2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I scoop the ashes out while the flue is still hot with the ash bucket right next to the stove. Most of the fly ash gets sucked back into the stove. Tilting the bucket the ashes are laid on the bottom of the bucket, never letting them fly through the air.
When I had to shovel, I used a shallow, long pan that I could hold directly under the bottom of the door. I got pretty good at sliding 'em off the shovel and laying them into the bottom of the pan with a minimum of dust. The grate and pan is easier, cleaner and quicker though.

Reactions: webby3650
Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to call around if you can pick it up. Here is some recent pricing in VA.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/installing-a-blaze-king-princess-insert-and-price.163817/

This was the thread I started. I ended up getting about 5-6 stove estimates (no install, just the stove), for the BK Princess Insert with the large shroud. The low was around 2800 and the high estimate was 3700, if my memory serves me. I contacted shops in VA, MD, WV, and PA I believe. If interested parties would like, I can go through my e-mails to find the shops that offered the best deals.

View attachment 222226
Seems like it would hold quite a bit. The Buck pan I pictured above is longer but much shallower. I could burn about three or four full loads, then I would have to pull the pan or risk ash spilling out the back.
Any way you can measure the opening? I realize it could be a few days before you want to let the stove burn down..got cold on us again, didn't it? :oops:
It sure did and it does not look like it is going to warm up any time soon! When it cools down enough I will check it.I am going to plug it in some manner at that time.Tonight I had more than that pan would hold in one shot...that included ashes and some coals..I am impatient by nature and the pan and shovel method works great for me...:) I was in no way shape or form trying to imply the ash pan and shovel method is a one size fits all....as it surely isn't for everyone...just relating my thoughts and experiences and preferences.

It sure did and it does not look like it is going to warm up any time soon! When it cools down enough I will check it.I am going to plug it in some manner at that time.Tonight I had more than that pan would hold in one shot...that included ashes and some coals..I am impatient by nature and the pan and shovel method works great for me...:) I was in no way shape or form trying to imply the ash pan and shovel method is a one size fits all....as it surely isn't for everyone...just relating my thoughts and experiences and preferences.
It comes with a plug... just leave it in place. Too bad, but practical to use it for something.

It comes with a plug... just leave it in place. Too bad, but practical to use it for something.
The plug is easy to snag...I would much prefer it be flush...I will check it out come spring.

The plug is easy to snag...I would much prefer it be flush...I will check it out come spring.

Grind the plug off or turn it upside down. A hack saw will remove the loop too.

I swear I signed up for this forum a few years ago, but being mostly a lurker, I just read more than posted. Well, doggone if I can log in under any of my usual credentials so I guess I'm a "new guy." Not new to wood burning, though. Anyway, figured I'd make my first post here and give my testimony. Grew up in a wood burning family so when my wife and I built the new house, we were for sure going to include a stove. I'd never heard of Blaze King until reading this very forum. I was intending to go with a Lopi Liberty or the Quadrafire 5700...but the ease of use touted by BK owners intrigued me and the more I read about it, the more convinced I became I had to have one of these stoves!

In looking for a dealer, I discovered there were only two in Minnesota...none near me. When the time drew close to actually buy the stove, low and behold a new dealer showed up in town! Turns out one of local stove dealers had just hired a new salesman and he brought with him the desire to become a Blaze King dealer. I'm pretty sure I have the very first Blaze King (Princess Ultra for sure) to be sold in Alexandria, MN. They had none on the showroom floor, and I never saw a BK in person until mine was delivered to our partially finished basement (thankfully, they brought it down the steps and didn't leave it in the entryway for me to haul). I bought this thing based entirely on the testimony of you folks...and boy am I glad I did. These stoves are as advertised!

Anyway, that was 4+ years ago and I sit typing this up with the stove, um, blazing away right around the corner. No low and slow tonight with the temps currently at 8 below. For the most part, I'm on a 12-hour burn cycle. Load in the evening for an overnight burn, and reload in the morning for the day shift. Depending on how diligent I am at burning down the coals, I can go a month without having to shovel out the ashes..yes, I use a shovel and pail rather than the ash pan.

Obviously, this stove won't heat the whole house evenly, so I supplement with an air source heat pump which runs down to -20 or so. I run the fan coil on low all season to circulate the air and it's a very comfortable HVAC combo. The stove qualifies me for an off-peak rate so I'm fully electric on the house, and my bill at worst is under $150 a month during the winter - no ugly Lp tank in the back yard. If electric rates spike...well, maybe I'll shed a tear, but it's a great set-up right now.

I know these stoves are expensive and not everyone wants to lay down 2 or 3 G's for a heater, but for the life of me I can't figure out why everybody doesn't go for a stove that is so easy to operate. This thing is as much set-and-forget as a wood stove can be and I'm a believer!!

When my budget-minded brother-in-law built his house this summer, I did everything I could to convince him to get a BK rather than a $900 Drolet from Menards. Wouldn't you know he surprised me when he showed me his Sirocco install. He's a wise man. And it sounds like my father-in-law may follow suit when it comes time to replace his aging stove. Word of mouth advertising is alive and well, here.

Take care,

Kyle Sands <>< Brandon, MN

For a short time there was a tech from Lopi on here. I’m afraid I ran him off...;hm

Maybe it was when you started responding to / quoting your own posts. [emoji12]

Yeah, the ashpan works really well. All of you who choose not to even try, too bad... I’ve had a bunch of stoves, this system is at the top of my list for usability and cleanliness.

I liked Jotul’s grate system far better than any ash plug system. But, it’s also way more likely to leak and fail, and it may be impossible to hit 24+ hour burn times on a grate system. When comparing the burn rate range performance of BK to... well, any other stove on earth, there’s such a huge gap that I wouldn’t even consider the ash pan system part of the decision making process.

I burn my BKs on days where the high temp might peak in the mid 70’s, and get away with loading every 36 hours with constant active cat in the shoulder seasons. No other stove will do that; superior ash systems matter much less, to those of us who have actual experience with this.

Sure, you can try to imagine how it will work without ever trying it, but once you actually try it you figure out how to do it efficiently..

Oh, my, my......um......."try to imagine"????

You mean....just like you IMAGINE....DAILY HERE.... how BK's are to operate/own/etc.etc.etc. WITHOUT EVER OWNING ONE ???

So much so that you comment regularly as if you have one and know all of the ins and outs regarding their operation/performance/EFFICIENCY/etc.....or that you've ran enough "other" stoves to simply "know" how they run WITHOUT EVER TRYING ONE??

IMAGINE???
Like THAT?

Dude...give it a rest.

Cast Iron ash grate vs brick bottomed. The ash grate is a vary easy way to de-ash. The ash door has one more gasket to be a problem. The cast iron absorbs a significant amount of heat at low fire. You end up transferring the ashes twice, once to the pan and once again to an aging bucket. The brick bottomed stove reflects heat back into the stove permitting day+ burns and de-ashing using the below deck pan or direct scooping is easy too. I vote for the extreme burn time.

I did not buy it for a ash pan..

I had to laugh at this. We didn't buy our Princesses for the ash pan either....but in the BK brochure the stove shown as a "Princess" Parlor certainly has an ash pan in place. Early on in the search for a stove....my wife saw the "squiggly" metal detail of the ash pan in the picture of the Princess and commented specifically that she like the look of it. Gotta love her...unlike some other wives....she likes this stove all the way around and said "we've had the PRETTY stove that didn't work" when I told her of the "ugly" comments here from some folks...LOL) Yup. Truth.

Kinda like that Wash DC spokesman lady on TV....without the make up (ash pan)...she wouldn't be the LOOKER she truly is....know what I'm sayin'?

Bwhahahahaha

I had to laugh at this. We didn't buy our Princesses for the ash pan either....but in the BK brochure the stove shown as a "Princess" Parlor certainly has an ash pan in place. Early on in the search for a stove....my wife saw the "squiggly" metal detail of the ash pan in the picture of the Princess and commented specifically that she like the look of it. Gotta love her...unlike some other wives....she likes this stove all the way around and said "we've had the PRETTY stove that didn't work" when I told her of the "ugly" comments here from some folks...LOL) Yup. Truth.

Kinda like that Wash DC spokesman lady on TV....without the make up (ash pan)...she wouldn't be the LOOKER she truly is....know what I'm sayin'?

Bwhahahahaha
@MtnBURN, you're a lucky guy, with a wife like that. But I don't think looks and function need to be mutually exclusive. I want both.

2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you found a picture of my wife! Hate when she uses my chainsaw...

Reactions: Ashful
LOL... in truth I own a oleo- Mac gs650 and the wife a little Alpina C25.
It’s true anyway that she helps a lot with that tiny chainsaw!

Bwhahahahaha
lol....I hear ya!

Reactions: MtnBURN
When I settled on the stove I wanted to buy it was a BK....I did not want a ash pan period but it was standard on the Ultra and it took the Ultra decked out to be legal and accepted by my insurance company for a manufactured home and I wanted a pedestal stove. Like I said before I tried the ash pan and it is pathetically small for the size of stove it resides in IMO..a 6.5 deep by 8.5 wide pan is not very much when you are in the deep of winter pushing a stove I assure you...larger ash pan? I would probably use it but then again I did not buy it for a ash pan..
Ya, i've only used my ash pan once, but it was pretty slick. Guess that's the benefit of burning jack pine! I love that i don't have to empty this stove hardly at all. Also, back into minus 40*C-ville here - I love the heat from this stove!

...."try to imagine"????....You mean....just like you IMAGINE....DAILY HERE.... how BK's are to operate/own/etc.etc.etc. WITHOUT EVER OWNING ONE ???....you comment regularly as if you have one and know all of the ins and outs regarding their operation/performance/EFFICIENCY/etc.....or that you've ran enough "other" stoves to simply "know" how they run....
I don't imagine that I know exactly what it would be like to run a BK in my situation. There's also nothing in your signature to indicate that you've run any other stoves, cat or not, so I don't guess you'd know how similar your BK would be to other cat stove. Because I don't know exactly what my experience running a BK here would be, I ask a ton of questions on this thread. But what's the usual response? Precious few answers, mostly the now-legendary BK-thread chirping crickets, or an attack rant. ;hm I'll admit, I've brought the rants on myself on due to some of my snarky comments, which rub some people the wrong way if they don't realize it a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek and good-natured ribbing. It might be evident that I can take as good as I give, by some of the "likes" I dish out. Ribbing is hard to convey when typing on the internet, so I'm trying to tone that down and not piss off as many of my fellow stove brethren. ==c
I have the pan....but as I've said previously...never use it.... After I got the stove(s) and saw the plug system/etc...I instantly couldn't see fiddling with the hot plug....emptying the ashes ....and then taking/leaving the ash pan outside in the snow overnight to let it cool before dumping it
That was my point. You've "never used it," so you are imagining what it would be like. If it was as much of a PIA as you are describing, no one would ever use an ash pan! You have to get in there and try it, perfect the process, then decide it's for you. I've described how I do it. Your response...cricket chirps.
once you actually try it you figure out how to do it efficiently.
What I do is dump the ash into the pan, then let the pan sit in the stove for a day or two...or more with a deep-bellied stove. Then you pull the pan after any coals in it have burned down, when it's pretty cool. Then take it outside and dump it into the can, bring pan back to the stove.
have you actually tried using ashpan?
Honestly, no. I've/we've always had an ash bucket.
OK, at least beca says she's never done anything other than shovel 'em out.
Your response to webby's question...more crickets, so we can assume that you have never done anything other than shovel. Maybe this is your first stove, there's nothing in your signature to indicate otherwise.
I'm an experimenter and a tweaker, I'm always open to discovering a better way. You've got a BK with a pan in your house, and don't even experiment with it. I don't get it.
But as I've said, if you wanna shovel 'em out, go ahead. All these differences really don't amount to a hill of beans..we all run our stoves and stay warm. It's not like we live somewhere in the world where we are in a fight for survival, just getting enough food and clean water, or our infrastructure has been wiped out by a hurricane or a 'quake. We might get our chance to see what it's like soon enough, though.. !!!

I tried the ash pan and it is pathetically small for the size of stove it resides in IMO..a 6.5 deep by 8.5 wide pan is not very much when you are in the deep of winter pushing a stove I assure you...larger ash pan? I would probably use it
Yeah, with that huge belly in your stove it's not all gonna fit at once. Shoveling out occasionally might be less messing around for you than having to more often take a pan outside and dump it. That's gotta take a while shoveling out a full belly though, and it might end up being a similar amount of messing around in the long run. Me, I always found it to be a lot of messing around, shoveling out into a shallow pan and trying to minimize the amount of dust that inevitably escapes. Shoveling into a bucket means less trips outside but I found it to be harder to contain the dust than shoveling into a shallow pan, where the dust created is right at the bottom of the door opening, and seemed to get sucked in better.
Depending on how diligent I am at burning down the coals, I can go a month without having to shovel out the ashes..yes, I use a shovel and pail rather than the ash pan...I supplement with an air source heat pump which runs down to -20 or so.
That's the BK big-belly advantage, right there. ;)
Ya, I'm hoping the mini-split that I'll eventually get, will work at lower outdoor temps. Not that it gets super-cold here...it would be a long, long time, maybe never, before it got to -20 in our neck of the woods.
have you actually tried using ashpan?
So are the other BK ash dumps as easy at the one on your Princess? Are they all the same size?
Besides, who wants to get ashes in the cinnamon rolls?
What do you use to prevent your buns sticking to the pan, some of that Sangre de Crisco? ;)
does not look like it is going to warm up any time soon!
I don't know if that woodchuck in Punxsutawney is gonna his shadow when he sticks his head out of his hole, but I bet we're looking at six more weeks of winter here. !!!
When it cools down enough I will check it....I was in no way shape or form trying to imply the ash pan and shovel method is a one size fits all....as it surely isn't for everyone...just relating my thoughts and experiences and preferences.
Now that's an open-minded response. ;)
I liked Jotul’s grate system far better than any ash plug system. But, it’s also way more likely to leak and fail, and it may be impossible to hit 24+ hour burn times on a grate system.
Well, I got my stove at the end of 2010 and I've never adjusted the ash door or replaced the gasket. I just now did a dollar-bill test on it...tight as a drum. Not that it makes any difference in my case..my stove has a 1/4" hole in the back of the ash pan housing to burn down the load in the back of the stove more evenly. I've never experimented with partially blocking that hole in an attempt to burn longer but it's something I could do at some point if I wanted.
When comparing the burn rate range performance of BK to... well, any other stove on earth, there’s such a huge gap
Yeah, there sure is a gap in those burn rate ranges. Looks like the BKs have a range of a little over 20K BTU/hr. or less, while the Woodstocks are around 30K or more. Just doin' my job here, dispelling the fake news. ;lol

Blaze King Industries, Inc. Ashford 30.1 (AF30.1), Chinook 30.1 (CK30.1), Sirocco 30.1 (SC30.1) 0.80 6100-28600
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Chinook /Sirocco/Ashford 30 0.97 11200-27300
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Chinook / Sirocco/Ashford 20 1.3 11400-22700
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Sirocco SC25, Ashford AF25, Boxer 24 (BX24) 0.9 10097–26290
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Ashford 20.1, Chinook 20.1, Sirocco 20.1 1.3 8822-27550
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Blaze King King Catalytic KEJ 1107 1.8 9100-39800
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Princess Insert PI 1010A 2.0 7200-29500
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Princess 35 PE35 2.1 9200-29600
Blaze King Industries, Inc. Princess PEJ 1006 2.4 12000-35600

Woodstock Soapstone Company, Inc. Absolute Steel Hybrid 211 o.5 14,426-45,317
Woodstock Soapstone Company, Inc. Ideal Steel Hybrid 210 1.0 12300-57000
Woodstock Soapstone Company, Inc. Progress Hybrid Soapstone Stove #209 1.3 12500-73200
Woodstock Soapstone Company, Inc. Catalytic Fireview Soapstone Stove #205 1.4 10900-42900
Woodstock Soapstone Company, Inc. Paladian 202, Keystone 204 1.9 8500-35000

I burn my BKs on days where the high temp might peak in the mid 70’s, and get away with loading every 36 hours with constant active cat in the shoulder seasons.
Well, that's great for you in your stone ice cube of a house but most of the rest of us quit burning when it gets into the 60s. ==c

Kinda like that Wash DC spokesman lady on TV....without the make up (ash pan)...she wouldn't be the LOOKER she truly is
Sounds like more fake news. ;)
@MtnBURNI don't think looks and function need to be mutually exclusive. I want both.

View attachment 222247
Watch it, that post may end up in a "Hot, inked chain saw women with no protective gear" thread in the Inglenook, like the chickens did. ;lol
I wouldn't admit that. Owning a Husqvarna, I mean.
I wouldn't mind owning a Husky, but around here, living amongst all these Dutchmen in Indiana, you are gonna drive past four Stihl dealers before you get to a place that sells Husky. ;lol

Last edited:
Back in the 60s, I had a Craftsman chain saw. It needed a new pull rope every 5 tanks. Modern chain saws-with electronic ignition- are great.

Back to BKs: Does any other wood stove claim to have the same as or longer burn time than a BK?

Back to BKs: Does any other wood stove claim to have the same as or longer burn time than a BK?
I doubt it but if they did claim that, it would be more fake news. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.