Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I got my first 3/4 face cord of beech score in May or so. It's been stacked outside (no cover) as my shed was full.
My plan was to put it in the shed after this winter.
I hope that having 4 year old beech is not going to be less than having 1-2 year old beech?

I got my first 3/4 face cord of beech score in May or so. It's been stacked outside (no cover) as my shed was full.
My plan was to put it in the shed after this winter.
I hope that having 4 year old beech is not going to be less than having 1-2 year old beech?
As long as it's solid it should be a dream

Been burning on the cool nights in MD but this week is warm. Re-upped my pile underneath my deck from my 7 cord stash at my friend’s farm . Have some oak to split in the foreground too.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Work Done 2024
    IMG_0637.webp
    395.4 KB · Views: 12
Did a bit of bucking yesterday. Hand split the recent dead ash load and some of the red oak that beat me up LOL.
The ash ends are checkering nicely and have that dry tone to them. The oak is sitting paciently for me to give it a stacked resting place ...... for 3 yrs. I've never seasoned oak more than 2yrs before. This will be a half face cord treat.

Today is quite windy and it's rag weed season. My lungs don't like it. Haven't gone out yet, but I might. It's been dry which makes the rag weed season bad. Last year was plenty wet and it barely bothered me. Splitter rental is reserved and paid for Sat and Sun. I need to buy my own splitter so I can keep up with the wood, and bring even more home.

Cord sales will be in my future.

Just got a call for half day of climbing tomorrow. Right next door to where I got the recent oak. This job is more oak ..... more coming home.
I really need to get my 1 ton dump truck going. Could bring home 3x the wood and an easy unload.

I didn't work in the Brook yesterday, when I rolled out of bed my sinuses were really bothering me so the last thing I wanted in my hands was a chainsaw. Today I was much better so in the Brook I went, on my first trip over I was carrying the chainsaw (not running) I went from waist high water into deeper water, that's when I found my first slippery rock. Down I went up over my shoulders but I had the chainsaw above my head so that was good, I'll take a different route next time.

Everything went great until after I had a few waters with a granola bar, back down in the Brook I went. I cut up what was left of a Hemlock and then shut the saw off. I was in some deep water for our Brook so I put the saw up over my head, about my third step I found another slick rock, down goes Frazier, the water was up above my shoulders again but the saw never touched the water, I looked up at the wife when I recovered, dang......she was laughing. I took care of the rounds and then called it a day for working in the Brook.

Later on we put in two loads of pine.

Warm down this way lately. Hows it up there? Bet the water is a bit chilly.
Nice fire to dry out by. ;)
Go easy, my friend.
We were in the 70's today, my first spill in that frigid water had the old heart going pretty good. I might finish up tomorrow but the high temp should only be around 48.

No fire today, maybe tonight but it has been pretty dry out and we're supposed to get some good wind gust so maybe we'll just go with the propane fireplace tonight along with running the furnace a few times before I call it a night.

I'll do that, I'm glad I was in deep water both times I slipped.

The Brook will wait until next week when it warms up some, maybe I'll spend time cutting something today.

Reactions: all night moe
We were in the 70's today, my first spill in that frigid water had the old heart going pretty good. I might finish up tomorrow but the high temp should only be around 48.

No fire today, maybe tonight but it has been pretty dry out and we're supposed to get some good wind gust so maybe we'll just go with the propane fireplace tonight along with running the furnace a few times before I call it a night.

I'll do that, I'm glad I was in deep water both times I slipped.
So did you have to carry the rounds out over your head too while crossing the brook?!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Had the day off today, finished splitting what I bought several weeks ago. It was split, but not nearly enough I.M.O.
Will see if the guy I bought it from has more, I will need it.

I haven't used the wood stove for several days. it's been the 70s, I think it hit 80º. It may be 80º here on Halloween, crazy.

Reactions: Jonathco
Splitter Fest

Day 1: Was half hour past my schedule picking up the rental splitter. Grabbed 5gal of gas on the way too. After getting splitter home, the festive began. Split the rest of the red oak, I recently brought home, 1st. That got stacked off to the side. Nice half cord single stack. Next, the main pile got tag teamed. My girlfriends nephew, helped from the beginning. He's living with us too now. He left at noon to go pick up his daughter. About an hour after that, my girl's 22yr old son came out. He hustled in the beginning then grabbed the easy route and hogged the valve control. Hour later, he disappeared into the house for a half hour plus. Within this time the nephew came back after I worked solo for awhile. We kept the splitter chugging away. i too k 3 or 4 five minute breaks during this period Each time, I topped off the gas tank. Her son finally comes back out giving the splitter a good run till dusk. I used a little remaining daylight to split up a few more rounds.

About 1/3 of the pile is split up and piled in the driveway. I'm estimating It's about 4 cord done. Possibly a bit more. The left side of the horseshoe driveway, is blocked off again. Tomorrows event should be a bit easier and faster. The splitter will be a little closer to the rounds. Today we worked around a couple black walnut, money logs, ready to get milled.

To be continued.....