2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My area got 8" of rain last night over about 4 hours. The tracks are where the ground used to be.
View attachment 315311
Back when I was in college, I had a job at a tubing and canoeing place on the Delaware river. One part of my job was hopping in a canoe and paddling upriver to chase paying customers off the water and back up to the road for bus retrieval, whenever a serious unexpected thunderstorm rolled through. So, I'd be out there in the middle of the river, paddling my heart out, and wondering why it was safe for me to be there if everyone else is supposed to get off the water.

These guys must be thinking about the same thing. "You say there's a sink hole? You say you want me to go stand there and prop up the tracks? It just happened, and no one knows the extent of subterranean erosion, yet? Uh, I'm not feeling well today, I'd better go back to bed."

Nothing severe for weather just another 15 mm of rain that started last night, it ended about an hour ago.

We mostly got rain but got woken up by a single massive lightning bolt around 12am. The power blinked. Then it was quiet again. Very odd.

We mostly got rain but got woken up by a single massive lightning bolt around 12am. The power blinked. Then it was quiet again. Very odd.
Same thing happened to me about 15 years ago, when I lived in a little historic village along a main road that had 15 kV lines atop the poles. Turns out it wasn't lightning at all, but one of those 15 kV lines coming down onto a neighbor's copper porch roof, and grounding thru their downspout. Sure sounded, looked, and even felt like a lightning strike, when it happened less than 100 feet from where I was laying my head.

Same thing happened to me about 15 years ago, when I lived in a little historic village along a main road that had 15 kV lines atop the poles. Turns out it wasn't lightning at all, but one of those 15 kV lines coming down onto a neighbor's copper porch roof, and grounding thru their downspout. Sure sounded, looked, and even felt like a lightning strike, when it happened less than 100 feet from where I was laying my head.
That did occur to me as a possibility. This sound rumbled and echoed through the sky like thunder. Far as I can tell it coincided exactly with the power blink, although I was asleep up until the sound woke me up. Power came back on immediately after. Today we got emails from our town offices informing us that their computer systems are down due to a power surge.

2023 Severe Weather

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Fall is finally getting ready to settle in. We had .25" of rain today. That's the most at one time in months. Looks like next week will be cool and rainy. Hope the tomatoes and peppers make it.

Reactions: thewoodlands
No frost this morning, we had 39.2 this morning.

We are under a tropical storm warning now. Predicting winds gusting to 45 and 3-4” of rain. I should go check the tarps on my stacks and roll my tomatoes tower garden back under the porch.

She’s trying to wrap a full eye. It seems Every storm this year had been stronger that forecast and or intensified more quickly. Tuesday was just a nor’easter.

2023 Severe Weather

Starting this Friday night through Sunday, Accu is calling for 2 inches of rain for this area, anyone else in for heavy rains?

Looks like passing showers on Friday and heavy rains on Saturday.

The kid was s supposed to do a car wash with her field hockey team Saturday .

I'm supposed to get another inch or two this weekend, it will go well with the over 8 inches I got last Friday - Saturday.

Looks like passing showers on Friday and heavy rains on Saturday.

The kid was s supposed to do a car wash with her field hockey team Saturday .
NOAA has us getting some heavy rains.
2023 Severe Weather

Yeah, we had some heavy rain down here. Luckily the field hockey game I had to watch ended just as the rain came in!

My basement stayed dry though!

Yeah, we had some heavy rain down here. Luckily the field hockey game I had to watch ended just as the rain came in!

My basement stayed dry though!
That's nice that you didn't get any water in the basement. It looks like Jefferson and Lewis counties are still seeing heavy rains along with some areas in the southern part of our county, it's still raining up here but nothing hard.

Hopefully the rivers and streams don’t overflow by too much.

It’s too bad this rain can’t come after Christmas. It’d do the north country good to have a really strong year of snow. Everything from the sled guys to the skiers would be thrilled!

It’s too bad this rain can’t come after Christmas. It’d do the north country good to have a really strong year of snow. Everything from the sled guys to the skiers would be thrilled!
I heard they had snow on Whiteface Mountain yesterday morning.

Hey look, somebody donated a boat to our parking area!

It’s a pretty cool little boat! Probably from the 50s. I like the covered bow, lol.

2023 Severe Weather

I heard Facebook found the owner lol. There was a mushroom anchor in the bow. I can’t imagine not tying a boat up, or at least deploying the anchor if I was going to leave for a bit.

What... no outboard? Ripoff!

For all I know there was one before it rained 4.5”! I have some nice 60s Evinrudes in the basement, lol. A 9.9 would roostertail behind that long and narrow of a runner!

Status
Not open for further replies.