2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some bad thunderstorms today. I used it as an excuse to get the kid to practice lighting the kero lamp.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Our rain gauge was reading just under a quarter of an inch, after this afternoons rain it is just over a half.

Tornado Warning;

I got 3" of rain yesterday (2" were within the span of about an hour). But others in the state got much worse. pics from yesterday's evening news.

2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

One of my town road collapses was caught on video and made it not only on the local news, but was ont he ABC news. Here is a picture from a different angel of that collapse

2023 Severe Weather

Yeah. Water’s been an issue here too. Roads and bridges out, wet basements, and rising lakes. I moved a lot of boats and ran a bunch of spring lines last weekend. I think I was in the water more this weekend than I have been in the last couple of years.

Reactions: bogieb
My kid is trying to mow the lawn. I raised the mowing height, but its still a lot of grass. I tossed a pack of twizzlers to her when I came home for lunch as bribery/sympathy, lol.

Five dead in my old stomping grounds of Washington's Crossing, named for the Christmas night crossing of the Delaware to invade Trenton in 1776.

I didn't realize my town was one of the severely impacted towns from Sunday's storms. But I took this pic off last nights local news. There I am, the lower left box.

2023 Severe Weather

Wolfeboro had 2 larger grocery stores. One burned down 7 months ago, the other flooded on Sunday.

I’m getting pretty sick of this rain.

Friends of ours in VT came home to 4+ feet of water in their basement.

I haven’t had anything like that, but I can’t dry mine out either.

.1 inches on June 20th. Now, over a month later we just got .05".

The next pipeline project up for debate may be for rain water, rather than oil.

Been wet here, not in any devastating way, but definitely more rain than we need or normally get.

I’m getting pretty sick of this rain.

Friends of ours in VT came home to 4+ feet of water in their basement.

I haven’t had anything like that, but I can’t dry mine out either.
We had a storm track through here after supper, more crazy azz lightning with heavy rains for about seven minutes.

It looks like this Thursday will be another day for severe storms that could produce flash flooding.

Strong to severe thunderstorms are possible on Thursday. These
thunderstorms could produce instances of flash flooding.

Excessive heat remains possible on Friday due to hot and humid
conditions. Maximum heat index values may rise into the low to mid
90s in valley locations.

Reactions: woodey
.1 inches on June 20th. Now, over a month later we just got .05".
That sucks, what are your average rainfall totals like in July?

Yesterday in seven minutes, we received 10 mm of rain or 0.394 inches, I just emptied out the rain gauge.

From AccuWeather.
2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

AccuWeather meteorologists warn that where slow-moving, heavy storms set up, rainfall totals of 1–2 inches with localized amounts of 3 inches could lead to a risk of flash flooding, especially in low-lying and poor drainage areas.

People in or traveling through the metro areas of New York City, Albany, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. will be at risk for heavy thunderstorms from Tuesday afternoon to Tuesday evening.

"Because of the vast amount of urbanization in these locations, the storms flood streets, highways and underpasses," Sosnowski said. "This alone can lead to major travel disruptions. And, as locally severe storms pass nearby the major airports, ground stops and flight delays are likely."

The bulk of the drenching storms are likely from 3-9 p.m., but there will be some exceptions, Sosnowski added.

There were storms rolling through central Pennsylvania first thing Tuesday morning. Some downpours with thunder and lightning are likely to linger well into the night along the immediate Atlantic coast.

Forecasters say residents planning to spend time outdoors in the areas at risk into Tuesday evening should closely monitor the weather forecast and be alert for changing conditions.

That sucks, what are your average rainfall totals like in July?
Average June rainfall is about 1.5" and July average is about .6". August sneaks back up to around an inch on average. Usually, that is toward the end of the month. This year we had light rain in late June for a total of 1.07" and now in July, .06" as of yesterday, with no more rain in the ten-day forecast.

The bad thing about a lot of rain and heat are the mosquitos. I remember a time in New Hampshire the weather was hot and rainy. We went camping and the mosquitos were relentless.

From AccuWeather.
2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

2023 Severe Weather

AccuWeather meteorologists warn that where slow-moving, heavy storms set up, rainfall totals of 1–2 inches with localized amounts of 3 inches could lead to a risk of flash flooding, especially in low-lying and poor drainage areas.

People in or traveling through the metro areas of New York City, Albany, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. will be at risk for heavy thunderstorms from Tuesday afternoon to Tuesday evening.

"Because of the vast amount of urbanization in these locations, the storms flood streets, highways and underpasses," Sosnowski said. "This alone can lead to major travel disruptions. And, as locally severe storms pass nearby the major airports, ground stops and flight delays are likely."

The bulk of the drenching storms are likely from 3-9 p.m., but there will be some exceptions, Sosnowski added.

There were storms rolling through central Pennsylvania first thing Tuesday morning. Some downpours with thunder and lightning are likely to linger well into the night along the immediate Atlantic coast.

Forecasters say residents planning to spend time outdoors in the areas at risk into Tuesday evening should closely monitor the weather forecast and be alert for changing conditions.
Now that’s funny! We didn’t receive any rain today! We’ll, some sprinkles after 5.

Thursday I’m going to be out on the Mass border. I hope it isn’t heavy rain.

Average June rainfall is about 1.5" and July average is about .6". August sneaks back up to around an inch on average. Usually, that is toward the end of the month. This year we had light rain in late June for a total of 1.07" and now in July, .06" as of yesterday, with no more rain in the ten-day forecast.
I wish some of this would hit your area.

It looks like Thursday will be a wet one for our area.

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Cloudy, with a high near 78. South wind 7 to 9 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Thursday I’m going to be out on the Mass border. I hope it isn’t heavy rain.
In previous years, I've mowed less in a combined three years than this year, I've stayed off the trails but I still have a bunch of trail work that needs doing before winter hits.

Nearly 3 inches this afternoon, in a completely un-forecast series of quick storms that rolled thru. Forecast was calling for no rain until 5pm, while it was coming down in buckets at 2pm. :rolleyes:

I'd send some of it your way if I could, begreen.

Our phones were all buzzing with Emergency Alerts during today's little rain storm, which seems to happen with every normal storm these days, to the point where people are just starting to ignore them when their phones go off. Hopefully the next legit emergency (Amber alert? tornado?) isn't just routinely ignored, due to such massive over-use of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.