2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 45 minutes we received 16 mm or 0.63 of an inch of rain, some of the heavier rains stayed northwest of us.

Sunny here today. I hope it sticks! It’d be nice to dry out!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Sunny here today. I hope it sticks! It’d be nice to dry out!
This is was AccuWeather has for us tomorrow, just another day in the summer of 2023.

Cloudy with a couple of showers and a heavy thunderstorm in the afternoon; damaging winds can accompany heavy downpours

2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

The wet and wild weather continues, I did see one picture on TV on Accu that had most of NYS in the red.

Last edited:
We received a quick 12 mm or 0.472 of an inch of rain.

Another 10 days of sun and no rain is our forecast.

Another 10 days of sun and no rain is our forecast.
We would take that weather forecast but it looks like we get a day off from rain and then the storms start back up.

I think that I've said this before but August is usually our dry month and September is a real wet month for us, hopefully that changes this year.

Is the month of September usually wet in your area?

I got an email that my parking spot at the lake is under water… again.

It was a beautiful day today. It threatened to rain once. We went to a get together. The teenagers were able to wander off on their own, adults got to sit back and talk about them, lol.

Got absolutely blasted for about 15 minutes last night, just after midnight. Looked and sounded like someone was pressure washing the house. This morning on the rain gauge... 2 inches!

I just re-graded 1/2 acre of lawn with soil that's way heavy in clay, was hoping to start ammending it with some gypsum and compost today. I think that might have to wait now, it's a bit mucky.

We would take that weather forecast but it looks like we get a day off from rain and then the storms start back up.

I think that I've said this before but August is usually our dry month and September is a real wet month for us, hopefully that changes this year.

Is the month of September usually wet in your area?
It varies. Usually some rains start coming in by September. Fall has definitely gotten warmer since we moved out here almost 50 yrs ago so it's anyone's guess what is in store for this year. Here is today's 10 day forecast. I'll be watering a lot this week.
This is what is coming this week and NOAA's 1.5 month forecast.

2023 Severe Weather2023 Severe Weather

It varies. Usually some rains start coming in by September. Fall has definitely gotten warmer since we moved out here almost 50 yrs ago so it's anyone's guess what is in store for this year. Here is today's 10 day forecast. I'll be watering a lot this week.
This is what is coming this week and NOAA's 1.5 month forecast.

View attachment 314431
Hopefully you get some rain before September. We did get a quick heavy rain today but the majority of the day was good with tomorrow even better.

Hopefully the weather this week changes some, instead of one good day with the rest filled with rain, we can get a few nice days and some that only have morning showers.

One of the storms with a chit load of lightning (just over 2 weeks ago) smoked the garage door opener, before that lightning storm we had a close call(I think) just outside the bedroom window with a big white flash that shook the house.

One of my calls tomorrow is to deal with an opener that got hit with a power surge.

One of my calls tomorrow is to deal with an opener that got hit with a power surge.
They thought it was what they called the logic board (nope) they changed something else in there too but that didn't work either.

The GFCI just after the main was tripped and another on the opposite wall. If we have lightning coming in that day, I just unplug it.

Most of my inspections for garage door openers are just the quick and big stuff. Sensors, limits, tracks…

Anything involving breaking open the unit for diagnosis or replacing internal parts starts to run up labor costs really fast. Throwing parts at it without being 100% sure adds additional trips from ordering the parts. The opener I install most often we sell for $575 installed with a 10 year manufacturer warranty. It hurts to rack up a few hundred on a 20 year old opener where something else could go next week.

For giggles I dove into one a bit tonight. It was sitting over a car that hadn’t moved in over 10 years. It was having a sensor issue so I kept working my way back to the opener. It wasn’t sending out enough power to the eyes. He was able to override the sensors by keeping the button pressed down, I recommended he just keep doing that. The only time he opens the door was in the fall when he brings in his winter pellets! I told him when the opener fails, give me a call, but we’re going to have to air up the tires in his old Caddy and push it out of the garage, lol.

I just looked at AccuWeather, they're calling for 0.76 of an inch of rain tonight, after having a real nice day, the rain returns.

It was 82 north of here with the temp back here hitting 79.8 the last I looked.

I am so F'ing sick of this constant rain. It rained THREE times today. Just as soon as things would dry out enough to get out and do some work, another shower would hit. It has been raining so frequently, for so many weeks, I'm starting to grow moss.

I have 1/2 acre of MUD graded out over my back yard right now, which really needs some attention, so it can be prep'd and seeded. Unfortunately, I need it to dry out a bit before that can happen.

Could you spread the seed by hand? Even getting it started would help stop the mud and erosion,

Last night before I shut the laptop off, I checked Accu and NOAA. Accu called for 0.76 of an inch of rain and NOAA called for 0.87.

The rain started around 10 last night and it ended at 8:30 this morning, not a big miss :eek: in their forecast but we received 3.25.

There's water where it usually would be in the spring when we get the snow melting. Down near the brook and one road near the river was flooded and part of a road southeast of us was washed out, I'm glad the house lot is mostly sand.

IMG_0788.JPG

Schroon actually lowered last night a bit. It’s been high most of the year. So much water has moved through that system this year!

Could you spread the seed by hand? Even getting it started would help stop the mud and erosion,
I'll have it done in another two days. 3-point aerator, 3-point seeder, I just wish I had a rock bucket right now.

Hauled 1 cubic yard of rock out in two hours today. If I can do double that tomorrow evening, and maybe a third yard on Friday, it will be done. Gotta spread 4 yards of mulch around the pool before I seed, which should be done Friday as well. Expect to be seeding by Saturday.

Schroon actually lowered last night a bit. It’s been high most of the year. So much water has moved through that system this year!
It's moving along pretty good across the road, it will be interesting to see what kind of winter we're in for.

Some farmers east of here were telling a lady that it would be a hard winter in this area, I guess they're going off the crops and how early they harvested them.

Can they be more specific? Hard due to cold or hard due to snow? One will give me lemonade with skiing, well, the other will bring on the ice fishing, lol. I’ll enjoy both.

Can they be more specific? Hard due to cold or hard due to snow? One will give me lemonade with skiing, well, the other will bring on the ice fishing, lol. I’ll enjoy both.
If I see that same lady who talked with them, I'll ask her but just the way she was talking, it was both.

Status
Not open for further replies.