2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have 23 hrs out of one of my stoves and the other can go till tonight with what is left in there. BK are not the only stoves that can burn that ......... WAIT A MINUTE:oops:
They are both BLAZE KINGS;lol;lol;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Twigster
I burn my BKs on days where the high temp might peak in the mid 70’s, and get away with loading every 36 hours with constant active cat in the shoulder seasons.
Holy turkeys! When it's 70* F here I'm in a tank top and gitch, starfished on the lawn trying not to overheat! What are you doing running your stove when it's this hot out! :)
Your shoulder season is my red hot summer!!!! :)

Holy turkeys! When it's 70* F here I'm in a tank top and gitch, starfished on the lawn trying not to overheat! What are you doing running your stove when it's this hot out! :)
Pictures.....or it never happened....lol

Reactions: Ashful
A few things to note, here.

1. I said "where the high temp might peak in the mid 70’s", as in a day with 50F low and 75F high. With the BK's, one load carries me 24+ hours, at these temps. So, I just load and let them roll right thru.

2. Most of my house was built in the mid-1700's, and has 20" thick stone walls. They hold somewhere between ground temp (53F in winter) and average daily outside air temp. On the aforementioned 50/75F spring day, my interior wall temps might be in the high 50F's all day long. Not exactly winter, but not tank top temperature, either.

Reactions: Alpine1
Same here... in spring, it’s usually warmer outside!

A few things to note, here.
1. I said "where the high temp might peak in the mid 70’s", as in a day with 50F low and 75F high. With the BK's, one load carries me 24+ hours, at these temps. So, I just load and let them roll right thru.

2. Most of my house was built in the mid-1700's, and has 20" thick stone walls. They hold somewhere between ground temp (53F in winter) and average daily outside air temp. On the aforementioned 50/75F spring day, my interior wall temps might be in the high 50F's all day long. Not exactly winter, but not tank top temperature, either.

3. The Stony Tomb Of The Dwarf-King has its own weather patterns, unrelated to the mundane weather of the mortal realm. Those who have trodden here and survived... were not of the clan Jo-tul.

43/71 here, burning a half load.

43/71 here, burning a half load.
If it goes in the low 40s at night I'm probably burning. But then the highs might just barely hit 60. Not a lot of 30 degree temp swings like in the arid west and southwest.

3. The Stony Tomb Of The Dwarf-King has its own weather patterns, unrelated to the mundane weather of the mortal realm. Those who have trodden here and survived... were not of the clan Jo-tul.
If you ever visited this house, you would be very underwhelmed. Not a hint of haunting, here.

Here 48/75. Lowest will be 36 around 5 or 6 o'clock with highs low 60s during daytime. Half a load tonight just on one stove will make the trick;).

We're hanging around 50º, no burning today or tonight. I put the lemon tree outside. Spring is coming.

Big group of cranes heading north this morning. Hummmm.
Can winter be over?

Reactions: Poindexter
-14/+4 (Celsius) here... Sadly, winter isn’t over. Yet.

Not even close to being over here...they are forecasting this type of weather for a month out..

Attachments

• 2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)
    IMG_3153.PNG
    63.6 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: Woody Stover
In the low 20s here, with wind off of the water (as always.) Low tonight in the teens, with wind off of the water (as always.)

Current wind chill at 14'F.

yes, spring is here.

1. Made it through another January in Alaska, winter is over. After winter, spring.
2. Temps are consistently up in the single digits for daytime highs. Spring.
3. The cranes are coming. Takes about 6 weeks for them to get here from NM, maybe ten weeks. Spring.
4. Gaining seven minutes of daylight every day - spring.
5. AQ burn ban @-16dF Spring. If it was -30dF or colder (winter) I could run my wood stove at our current PM2.5 readings.

Tomorrow I shall put some dryer lint on the back deck so the cat can bird watch out the sliding glass door.

I don't know, it still looks cold in Alaska, and NW Ontario. I like the dryer lint idea!
2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

Reactions: Ashful
We're hanging around 50º, no burning today or tonight.
Livin' large he is, with two sources of heat. ;lol
yes, spring is here...The cranes are coming. Takes about 6 weeks for them to get here from NM, maybe ten weeks.
What do they do with the cranes, clean up all the debris, flotsam and jetsam from stuff that exploded due to extreme low temps? ;)

Can winter be over?

No, they just seen the national weather forecast and realized it was warmer up there.;lol

Reactions: lsucet
Can winter be over?

WHAT "Winter"? Things are bordering on critical here. The 55 degree days on end have been nice...but it's getting harder and harder to enjoy them because I know what's gonna happen if we don't get some moisture. I've never seen it this dry for this long...in what should be our snowiest months.

Talk about an "overfire". The entire West is setting up for a very epic fire year if something doesn't change before "Summer" rolls around.

And those long range forecasts just don't look good at all.

Extreme cold warning in effect for my neck of the woods - currently -24*C, calling for overnight of -39*C. Question for you folks - do your stove crack and moan sometimes? I would expect some popping and snapping noises from a cold stove warming up, but sometimes when i'm hours into a burn, all of a sudden my stove will startle me with a "pop". Normal cracking of the metal bits? I was just napping on the couch, and a couple of doozies woke me from my slumber so I thought i'd see if it's a common occurrence among other users?

Status
Not open for further replies.