2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Extreme cold warning in effect for my neck of the woods - currently -24*C, calling for overnight of -39*C. Question for you folks - do your stove crack and moan sometimes? I would expect some popping and snapping noises from a cold stove warming up, but sometimes when i'm hours into a burn, all of a sudden my stove will startle me with a "pop". Normal cracking of the metal bits? I was just napping on the couch, and a couple of doozies woke me from my slumber so I thought i'd see if it's a common occurrence among other users?

Not for me. I get plenty of creak ping pop warming up and cooling down, but none at a steady temp.

Reactions: MissMac
Question for you folks - do your stove crack and moan sometimes? I would expect some popping and snapping noises from a cold stove warming up, but sometimes when i'm hours into a burn, all of a sudden my stove will startle me with a "pop". Normal cracking of the metal bits? I was just napping on the couch, and a couple of doozies woke me from my slumber so I thought i'd see if it's a common occurrence among other users?
It was mostly load-and-leave for me at my MIL's with the Buck 91, so I don't know how many times it happened when I wasn't there, but once it made a pretty loud bang. I though maybe a weld had cracked, but examined it the best I could and found nothing. I emailed Buck, and they said it was probably a plate-steel side of the firebox flexing when cooling off. That made sense to me when I thought about it because what I heard wasn't as "sharp" a tone as I would expect from a weld letting go..more like banging on the side of the box with a rubber mallet.
That's with the 1/4" firebox of the Buck; It might be more likely to happen with your 9/64" walls but I don't recall seeing it mentioned here..

Last edited:
Spring is in March. I call the current season “mud”. I live in a river valley, my firewood is in the lower corner of the lot, and I just finished moving another cord up to the house. Although it’s only 20F outside today, it’s sunny, and the frozen top soil just turns to mud under the tires when crossing it with a 5000 lb. trailer full of firewood.

ya i was a little more on the downhill side of a load then i thought upon further inspection - so maybe a cooling down like @jetsam suggested. i've got this puppy wide open - a tropical 28*C in my living room to combat the 40 below outside. glorious! not the first time that i've heard these noises so i doubt it's a weld @Woody Stover . i'm sure i'd be noticing other things if a weld let go. cats are telling me to put more wood in the stove :)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Extreme cold warning in effect for my neck of the woods - currently -24*C, calling for overnight of -39*C. Question for you folks - do your stove crack and moan sometimes? I would expect some popping and snapping noises from a cold stove warming up, but sometimes when i'm hours into a burn, all of a sudden my stove will startle me with a "pop". Normal cracking of the metal bits? I was just napping on the couch, and a couple of doozies woke me from my slumber so I thought i'd see if it's a common occurrence among other users?
There are baffles inside the firebox..they seem to be moaning. No worries. See if you can tell which baffle, left or right is doing it.

There are baffles inside the firebox..they seem to be moaning. No worries. See if you can tell which baffle, left or right is doing it.
Well, he asked if others had experienced "moaning" but later described the noise as a "pop," loud enough to wake him up.

I will try and pay attention, but that might be a shot in the dark - think i'd have to just happen to be right next to the stove when it happens in order to tell. is there a potential issue if i'm having this noise that i should inspect my stove for?

Mine has never heat popped. My old cast iron bolted together stove popped a lot. The steel cat does go tink-tink at startup. That is how I determine if it has gone active or not after the bypass closure.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Mine has never heat popped. My old cast iron bolted together stove popped a lot. The steel cat does go tink-tink at startup. That is how I determine if it has gone active or not after the bypass closure.
ya i know the tink-tink noise you're talking about, but that's not it - i get some real doozy pops that are pretty loud and startling.

ya i know the tink-tink noise you're talking about, but that's not it - i get some real doozy pops that are pretty loud and startling.
We've had one or two big ones in the first month we had the stove, nothing since.

In the same boat, never really thought to look into it though, I get some out of the blue loud pops, sometimes they sound solid, other times a little hollow, like hitting an upside down metal pail.

In the same boat, never really thought to look into it though, I get some out of the blue loud pops, sometimes they sound solid, other times a little hollow, like hitting an upside down metal pail.
ya, that's about it - nice to hear that other folks experience that too. thanks

In other BK news, I took some ash out of the stove today, loaded her up an went off my merry way, @Ashful I have some pics of framing from an old train station that had one of those long rectangular covered roofs on single centered monopoles as the main support posts, might be useful for your woodshed idea you spoke about a year ago.

Reactions: Ashful
I get the occasional metal ping as well...i have never had a stove that didn't...so its normal..:)

Reactions: tarzan and MissMac
I get a louder bang pretty much every time the stove heats up or cools down quick. It's either the flame shield or the bybass "adjusting" I think. Wish I could Record it. It's pretty darn loud.

In other BK news, I took some ash out of the stove today, loaded her up an went off my merry way, @Ashful I have some pics of framing from an old train station that had one of those long rectangular covered roofs on single centered monopoles as the main support posts, might be useful for your woodshed idea you spoke about a year ago.

King post?

King post?
I guess, don't know the slang terms, the pic is on my work phone so it will have to wait until Monday, the structure looks like it was once 75ft long with 4 centered posts, a angled or inverted octagon on each post with a ridge beam down the center and 2 beams on either side to support the rafters and create that a frame look, no posts on the side, all supported by the king posts

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/12139296773_e9b8f9989d_b.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
How about stainless steel liner moving or expanding make a noise

I get a louder bang pretty much every time the stove heats up or cools down quick. It's either the flame shield or the bybass "adjusting" I think. Wish I could Record it. It's pretty darn loud.
Sure is loud! I ran a load on high in the wee hours this morning now that we're firmly in minus 40*C territory, and it was clanging every 4-5 minutes - 2 hours into the burn. @BKVP suggested maybe a baffle? it'd be nice if the stove wasn't making so much noise, but i am so thankful for the wood heat right now - in this kind of weather the propane furnace doesn't even really shut off!

any one had to replace a bypass gasket, glass gasket, door gasket. wondering how long they go before replacement is needed

any one had to replace a bypass gasket, glass gasket, door gasket. wondering how long they go before replacement is needed
You periodically check your gaskets with the dollar bill test, I have had my BK for 4 season and only adjusted the door latch twice and the by-pass handle once. I may need to change with gaskets in a year or two.

The glass gasket should last along time but to replace it you must replace the door gasket so check it when replacing the door gasket. Lots of us have changed the door gasket as it is the most important, most prone to wear, and most easily improperly installed by the factory. The bypass gasket is a bugger to replace and I’ve only rarely seen anybody do it. It’s just not that critical.

Get blaze king gaskets! The density is “special”.

Reactions: MissMac
Status
Not open for further replies.