Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Another none firewood work day, I hooked up the trail mower to the Rhino and then did the trails. I used it to knock down the long grass in our yard, after I did that, the push mower gave me some good exercise.

The Pork Roast with mashed potatoes will taste good tonight for supper.

I was going to drive 3+ hours north into the middle of Idaho into the Sawtooth mountains to load up 2 cords of pine. The Forester tells me the logs have been decked. Pink is ok for firewood but blue is for lumber sales. I bought a 4-cord permit ($25). I always head south into the mountains because it is closer. This would have been a new experience - very rugged and wild (north = Grizzly bears, south = black bears). The cost of gas would have been high $. I checked Grizzlies are in 2 places in Idaho, 1) over by Yellowstone Park, and 2) up at the top in the panhandle. So, I would be ok in the central part of Idaho.

At the last minute I checked FB, and someone posted 'free wood' - it was only 30 miles away. A change of plans, I loaded up on 1.75 cords of wet elm. It was already cut to 16" - that was easy. The tree guy came back on site to cut a big 12' high trunk. I'm guessing this big wood will still be there for a few days but someone might get it. So maybe another smaller load.

I also spent 2- or 3-hours pitching wood around my driveway. I don't stack it anymore because, 1) I'm out in the country, 2) the air moisture content is about 10%, and 3) the wood dries in a pile here just fine. And I don't bother to cover the piles either. It rains very little and gets really hot so there is no point. I cut some wet Doug Fir 3 months ago and a freshly split face cut is now reading 17% on the moisture meter. It's like a kiln here in the summer.

Last edited:
I was going to drive 3+ hours north into the middle of Idaho into the Sawtooth mountains to load up 2 cords of pine. The Forester tells me the logs have been decked. Pink is ok for firewood but blue is for lumber sales. I bought a 4-cord permit ($25). I always head south into the mountains because it is closer. This would have been a new experience - very rugged and wild (north = Grizzly bears, south = black bears). The cost of gas would have been high $. I checked Grizzlies are in 2 places in Idaho, 1) over by Yellowstone Park, and 2) up at the top in the panhandle. So, I would be ok in the central part of Idaho.

At the last minute I checked FB, and someone posted 'free wood' - it was only 30 miles away. A change of plans, I loaded up on 1.75 cords of wet elm. It was already cut to 16" - that was easy. The tree guy came back on site to cut a big 12' high trunk. I'm guessing this big wood will still be there for a few days but someone might get it. So maybe another smaller load.

I also spent 2- or 3-hours pitching wood around my driveway. I don't stack it anymore because, 1) I'm out in the country, 2) the air moisture content is about 10%, and 3) the wood dries in a pile here just fine. And I don't bother to cover the piles either. It rains very little and gets really hot so there is no point. I cut some wet Doug Fir 3 months ago and a freshly split face cut is now reading 17% on the moisture meter. It's like a kiln here in the summer.
Sweet score. I got some free elm this year too it definitely made me think about getting a splitter......

Reactions: clancey
This weekend, I did some chores, wood related...
Fixed (riveted) my stove pipe to the snout as it was supported by concrete of the wall, which broke out; that concrete had been added later to close a 2" gap around the pipe, and evidently did not adhere well to the wall because the gap had gotten "dirty" from creosote and or rust due to a leak in the pipe. That was all before I bought the place, and the cementing in of the pipe had happened too before I got here.

It's sturdy now. I'll stuff some rockwool in and cover with mortar later.

And work "on" wood, though no firewood. I replaced the stairs from the sunroom to the yard.

Reactions: clancey
Working like little beavers and this is good. Stoveliker: Did you buy a new property, or was that from long ago? Just curious. Glad you built those steps going to the sun room..That's a chore that is now finished for you--good for you...Woodland--keep working for you need to lose a few more pounds--lol...Nice day here but rain tonight and its about 72 degrees right now...The cooler air is refreshing but the air is bad from the fires...clancey

Hi @clancey ; I bought the property 7 years ago. But the mortar that the previous folks had put in where the stove pipe goes thru the wall had cracked and fallen out recently. They had not done a good job previously, so we're improving it now.

Sounds like a good plan to me and in some of these houses that are on the market displaying the stove--I just wonder how people take care of them and the stack as well. Thanks..clancey

This thing has been in my way of where I shoot. It's almost too nice of an oak log for firewood but I don't know if it can be gotten out.
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

The upside I was finally able to pull the frozen hitch out of the receiver on the buggy. The downside I found a yellow jacket nest under the stump when I started pulling on it. They were not very happy it seems.

I'm in the process of loading a trailer and pickup bed with all of the weird wood I have and selling it for $30. This is years of wood that isn't up to snuff for some reason - cutoffs, wouldn't split, crotches, too long, etc... I figure maybe someone who is retired on a fixed income may be interested. There is some nice dry wood in this pile. Some of it just needs a little work.
IMG_20240816_070536.jpg

Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024
I was able to get a hold of a couple more truck loads of wood, from the township garage. I ended up having some storm damage this past week with the tornadoes that came through my area. After working storm for the last week I was able to clean up the trees at my place. With the storms that went through here there is plenty of firewood available to be cleaned up.

View attachment 329021View attachment 329022View attachment 329023
I was able to get a hold of a couple more truck loads of wood, from the township garage. I ended up having some storm damage this past week with the tornadoes that came through my area. After working storm for the last week I was able to clean up the trees at my place. With the storms that went through here there is plenty of firewood available to be cleaned up.
Nice work @heavy hammer , it looks like you have some nice size rounds.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Forgot to post these last week. Still splitting wood up north. We have burned about half of what I split maybe more since May. I have since cut down about 8 more trees. Progress so far over the course of about 3 weeks including wood stacked in the back ground

IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

The rain finally stopped but since it's still very wet in the woods, I decided that some of the junk firewood pile we had near the fireplace would get smaller. The first picture is when the fire was starting out, in the second picture you can see a small pine branch just behind the seat I use for splitting, the wood pile was out to that. The last picture is what I think is bear scat just off our driveway, our neighbors had one in the middle of there driveway this morning.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Since it was a cool morning, I decided that the wife's car would get washed.....done.

My wife and kids just washed our car - with me working in my home office and the windows open.
To paraphrase my dad: I love work; I can listen to it for hours >>

We just got home from a week on the road. The wife was mumbling about washing the runner. I'll do the roof and hood. She can't reach them

I brought back bearings for the axel I popped when I got into the back of the property. Guess I should work on the path after I do the buggy.

Tomorrow is supposed to be stunning, gonna Ride all day......

I’ve been working some large red oak rounds the past week. I added a thumb to my tractor over the winter so I’ve gotta use it, right?
Large rounds make a ton of splits, without hydraulics on my side these would be completely unmanageable. I usually stray far away from pieces like these, but free and dropped off at my splitting area put me over the edge.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Yesterday I took the mats out of the wife's car, I washed them and then let them dry outside. While they were drying, I vacuumed out the front with the mats going back in after I was done.

Today I backed both vehicles out of the garage, the garage floor is much cleaner after I took the push broom to it. Mopping it is next on the list and then throwing away a bunch of chit we never use.

I’ve been working some large red oak rounds the past week. I added a thumb to my tractor over the winter so I’ve gotta use it, right?
Large rounds make a ton of splits, without hydraulics on my side these would be completely unmanageable. I usually stray far away from pieces like these, but free and dropped off at my splitting area put me over the edge.

View attachment 329173

View attachment 329174

View attachment 329175
Can you split with that grapple?

Against my better judgement, I ordered one of those mini 6 inch battery powered chainsaws from the "TikTok Shop" to cut some splits to proper length and wow, I was actually impressed. Most of my splits are too long for my Jotul 602, and this will speed things up tremendously assuming it lasts at least a little bit. Started doing some trimming and so far, so good. Beats bringing out the electric chainsaw just to cut splits to length!

Wonderful work everyone and keep working because I am sitting here have a nice cup of tea.. About time you did some work WL---real work---this getting rid of stuff is really hard work and wish you would come out here and "clean my garage and truck mats--lol...Have a nice day everyone and the pictures are really nice and wl try to be good and spoil your family with a nice meal today for I know that your a stickler for spending any money...lol Bless you all....clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands