both some real cold temps with plenty of snow. I hate when we get the heavy snow and then rain after, that makes for a chit load of ice and at times, water back here.

We have some higher btu firewood ready for this year for the colder months, we'll see if we need them.

We have pellets left so this was our first year that we didn't purchase a ton so we'll probably have a cold and snow filled winter.

According to NOAA, in the last 90 days we received 15 - 20 inches of rain and in the last 180 days, 25 to 30.

That is 4 to 6 inches above normal on the 90 and 180 day totals.

Last night we received another 8 mm and then today when I was outside working we received another 4 mm real quick.

Last edited:
It rained all Thursday night to Friday morning. Then dried out the rest of the day.

I’m not surprised there’s an extra half foot of rain that came down.

Looks like no rain for us through the rest of the month. That would mean 0" of rain here for August unless things change.

Add another 10 mm or 0.394 of an inch of rain to yesterdays total. It looks like we have a break from all the rain coming up, about 4 days without rain.

It looks like we have a break from all the rain coming up, about 4 days without rain.

It's a trick! Don't plan a children's party! They'll all be running around your house after they play in the mud!

We could use it up here, but it looks like the storm is going to veer northeast once it hits land and Montana may get what's left. Instead we have a couple of days of wildfire smoke and yellow skies. :(

2023 Severe Weather

it’s a far less exciting story now that it’s a category 1 storm. When I lived in Florida it was a fairly common occurrence. During Hurricane Floyd (Early 90s) we were tying extra spring lines on our sailboat in the inter coastal when a guy in a sailboat made it through the breakwater and tried to make it to his slip. Im not sure what he was thinking. But we tried to keep him off the concrete pilings. I ended up on his boat and we eventually got it in his slip.

We could use it up here, but it looks like the storm is going to veer northeast once it hits land and Montana may get what's left. Instead we have a couple of days of wildfire smoke and yellow skies. :(

View attachment 314622

Too bad it won't wet down some Canadian wildfires!

It's a trick! Don't plan a children's party! They'll all be running around your house after they play in the mud!
We did get some rain this afternoon but nothing that was heavy and it lasted about four minutes. We had 51 this morning, feeling like fall.

Yeah, it’s starting to get cooler in the morning! I like it!

55F here this morning. I remember outdoor summer jobs in school, how cool the mornings would start getting around mid-August, a sure sign summer was nearing its end.

In college I remember frost by Labor Day.
In my childhood I remember the same. Now we have gone through October without a frost. That said, it was 53 this morning. The smoke acts as a strong filter for sunlight warmth.

It looked like it was going to rain hard this morning but we only had a few sprinkles, the temp was 59 before the first cup of coffee.

We're finally getting three or four days of sun without any rain, feels great, this morning the temp was 51.6.

Been cool here. Unusually cool summer, overall, excepting two weeks in July.

Of course this is the summer we install a swimming pool! ;lol

Whoop whoop! We got an unexpected 0.04" of rain overnight. That's the most we have seen in over 45 days.

It was cool day here. Heat index never got over 90! Back to 110 this weekend. Summer is feeling long down here after a cool spring.

Lakes have finally gone down a bit! Got to watch some people who couldn’t read bouys plow into the sandbar last week. I expect to see a lot more this weekend! Last time they went over the sandbar, the water was about 1-1.5 feet higher than it is now!

Hurricane was a non event here other than two tornadoes that touched down for a few 100 yards each. No structures damaged near me. No unplanned firewood deliveries!

Status
Not open for further replies.