2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly 3 inches this afternoon, in a completely un-forecast series of quick storms that rolled thru. Forecast was calling for no rain until 5pm, while it was coming down in buckets at 2pm. :rolleyes:

I'd send some of it your way if I could, begreen.

Our phones were all buzzing with Emergency Alerts during today's little rain storm, which seems to happen with every normal storm these days, to the point where people are just starting to ignore them when their phones go off. Hopefully the next legit emergency (Amber alert? tornado?) isn't just routinely ignored, due to such massive over-use of the system.

You have to go into your phones settings, go to emergency alerts and turn off the severe settings leaving on the extreme settings and you will not be alerted unless it is something real.

Reactions: Ashful
You have to go into your phones settings, go to emergency alerts and turn off the severe settings leaving on the extreme settings and you will not be alerted unless it is something real.
Thanks, that is good to know! Unfortunately, it doesn't change my concern that most people will not do this, and begin just ignoring these nearly-constant emergency alerts we seem to be getting the last year. I mean, damn... it goes off almost every time we get a rain shower, anymore.

IMO, that system should be reserved for when our local nuke plant heads into meltdown, a tornado warning (not watch), Russian subs surfacing near your closest city, and Amber alerts. Heck, even Amber alerts are not exactly mass-casualty events, and should probably play a different sound. Saving the system for actual existential threats would ensure it gets the attention it deserves, when it does fire off.

2023 Severe Weather

I just checked the rain gauge, so far we received 20 mm or 0.787 inches of rain since it started overnight. It's still raining, nothing real hard but still coming down steady.

I think the last rainfall map for this area was calling for 1.26 inches of rain.

Tornado with confirmed touchdown in Keene yesterday afternoon. The same cell produced a roadblock on 101 in Dublin from the trees that were snapped. That was probably straight line winds though, but from the same cell as it raced due east. 101 is the major route to get west in the southern part of the state.

Tornado with confirmed touchdown in Keene yesterday afternoon. The same cell produced a roadblock on 101 in Dublin from the trees that were snapped. That was probably straight line winds though, but from the same cell as it raced due east. 101 is the major route to get west in the southern part of the state.

The system in Dublin was confirmed to be an EF1 tornado. Same one from the Keene/Swanzey area it just wasn't on the ground the whole time.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nothing severe here but we have had another day of rain. The temp was at 61 the last I checked so that's nice.

We usually start burning on September 15 or with warmer temps it could be around September 25. It's just around the corner.

It’ll be very low 50s, high 40s tonight. It’s starting to cool down. We may be starting to get frost by Labor Day again.

It’s amazing how nice today is compared to yesterday.

I was thinking, if all the water that’s come down this year has stopped the ground from heating up to normal temps, could we have frozen ground earlier, and a deeper frost? Could the snow stick earlier?

It’s amazing how nice today is compared to yesterday.

I was thinking, if all the water that’s come down this year has stopped the ground from heating up to normal temps, could we have frozen ground earlier, and a deeper frost? Could the snow stick earlier?
I don't follow the logic there.. more water in the ground means higher heat capacity, which means it will also cool more slowly...

Water can also pull heat off an object.

I’m thinking about the ground as a campfire that gets a bucket of water thrown onto it each time the fire starts to get going.

More clouds than sun; more humid with a couple of showers and a heavy thunderstorm; watch for flooding.

Hopefully the above info (Accu) for Friday 8/4 for our area changes, anyone else in for any bad weather that day.

That’s too far out for the weather guessers to be accurate, especially around the mountains! It shows rain for my house and cabin though.

I came home to a wet basement this evening. I vacuumed it dry, but water is still coming in. Must have been a heck of a storm!

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
That’s too far out for the weather guessers to be accurate, especially around the mountains! It shows rain for my house and cabin though.

I came home to a wet basement this evening. I vacuumed it dry, but water is still coming in. Must have been a heck of a storm!
I agree it's too far out except this summer when they say it will rain/pour, it has. That sucks about the basement.

It’s almost completely dry now. I did a bit of vacuuming and ran a fan and dehumidifier down there. If it’s a nice, dry week, I’ll get it dry down there.

Check the gutters and downspouts to make sure they are not dumping water close to the foundation.

That’s the first thing I checked. They’re clear. I’m in clay and on a hill. Any surface runoff eventually finds the impervious bucket made of soil that is my basement. This is more than regular though. I suspect the water is coming down so hard it’s overpowering my gutters. It’s possible that’s happening above me too and their water flows are off, sending more water toward my bucket, I mean basement.

Residing my house is top project on the list. I can get new gutters after that.

Yeah, was cool here last night, too. Even with Cover Free in the water, the swimming pool was steaming this morning. Heater is set at 87F, and was running full-bore.

Our weather is run by a duplicating machine. Been this way all summer.

2023 Severe Weather

Well, at least it's not hot! ;lol Hoping you get some rain, soon.
Not hot and not humid. Other than the lack of rain, it has been a great summer.

This week we had some morning lows of 44 & 46, felt great working outside without any bugs. Today we have a slight chance of severe weather, the rains arrived about an hour ago and the rumbling has started just west of us.
2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.